CrossFit Discussion Board  

Go Back   CrossFit Discussion Board > CrossFit Forum > Exercises
CrossFit Home Forum Site Rules CrossFit FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Exercises Movements, technique & proper execution

Old 05-04-2005, 07:22 AM   #1
John Walsh

Profile:
I’m glad to see that the bench press gets thrown in the WOD from time to time. It validates that it is a good exercise despite all the anti bench press rhetoric I often hear. I will agree that in most gyms it is the second most abused exercise there is behind curls and that it is not even close to a top indicator of overall strength although it is a good strength exercise. I definitely damaged my left rotator cuff from years of powerlifting so heavy benching is precarious for me these days but I think it is must in an overall strength program. I can’t prove it but my suspicion is that those most vocal about how inferior the bench is or how they don’t care about the bench are in fact crappy benchers.
Old 05-04-2005, 08:29 AM   #2
Graham Hayes

Profile:
I can’t prove it but my suspicion is that those most vocal about how inferior the bench is or how they don’t care about the bench are in fact crappy benchers.

Guilty!
Old 05-04-2005, 08:39 AM   #3
Patrick Walsh

Profile:
Ok, I'll take this chance to ask how to bench with good form. I've always had a pathetic bench. I weigh 180 and pre crossfit I couldn't bench 135. I just recently pressed 170. Not impressive by any means, but quite an improvement w/o ever really working the bench.

So... any tips on how to bench with proper form?
Old 05-04-2005, 08:58 AM   #4
Mark Gebhard

Profile:
I feel significantly stronger, and my shoulders take less of a beating, when I bench with powerlifting form. You'll get a much better description doing a google search, but here are some of the basics: big arch in the back, shoulder blades pulled back and pressed into the bench, heels driven into the ground (helps with arch), lats are flexed, bar goes straight up and down touching around the bottom of the pec.
Old 05-04-2005, 09:04 AM   #5
John Walsh

Profile:
Pat,

Keep your shoulder blades pulled together and tight.

Keep the pressure on your upper back and traps.

Push the bar in a straight line.

Keep the elbows tucked and the bar directly over the wrists and elbows.

Bring the bar low on your chest or upper abdominals.

Fill your belly with air and hold it.

Squeeze the barbell and try to pull the bar apart.

Squeeze your glutes.

Keep your feet on the floor.

It should go without saying but don't arch off the bench or bounce the weight off your chest. Leave this technique to Billy Biceps.:wink:
Old 05-04-2005, 09:08 AM   #6
Mark Gebhard

Profile:
John,
Do you not believe in any back arch? Or do you mean, don't arch you butt off the bench? I was taught that the more arch you can get the better, as long as your butt is touching.
Old 05-04-2005, 09:14 AM   #7
John Walsh

Profile:
Mark,

A small arch is fine but your *** and shoulders must be on the bench. I'm talking about Billy Biceps who's *** is four feet off the bench as he rebounds the weight off his chest, while his spotter does assisted upright rows and say's "all you dude".:angry:
Old 05-04-2005, 09:30 AM   #8
Ben Kaminski

Profile:
I am also guilty of having a crappy bench. I have however decided to focus more on this problem, so all these form tips are really helpful. It's really nice to have all this information placed onto the forum, where it can be referred to in the future. While Google is great for finding out the same info, it's even better that the CF forum is slowly becoming a one-stop location for all kinds of fitness questions.

Also, the level of arch you have determines which muscles do the most work. If you arch like you're being electrocuted, you're moving the weight more like a dip, pushing down from your shoulders (almost like a decline bench). If you lay perfectly flat, your numbers go down because your serratus, lats, and similar muscle groups can't help as much. If you do incline then there is much more anterior shoulder work.

Given all this it's tough to say which form is best, the question becomes "which form do you want to use for the goal today?" Incline might help your HSPU/planche strength. Arching might help your dips. Then there is hand placement - sheesh I've made the point I wanted to make. I'll leave it to the more knowledgeable people to continue posting quality information.
Old 05-04-2005, 12:47 PM   #9
Steve Shafley

Profile:
For the "fitness" bencher, there are a few important things to do.

1. Pull your shoulders back and down (think "Big Chest" like Dan John is yelling at you)

2. Try to keep your upper arms at a 45 to a 60 angle from your torso. The 90 angle is where most people are most likely to encounter impingement problems with long term use.

John Walsh is outlining a more optimal form for the competitive bencher, who is attempting to lift the most possible weight. Reducing the ROM of the movement is an important part of this. I am not sure it's as valid for a Crossfitter who uses the bench press for a training move. It's up to the individual, I guess.

Old 05-04-2005, 12:48 PM   #10
Steve Shafley

Profile:
And, even now, the big benchers at Westside and in the Metal Militia are advocating a flare of the elbows at the top of the movement, especially for the shirted bencher.