CrossFit Discussion Board  

Go Back   CrossFit Discussion Board > CrossFit Forum > Fitness
CrossFit Home Forum Site Rules CrossFit FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Fitness Theory and Practice. CrossFit's rationale & foundations. Who is fit? What is fitness?

Old 03-30-2007, 02:00 PM   #1
Jeremy Stegura

Profile:
I figured every other workout I do I'm going to do strength workouts.

The other day I did this with the deadlift. The workout itself wasnt too rigid or cemented in stone concerning rest periods or stopping points, I was just getting a feel for this kind of workout and figuring out where the "joints" are (joints are areas that could be used to scale up or down for progression) but I did it basically as such:

5,5,5,3,3,3,1,1,1 then after that last single, every 30 seconds I'd do a rep until 20 minutes has expired. The rest periods in the beginning for the 5's are 2 minutes, the 3's are 1 minute and then the 1's are one minute also tillt he last one then as I said I start doing the every 30 second reps.

I know it seems backwards, like i should be using less rest at the beginning for the 5's and longer for the singles but that's part of the plan.

Crappy methodology or what?
Old 04-01-2007, 12:21 AM   #2
Steven Low

Profile:
For pure strength, rest times should be ~2-3 minutes always.

3x5 will work fine especially if you're relatively newer (think Mark Rippetoe's Starting Strength). You don't have to have another 3x3 and 3x1 on top of it.
Old 04-01-2007, 04:24 PM   #3
David Wood

Profile:

Jeremy, use the search function for the phrase "ME Black Box" . . . your basic idea is very sound, and has been discussed extensively under that name ("ME" stands for "Max Effort"). Basically, you substitute the middle day of each 3-day CF sequence with an all-out "strength" day.

Coach Rutheford of CrossFit Kansas City is credited with popularizing it and giving it the name.

Moving this discussion to the "Fitness" section.