CrossFit Discussion Board  

Go Back   CrossFit Discussion Board > CrossFit Forum > Digital Coaching
CrossFit Home Forum Site Rules CrossFit FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Digital Coaching Post pictures or movies for critique and coaching

Old 10-01-2008, 11:56 PM   #1
Claus Moller Jensen

Profile:
Setting/Selecting goals (Mental coaching needed)

Greetings,

I looked over the list of forums, and while this one seems to focus on the coaching of exercises, I'm looking for some more mental coaching. I hope it's the proper forum, but if not, feel free to move the thread.

Anyhoo...

Backstory:
I just turned 38 on the 29th of September, and earlier this year I decided I wanted to complete the Berlin Marathon, near my 40th birthday (this year, the marathon was on the 27th, so it'll be a fun gift for myself ). That's a two year goal, and considering how injury prone I am, two years is probably a decent target date.
I'm also overweight at approx. 25-26% Body fat, so I need to shed a lot of that deadweight in order to perform better.

So I have two overall goals:
  • Run the Berlin Marathon in 2010
  • Lose approx. 30 lbs in as many weeks (I am being purposely non-specific on the weight loss, to take into account potential muscle growth).
Now, I need more goals, but I'm having a hard time figuring out a list of intermediate SMART (Specific, Measurable, Achievable, Relevant, Time Specific) goals on my way to 2010.
Clearly both my current goals fulfill these criteria, but I need something short-term as well.. a monthly goal, a weekly goal and.. if possible all the way down to a training-session goal.
Also (and I'm just brain-storming a bit here) some of my goals need not be crossfit specific, but should probably be inspired by, or in part, powered by Crossfit training.
I guess that beating your own best time for any named WOD is a goal, but it's not exactly SMART material, as it's not time specific, since I don't know when the WODs will show up (and I try to follow the WODs to keep myself from taking the easy road).
I've also considered a goal of when I can complete a WOD as Rx'ed, but that is non-specific, as I have in theory already done so, by running a 5K.

So, I need inspiration and goals for:
Monthly goal
Weekly goal

Thanks for the assistance.

/Claus M
Old 10-02-2008, 11:09 AM   #2
Brian Bedell

Profile:
Re: Setting/Selecting goals (Mental coaching needed)

Start the wod's from 6 months ago by accessing the archives; now your time specific.

Use Rippetoes strenght chart of lb goals.

You'll have to come up with something on your own for the marathon, we don't really "do" LSD (long slow distance); maybe check CFE.
Old 10-02-2008, 11:38 AM   #3
Chris Scott

Profile:

It might be wise to continue scaling the WODs for a while. On the main site under "start here" on the left navbar, there's a link to "BrandX scaled workouts." It's a good resource, and you can set goals related to moving up in levels.

Many people use specific movements as goals: deadhang pullup, muscleup, etc.

As for the marathon, I don't know a thing about that stuff, but the forum at performancemenu.com (written stuff is w/f/s, vids probably so) has lots of very smart people, and there's a dedicated endurance section. Between that and Crossfit Endurance, you should be able to find something.

Good luck!
Old 10-02-2008, 12:22 PM   #4
Claus Moller Jensen

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brian Bedell View Post
Start the wod's from 6 months ago by accessing the archives; now your time specific.
I'm sorry, this I just don't understand? Are you saying I need to do Crossfit for 6 months before I can set a monthly goal? That makes little sense to me.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brian Bedell View Post
Use Rippetoes strenght chart of lb goals.
Could you help me with the source for this? Where can I find this chart?

I don't need help with the marathon itself. I was probably being unclear, but running and completing the marathon is a goal in itself. Time is irrelevant for that particular goal.

What I was aiming for was: What would be an interesting goal, or idea for a goal on a much shorter timeline, such as a week or a month.

In the meantime though, I've discovered the Crossfit Total, which I'm thinking would be a good measure, but I'd like to know if I can use it on a monthly basis and expect gains? Or is that on a bit of a longer timeline?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chris Scott
It might be wise to continue scaling the WODs for a while. On the main site under "start here" on the left navbar, there's a link to "BrandX scaled workouts." It's a good resource, and you can set goals related to moving up in levels.
This is an interesting idea, and I thought about doing this. But the WOD's are so different in their difficulty that it's hard to make the goal specific and measurable. How would you go about doing that?
In my case, anything with a muscle up or a handstand pushup is impossible, whereas a 5k is quite doable, albeit at a slow time.

Thank you both for your input though, as well as the link suggestions. Much to consider, since I like to keep my mind in and on my training as well as my body
Old 10-02-2008, 01:15 PM   #5
Frank E Morel

Profile:

ahem....

i THINK you should venture a trip to Copenhagen and see the CF gang there and get some basic instruction done first and then venture from there.
There were a couple of the guy in my barbell cert in seattle in the summer, and I do know that they were going to be cert in level one.
Otherwise your going to set yourself up for failure which is the last thing you need. This way, you get some one on one instruction and get the correct forms of the movements down, Your in your 40s, damage is easy to do and longer to heal. Correct form will aid in preventing that.
2- It will help you stay motivated, your goal is along way off but not really and its easy to fall of the track.

