CrossFit Discussion Board  

Go Back   CrossFit Discussion Board > CrossFit Forum > Starting
CrossFit Home Forum Site Rules CrossFit FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Starting For newcomers to the CrossFit methodology

Old 08-14-2008, 06:04 PM   #1
Kyle Clayton

Profile:
Fran Advice

Tried to do a Fran today. My background is that I've been training CF-esque, using Ross Enamait's books which I absolutely love. For some variation, I decided to mix in some CF stuff recently and today was my first Fran.

The problem I ran into was that I am apparently too big of a weenie for the thrusters. I had no problem with the squat portion or the conditioning and did fine on the pull-ups but after 22 thrusters I couldn't push anymore. My shoulders just aren't strong enough for 45 total reps of 95 pounds.

Any advice on building up shoulder strength to deal with Fran? It really drove me crazy that one little element prevented me from doing the workout as rx'ed.

For the record, I'm a 6'1 159lb male. My workouts for the past several months have centered around my core, pullups and pushups, and olympic lifts which included push presses and such. I was moving up weight consistently, too. Apparently I still haven't improved enough to do the push press part of thrusters, though.
Old 08-14-2008, 06:50 PM   #2
lisa taylor

Profile:
Re: Fran Advice

How hard and fast are you coming up out of the squat?

Are you opening your hips all the way?
Old 08-14-2008, 06:59 PM   #3
Shane Skowron

Profile:

Well first off, you should probably work on deadlifts, squats, bench, and press because you need to gain some weight (at least if you want to excel at CF).

You should use the momentum from the front squat of the thruster to help you push up the barbell over your head. If this is what you are doing and you reach muscular failure, you should strive to increase your shoulder strength.

For shoulder strength: do overhead presses, push presses, jerks, handstand pushups. Dips, pushups, bench press will help to an extent also. Do some of these exercises 3-5 times a week at varying reps and weights. E.g. press 5x5, push press 5x3, jerk 5x1 one day, weighted dips 5x5 another day, HSPU work another day, the "JT" workout another day, 5x5 bench press another day, etc.

Starting Strength may be a good read for you if you are interested in getting stronger over a period of a couple weeks. You will get very strong all over, including the press.

Last edited by Shane Skowron : 08-14-2008 at 07:01 PM.
Old 08-14-2008, 07:56 PM   #4
Andrew Wilson

Profile:

Have you tried it with 65#? Then progress?
I went from a 18:34 as rx'd to a 6:14 rx'd this way
Old 08-14-2008, 11:17 PM   #5
Theresa Meyer

Profile:

I wouldn't worry about Fran specifically. Remember, we are to specialize in not specializing, and to train with improving a specific WOD in mind would be compromising the intent of CrossFit. Follow the WODs, and your dominance over Fran will come.
Old 08-15-2008, 02:02 PM   #6
Trent Cleveland

Profile:

I've been doing CF for over a year now, and I did what was mentioned earlier, start out with a lesser weight. On top of that, about six months ago I started adding in 3 sets of 10 handstand push-ups to my workouts which helped me a great deal. Good luck, and keep up the work.
Old 08-15-2008, 03:22 PM   #7
Kyle Clayton

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shane Skowron View Post
Well first off, you should probably work on deadlifts, squats, bench, and press because you need to gain some weight (at least if you want to excel at CF).

You should use the momentum from the front squat of the thruster to help you push up the barbell over your head. If this is what you are doing and you reach muscular failure, you should strive to increase your shoulder strength.

For shoulder strength: do overhead presses, push presses, jerks, handstand pushups. Dips, pushups, bench press will help to an extent also. Do some of these exercises 3-5 times a week at varying reps and weights. E.g. press 5x5, push press 5x3, jerk 5x1 one day, weighted dips 5x5 another day, HSPU work another day, the "JT" workout another day, 5x5 bench press another day, etc.

Starting Strength may be a good read for you if you are interested in getting stronger over a period of a couple weeks. You will get very strong all over, including the press.

I am actually trying to lose weight in the form of body fat in order to compete in a lower weight class in BJJ. I still have about 5-10 pounds of midsection fat I can drop.

I came out of the thrusters explosively, which is why I figured it was a shoulder strength issue and everyone seems to confirm that fact. I guess I just need to check my ego and do the women's weight until I can blow through thrusters.

As a disclaimer, I'm not simply trying to improve my Fran, I'm working out with the goal of improving all my weak areas that I spot. Shoulder strength seems to be one of them.
Old 08-15-2008, 04:02 PM   #8
Peter Williams

Profile:

On the surface it seems you need to lower the weight for the time being. Shoulders may be a weakness, but you want to lower the weight to one that allows you to finish the workout/all reps.

Meanwhile, just keep banging away at the daily WODS and the strength should come - or take 4 weeks and do a strength phase.
Old 08-15-2008, 04:07 PM   #9
George Mounce

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kyle Clayton View Post
I am actually trying to lose weight in the form of body fat in order to compete in a lower weight class in BJJ. I still have about 5-10 pounds of midsection fat I can drop.

I came out of the thrusters explosively, which is why I figured it was a shoulder strength issue and everyone seems to confirm that fact. I guess I just need to check my ego and do the women's weight until I can blow through thrusters.

As a disclaimer, I'm not simply trying to improve my Fran, I'm working out with the goal of improving all my weak areas that I spot. Shoulder strength seems to be one of them.
Add handstand push-ups to your warm-up and do 1 or 2 throughout the day when you think about them. Believe me, they will add up and you will get stronger fast.

If you can't do a free-standing handstand yet, work those as well. Your shoulders will thank you.
Old 08-15-2008, 06:51 PM   #10
Charles Bennington

Profile:

I would take 5 weeks and go strength intensive, deload for a week, and then go to Rxed WODs.