CrossFit Discussion Board  

Go Back   CrossFit Discussion Board > CrossFit Forum > Fitness
CrossFit Home Forum Site Rules CrossFit FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Fitness Theory and Practice. CrossFit's rationale & foundations. Who is fit? What is fitness?

Old 03-14-2007, 09:07 PM   #1
Dan Fanelli

Profile:
I decided to switch over to mainly HIIT or GPP. It started with tabata intervals on the bike, and burpee workouts, but now ive decided to do full body HIIT sessions. Im kinda doing mark twights 300-rep workout, but ive changed it a bit. Heres what ive been doing so far this week..
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
One circuit no rest of

Pullups x 8
Pushups x 15
Deadlift x 15 @ 135lbs
Box Jump x 15
Snatch x 8/8 single hand 35lb dumbell
Pushups x 15
Pullups x 8
------------
Floorwipers x 15

I got most of this from the "300 rep workout" but changed it a little, cause i like 1h snatches so much. This is pretty much 100 reps, i lowered the values a bit, and am gonna build up from there.

Im also going to include some intense Isometrics, and then eventually add back in my tabata intervals and buprees.
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------
My question is mainly on progression and periodization for this plan.?

Im starting with just the circuit above, and am thinking of doing 3 days on one day rest. I dont have too much experience with HIIT and am thinking that every day shouldn't be the exact same volume. Im also thinking that the intensity should be kept pretty high the whole time.

So should i have some days that i lower the reps and some days that I raise them? And if so, do you think i should have the first day of the week be the highest reps, and the day before rest be the lowest, or the other way around. And how should i raise the reps, +1 rep a week or what?

Hope someone can answer this question, thank you.
Old 03-15-2007, 05:05 AM   #2
Jesse Woody

Profile:
What are you overriding goals? For pure GPP you can't beat Crossfits tenant of constant variability. If, on the other hand, you are striving for other physical skills at the same time, you might have to arrange your training week differently.

You seem to be holding the increase in reps as the only variable worth changing. Keep in mind that you will gradually adapt and will be working only strength-endurance after a few weeks. Perhaps vary the reps, load and parameters within each week to vary the stimulus.
Old 03-15-2007, 06:26 AM   #3
Larry Lindenman

Profile:
What's your training history? Programs, years lifting, and BP, Squat, DL, Military Press numbers. Do you have a Tabata Squat Number? How old are you, what's your diet like?
Old 03-15-2007, 07:27 AM   #4
Dan Fanelli

Profile:
My goal is to basically adapt to this program a bit. Im not looking to increase the reps to the 300 that mark twight has, but i wouldn't mind doubling all the reps first. Then i think i'll probably move on to somme of the crossfit workouts and continue to build strength as well.

As for my training backround, id say I have about 6-8 years of trainig, but considering how long its been, im not in great shape. I spent most of that time learning how to build muscle, and not focusing on strength or endurance.

I dont BP, or Squat regularly, but if i had to guess, id say i could BP about 225, and sqaut near 275. Ive never max DL but i have repped 275 a couple of times.

Im 23 y.o. have a good diet, 5'11" 175-180lbs. Im a kinesiology major, looking into strength and conditioning, and will probably want to eventually get certified in crossfit. I really just like Mark twigths program, cause its fully body, and for the most part, can be done in any corner of the gym. But I do understand that after about 15 reps or so, most exercises wont be doing much other than endurance.

Right now, ive tried that workout listed above, and the Pullups are probably the only thing thats really hard. I can do he first set of 8, but by the end of the workout the last set of 8 is tough. Like i said though, i'd like to increase the reps on most things to around 20, and then can start adding weight to things.

BUT.... If you think in varying my work daily/weekly, i should vary the intensity of the different exercises before i increase the reps so much, then i might think of doing that.

I do know that from experience, i repsond much better to high intensity low reps, than lower intensity high reps. My problem has never been strength though, more likely endurance. Thanks everyone
Old 03-15-2007, 07:30 AM   #5
Dan Fanelli

Profile:
Oh one other thing, im using this program sort of to build up a strength/endurance base, and then im planning on adding a lot of high intensity isometric type exercises.

A while back i started progressing on the HSPU progression and planche progression, as well as L-holds. I really like those type of intense exercises, and will probably be using them as my main source of increasing strength, outside of CF type circuit training.
Old 03-15-2007, 02:36 PM   #6
Larry Lindenman

Profile:
Dan, just doing one workout is really not the way to go. You might want to try the Workout of The Day (WOD) posted on the home page. That 300 workout was one of many Mark threw at the crew. I am coming to believe the first thing people new to CF need to do is get on the Starting Strength program. It's a basic program consisting of Squats, Presses, Bench presses, deadlifts, and hangcleans. Three days a week, basic 5 X 5 or 3 X 5 work. Form, basic strength, consistancy, then intensity. You are starting with intensity...not a good way to go. A little work in the trenches now will give you awesome gains in the future.
Old 03-15-2007, 03:34 PM   #7
Don Stevenson

Profile:
I second what Larry has said.

All of my clients start out with very basic work on squats, deadlifts, overhead pressing and bodyweight drills in a 5x5 or similar fashion with a very short <10 minute conditioning workout to finish with.

As you get fitter you can increase your conditioning work but just choosing one workout and repeating it endlessly is the absolute opposite of the CF approach
Old 03-15-2007, 03:52 PM   #8
Kevin Burns

Profile:
Larry,

Why is intensity not a good way too start out ?

Old 03-15-2007, 04:23 PM   #9
Nick Cummings

Profile:

Kevin, would you put intensity before form, basic strength, or consistancy? That is what your question implies unless you are looking for an explanation of that heirarchy.
Old 03-15-2007, 04:32 PM   #10
Kevin Burns

Profile:
Well you can build strength while having intensity. They aren't mutually exclusive to each other. I would agree that doing a lot of the O-lifting type workouts you should learn the proper form before using them in an intensity type workout. For that reason alone I don't do some of the WODs that require snatches because I simply haven't learned the proper form yet and don't want to risk injury. Based on that I don't see an issue though in starting out with intensity workouts. It would also depend on an individuals goals. I tend to prefer metcon endurance stuff myself since it suits me better for what i'm training for (mountain climbing).