If I was you...

One- get some one on one on crossfit movements..

two.. be not so focus on the milestones of crossfit like a muscle up just focus on the basics. LIke doing a starting strength cycle of squats, deadlifts, bench and cleans. This will aid on the next level

three.. the basic wod are the heroes and the girls..
use this as its the above work outs and are scaled to a do able level for most.. if not scale further.
wfs
http://www.mensjournal.com/healthFit...kout_20minutes.
I would do these for three months before moving to more varied cf wod.
like the brandx or just modified the above program a bit more.

four- since running is a goal, then incorp the cf endurance program.
that means, doing your wod in the morn and then recommend endurance wod in the pm.
meantime, keeping running but say 2k and work up the 5k focus to improve times. Once the your weight is stabilized.. you will need to increase your klicks.

five- Start looking at a diet program... several options avail.. do your own research and see which will fit into your personality.. basic school of thought... if it comes in a box.. dont eat it.

Six- take rest days,

Rest of the program is really up to you in the motivation department.. many come here with the usual goals of wanting to be bigger stronger bulky... but end up finding its hard work.

Change is drastic ... so change up small stuff first and not all at the same time as the brain and body are lazy, both tend to like no work, and repetition.
remember the tortoise beats the rabbit every time in the story.. and there is a reason for it.... patience and self motivation .

good luck

Last edited by Frank E Morel : 10-02-2008 at 01:19 PM.
Old 10-02-2008, 02:49 PM   #6
Claus Moller Jensen

Profile:

Thanks a lot for the training advice.
It's greatly appreciated.
I reread my initial post, and realized I sounded like I just started out, and was looking for motivation, but that's a bit exaggerated actually.. I can't remember when I started crossfitting the first time, but I know I started it seriously around March. Unfortunately Real Life got in the way of training, and so I started up again in August, and have been doing the BrandX scaled WOD's almost religiously since then.

Forgive my brevity, but it's close to midnight, and I need my beauty sleep, so in response to your great suggestions:

one - Although not from a crossfitter, I have gotten instruction, so I can put a checkmark next to this.
two - The whole point of the original post was to find minor goals, something I gather is not recommended in general, however, I must insist that I find goals to be invaluable.
three - I'm already on the BrandX scaled WODs
four - I'm already incorporating CF Endurance
five - I'm already on the zone
six - I'm on my first of two rest days, as I am typing this

So I guess I already took most of your advice, which is nice confirmation that I'm moving along in the proper direction.
As for Crossfit Copenhagen I surf their site daily, envious that I cannot make it in there due to time constraints.
I barely have the time to train, let alone add in 90 minutes worth of driving to each training session, so unfortunately, I am on my own, whether I like it or not. And considering the choices I have at this time, I think training alone is the lesser evil.

Thank you again for the training advice, and for confirming that what I am doing at the moment, is (within the limits imposed) doing the best I can
Old 10-02-2008, 03:34 PM   #7
Shane Skowron

Profile:

Well I would say stick with Crossfit as close to rx'd as you can get for awhile, and maybe throw in CFE once or twice per week. Two years is more than enough time for basically anyone anywhere to train for a marathon. In fact you might not even want to start thinking about distance running until one year from now.

The CFE will make you faster and since it incorporates HIIT, it will cause you to lose a lot of weight quickly. Once you have a good speed base and have low BF, you can begin to work on specifically training for your marathon. Who knows, if you work hard enough you may be feel fit by next March and by that time you'll be ready to train for the marathon in 2009, not 2010.

As far as immediate goals, work on your mile time I'd say. First do a benchmark. Then try to beat it every week after one of your WODs. Eventually you'll get it down to 9,8,7,6 minutes before you know it.

You can practice some gymnastics skills after your WOD too, and see you how improve each month. Don't get hung up on having to complete them, but just practice and they'll definitely get better.
Old 10-02-2008, 07:51 PM   #8
Júlíus Magnússon

Profile:

There's some sound advice here.

I just want to add, since you mentioned being injury prone, that you should get your running technique down 100% before you start tackling long distances. Correct technique is often overlooked but it makes all the difference when it comes to running injuries. Get your POSE down.
Old 10-03-2008, 11:42 AM   #9
Brian Bedell

Profile:

If you go back 6 months in the archives then you will know when the next cft, fran, etc. is coming up. You will then have time specific goals. Or just make some goals that your fran time will decrease one minute this month or something. It's hard in CF to set those kinda goals b/c usually you don't know when stuff is coming up. Your goal is just to beat your last time.

You can do a search for the strenght chart, or it might be in the Faq.