CrossFit Discussion Board  

Go Back   CrossFit Discussion Board > CrossFit Forum > Exercises
CrossFit Home Forum Site Rules CrossFit FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Exercises Movements, technique & proper execution

Old 03-31-2003, 07:48 AM   #1
Patrick Johnston

Profile:
After speaking to Robb yesterday (thanks a ton Robb, it was awesome). I started thinking about running stairs. Where I live it is far more convenient than running outside for distance. Can anyone (Coach, Robb, etc.) provide any sort of comparision between running a number of flights and a number of meters? Such as: 400m = 15 flights. This would be greatly appreciated. Thanks in advance.
Old 03-31-2003, 05:19 PM   #2
Roger Harrell

Profile:
Don't know of a good comparison, but I know that running stairs has helped my leg power tremendously. Don't have a clue if it's helped my distance endurance, but hey, I'm a gymnast what do I want to run 20 miles for? :-P

I run up to my office daily. 10 floors carrying about 25 lbs or so of stuff. Makes for a good wakeup. Has helped my vaulting a ton.
Old 03-31-2003, 07:10 PM   #3
Robert Wolf

Profile:
patrick- I think using a time index should help. Say 400m in < 60sec when fresh...the stair running will be a higher intensity activity so you will have to tinker your exertion to last for the longer bouts which bring you into a good lactate coma! An interesting way of regulating the exertion is to perform ladder type ascents in which you say run up a flight, turn down a flight, up two, down one (or two) up three down one, or two, or three...lots of variety here this allows an element of active recovery while emphasizing hip extension and exlosiveness on the ascent...let me know how it goes.

ps-cant wait to push tractors with you!
Robb