CrossFit Discussion Board  

Go Back   CrossFit Discussion Board > CrossFit Forum > Fitness
CrossFit Home Forum Site Rules CrossFit FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Fitness Theory and Practice. CrossFit's rationale & foundations. Who is fit? What is fitness?

Old 07-12-2010, 11:31 AM   #1
Jesse Gray

Profile:
Study finds correlation between C.O.G. and Speed

I saw this in the LA times this morning and found it very interesting. Essentially, slight physiological differences in people relating to where their natural center of gravity lies makes a big impact on their speed as either swimmers or runners. Black people tend to have a higher center of gravity (C.O.G.) which allows them to fall from a greater height, creating more running speed. White people tend to have longer torsos/lower C.O.G. which makes them better swimmers. Again, this is all on average and there is of course a cultural element but all in all, interesting stuff!

WFS Link
Old 07-12-2010, 11:39 AM   #2
Jason Wallis

Profile:
Re: Study finds correlation between C.O.G. and Speed

Racist.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jesse Gray View Post
I saw this in the LA times this morning and found it very interesting. Essentially, slight physiological differences in people relating to where their natural center of gravity lies makes a big impact on their speed as either swimmers or runners. Black people tend to have a higher center of gravity (C.O.G.) which allows them to fall from a greater height, creating more running speed. White people tend to have longer torsos/lower C.O.G. which makes them better swimmers. Again, this is all on average and there is of course a cultural element but all in all, interesting stuff!

WFS Link
Old 07-12-2010, 11:49 AM   #3
Jamie J. Skibicki

Profile:

How is that racist?
Old 07-12-2010, 11:50 AM   #4
Jesse Gray

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jason Wallis View Post
Racist.
Racist? Really? This is a study from a peer reviewed journal and one of the authors is an African American. Perhaps you should read the article before you say silly things.
Old 07-12-2010, 01:03 PM   #5
Greg Privitera

Profile:

No problem noticing difference in people, the problem is the way that people interpret things like "Blacks are better runners", etc.

There are a lot of white people that have longer legs/shorter torsos. A lot of times anthropometrics do not match up with skin color.

But yes, higher COG will generally mean faster runners.
Old 07-12-2010, 02:00 PM   #6
Jason Wallis

Profile:

Calm down guys, I was kidding. We all know that anytime it is suggested that there might be differences between the races, someone freaks out.
Old 07-12-2010, 02:02 PM   #7
Jamie J. Skibicki

Profile:

Hard to tell, I thought it might be sarcasm.
Old 07-12-2010, 02:35 PM   #8
David Meverden

Profile:

Yeah, I didn't read that as sarcasm. Help us out, give us a wink smiley face or something, bro!

P.S. Regarding the study, I have a low center of gravity partly due to huge legs (we can thank Mr. Rippetoe and gallons and gallons of milk for that one ) Can I use this as another excuse for being slow now? hehe
Old 07-12-2010, 03:49 PM   #9
Aushion Chatman

Profile:

Eh...debated whether to post this...so i did it on a word doc...anyway I believe I'm right so...here it is...it's long so...:

The reason I don't like people pointing out differences in races is because IMO there is only ONE race...Human. When you catch wind of this belief it really allows for true freedom of thought, there is no such thing then as "interracial" dating or marriage as that would mean a human is dating or marrying something other than a human...well, heh, I guess that can happen.

Before I go on, I understand that skin tone is a viable option for describing people, and is very useful I am not saying at any point below that saying "black" or "white" is wrong...although "yellow" and "red" seem to be wrong...(that is another discussion...) This is an aside, but personally I think "black" is a much more accurate term than "African American" which is a term I can't stand because it doesn't mean what we say it means...we don't mean African American (historically from Africa) because we don't use it for Egyptians or Libyans...What we mean, and what we should say is "black".

Okay, so what I think we really mean when we say "race" is "color" or "tone of color" but really we should mean "nationality"...Which is why the study is based on a paradigm of racism which is why it can be picked apart as racist...not because it is intentionally racist but because if you separate people as different races based on tone of color you are wrong by definition. What you mean is nationality...

This has at its root three very racist old thought paradigms IMHO.

The first is religious based, that Whites came from Adam and Eve and all other racists came from some race of people on Earth that are not descended from Adam and Eve but some sub-Adamic race.

The second is from evolutionist theory that blacks evolved from strong/but less intelligent gorillas, Asians evolved from the orangutan (smarter than gorillas), and whites evolved from the most intelligent primate of all the chimpanzee

The third is another evolutionist theory based thought that primates and swine actually evolved from white people and thus white people are less athletic, because they are further back on the evolutionary chain then primates and pigs...! This is from some radical Nation of Islam guys if you've never heard it (Elijah Muhammed - "Message to the Black Man in America")

No matter what we think, these views have been held by many people to a wide degree and pieces of the thought processes behind these have affected us...

Okay back to the article:

1) Athletic prowess is based on cultural factors, not "racial" (really nationality) factors...Many Kenyans are good at distance running because Kenya prides itself on distance running. Many Latin Americans have baseball in their culture growing up so there is a disproportionate representation from those nations in the MLB because it is their culture to play baseball, not because there is some special gene for the right baseball athleticism in Latin Americans. Most black American kids understand basketball and football are ways to get ahead while disadvantaged, it's part of the culture and has nothing to do with some genetic predisposition to athleticism...or is there a gene for table tennis that only Chinese people possess?

No, not race... culture, individual athletic genetic predisposition and individual goals and more importantly DRIVE are factors to do with each individual you see at an elite level in their sport.

2) The finding that C.O.G. being higher means you potentially can run faster has nothing to do with the biology of why you are the tone of color you are...

And even though the article says so in the first two paragraphs...for some inexplicable reason they then go on this diatribe about "black" people (separated by tone of color) have a 3% higher C.O.G. on avg than "white" people? Why does the article say "race" (by which they mean "tone of color") has little to do with it, THEN immediately say that race has something to do with it?? It's contradictory at best.

What I think they really mean, is some nationalities on avg have a higher C.O.G. than others...that is an accurate assessment.

That may sound like splitting hairs but it is not. I am not merely replacing the word race with nationality. There is more to it. When you say "black" you mean anyone with a certain tone of color, (which can vary from person to person what that even means) when you say "white" likewise you mean a certain perceived skin tone of color. When you say nationalities it is much more accurate and doesn't lead to gross stereotyping (lumping nationalities into one big group).

Stick with African nations, it is well documented that there are tribes where the avg height is very tall (Maasai) and there are tribes where the avg height is very short (Pygmy nations). Both tribes can have very similar skin tone of color...

3) The only difference between skin tone is the amount of the various melanins that are expressed...and it is skin tone not skin color because melanin is the same color for everybody, the degree of brown that you are is based on how much is expressed...i.e. the difference between "white" and "brown" skin tone is akin to the difference between sky blue and navy blue, not blue and red. Which is why it is tone of color vice different colors...

I hope that makes sense, again I do not think the article is racist I think the paradigm it is based on is bathed in racist paradigms, as there is really only ONE race, which is a much better view of the world and I believe the RIGHT view.
Old 07-12-2010, 03:57 PM   #10
Jesse Gray

Profile:

You are a wise man Aushion