CrossFit Discussion Board  

Go Back   CrossFit Discussion Board > CrossFit Forum > Fitness
CrossFit Home Forum Site Rules CrossFit FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Fitness Theory and Practice. CrossFit's rationale & foundations. Who is fit? What is fitness?

Old 01-30-2009, 08:00 PM   #1
Andrew Lallos

Profile:
Exclamation 20 Rep Clean and Jerks?!

http://www.t-nation.com/free_online_...chool_training (NOT w/f/s--it's t-nation, so barely clothed women...profanity...etc.)

..for those that can't/won't go to to T-Nation, I'll copy and paste the specifics of the program here. NOTE, THIS IS NOT MY PROGRAM IT IS HOSTED ON T-NATION.COM...AND I BELIEVE WRITTEN BY MIKE MAHLER OR PEARY RADER.

The Plan

If you're still reading, I trust that you know what a clean and jerk is, and you're pretty confident that your form is solid.

Start each workout with a few warm-up sets, using light weights, to get mentally and physically prepared.

For the first work set, do 12 reps. The last rep should be very hard, but don't compromise your form at any point. After that first set, do 15 pullovers with a light weight.

Rest two to three minutes.

Now do another clean and jerk sets, 10 to 12 reps, with a lighter weight than you used in the first set. Follow that immediately with another set of 15 pullovers.

Rest for a few minutes, and then do a final clean and jerk set, 15 to 18 reps, with an even lighter weight. Wrap up the workout with one more set of 15 pullovers.

Program details

Take three to six deep breaths after each complete rep of the clean and jerk. So clean the barbell to your shoulders, jerk it overhead, take it back to the floor, stand up without the weight, take your breaths, then start the next rep.

While I think that you could use dumbbells, kettlebells, or even sandbags for this program, I'd spend at least one month focusing on the basic barbell version. After a month, if you're really craving variety, and you can switch to kettlebells or dumbbells.

That said, the barbell clean and jerk is the best choice because it allows you to increase the load incrementally going from 200 to 205, or even from 200 to 202.5 if you need that small an increase. With dumbbells the smallest increase you can manage is usually five pounds in each hand, and with kettlebells you have even fewer incremental options.

This mass-building clean and jerk program is great if you're crunched for time, or looking for a way to shake up your training. It takes just 10 minutes to complete a workout, and unlike most quickie workouts, this one actually accomplishes something.

Thoughts about or feasablity as a mass/strength program?
Old 01-30-2009, 08:15 PM   #2
George Mounce

Profile:
Re: 20 Rep Clean and Jerks?!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Andrew Lallos View Post
Too many reps. Head on over to Performance Menu or Mike's gym.
Old 01-31-2009, 10:16 AM   #3
Jamie J. Skibicki

Profile:

I think it would work well for mass, much like a 20 rep squat program. I mean, this hits about every major muscle. You will have to eat alot, and I mean alot, to get the most out of this program.
Old 02-01-2009, 10:37 AM   #4
Jacob Cloud

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Andrew Lallos View Post
It's not the worst in the world, and just about anything will work with the right diet. Sounds like the base of the infamous Daniel Craig/007 workout from what I recall, though I believe he also squatted and had other assistance exercises.

But SS would be much, much better for most people.
Old 02-01-2009, 10:43 AM   #5
Frank E Morel

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jacob Cloud View Post
It's not the worst in the world, and just about anything will work with the right diet. Sounds like the base of the infamous Daniel Craig/007 workout from what I recall, though I believe he also squatted and had other assistance exercises.

But SS would be much, much better for most people.
got a link to it jacob? klinda interested in seeing what "the trainer" had him do/
Old 02-01-2009, 10:50 AM   #6
Jacob Cloud

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Frank E Morel View Post
got a link to it jacob? klinda interested in seeing what "the trainer" had him do/
Here's one link that popped up: http://www.squidoo.com/daniel-craig-workout (seems WFS, some minor scantily clad pics)

Apparently the trainer believes in "Turbulence Training," which is sorta kinda maybe a little similar to CF only in that it is relatively high intensity and focuses mostly on compound movements. http://fitnessblackbook.com/workout-...-loss-workout/ (Not as WFS - more scantily cladness)

Personally, I think the trainer and his "system" are a joke, but to each their own.