CrossFit Discussion Board  

Go Back   CrossFit Discussion Board > Community > Running a CrossFit Facility
CrossFit Home Forum Site Rules CrossFit FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Running a CrossFit Facility Tips and guidance on how to open and operate a CrossFit gym.

Old 08-07-2008, 12:13 AM   #1
Matthew Vassallo

Profile:
My trip and mini-review to Crossfit Revolution - Tampa FL

Review:

Crossfit Revolution (WFS)
http://crossfitrevolution.blogspot.com/

930 Lithia Pinecrest Rd.
Brandon, FL 33510

workout attended: 4pm-7pm weekdays

I checked out Crossfit Revolution today after seeing some posts on the main message board. I spoke to Eric on the phone, and I decided I'd go over there for a WOD today.

located in brandon off lithia pinecrest road

inside of a large gymnastics facility.

http://photos-d.ak.facebook.com/phot...25539_8666.jpg

where's crossfit??
oh, up there:

http://photos-c.ak.facebook.com/phot...25538_7636.jpg

equipment they have

awesome pullup station;

four concept 2 model C rowers;

plyo platforms of different heights;
http://photos-f.ak.facebook.com/phot...725541_804.jpg

and what's that in the background....
BAR. PLATFORM. BUMPERS.
http://photos-g.ak.facebook.com/phot...25542_1946.jpg

bumpers are great quality, platform is great, bars are so-so. but they DO have women's bars! That's a first.

This place is also air conditioned.

lots of medicine balls;

A york GHD machine :-o

and plenty of kettlebells. ( i was able to do a 100lb weighted pistol today!)
http://photos-b.ak.facebook.com/phot...25545_5099.jpg

Not to mention rings as well, and the squat cage as mentioned. Basically this place has almost everything you need for a basic crossfit gym.

We decided to do something ' different ', so we opted for

Karen
150 10' Wall Ball shots, for time.
I used a 14# dynamax ball, he used a 20# as rx'ed.

Little did we know, Karen is actually today's (the very next day, 8 hours later) workout!! hahahaha. that's awesome. lol. talk about ESPN or something.

Eric's very friendly, strong, and intelligent. he knows his stuff. He smoked my time with 5 something minutes on his Karen, mine was 7:24, having never done it. 80 to 100 was tough. 100-150 i was able to crank out pretty well.

The clientele @ crossfit revolution is primarily women. I saw aabout 5 women come and go in the time that I was there. While they are still starting out, i would have liked to see a little more intensity, fewer talking, and fewer breaks out of them. It to me seemed closer to a bootcamp or fitness circuit that personal trainers would do as opposed to crossfit. While functional movements were being done in random fashion, they weren't exactly being done at high intensity. However when my WOD came up, we went all out, and it worked great ; I just didn't necessarily see the same out of some of the other clients. Eric seems to be doing a great job of scaling the workouts for his customer base, but I want to see them more exhausted at the end of their workout, not talking about where they're going later on for dinner.

While the space upstairs was a bit cramped, they are expanding to take over the lower level as well, which should add another 1800 square feet or so to the area. that should free things up considerably. I don't think more than four people can work out at crossfit revolution at one time without major problems occuring, but it's being taken care of already.

for unlimited classes at crossfit revolution pricing starts at $150 a month. Student / Fire / Police / Military discounts are available.

The worst thing about crossfit revolution : it's a bit of a drive for me.

The best thing about crossfit revolution : the olympic platform.

If you're near Brandon, Florida i strongly suggest you check them out;

Last edited by Matthew Vassallo : 08-07-2008 at 12:16 AM. Reason: WFS link add
Old 08-07-2008, 04:14 AM   #2
Eric Auciello

Profile:
Re: My trip and mini-review to Crossfit Revolution - Tampa FL

Good review I cant say that I disagree with any of your points Thanks for coming by. E
Old 08-07-2008, 05:48 AM   #3
Matt Schellinger

Profile:

Thanks for the review, I will have to try to get in there when time and money permit.
Old 08-07-2008, 09:07 AM   #4
Jason M Struck

Profile:

it's very difficult to 'teach' intensity.

especially to women, who have been taught not to express physical aggression or to exert themselves too hard or lift heavy or whatever the case may be their entire lives.
Old 08-07-2008, 09:45 AM   #5
Matthew Vassallo

Profile:

having done a good bit of personal training / helping 5 or 6 of my girlfriends lose weight, i can agree that they never want to express aggression, but they definitely have it in them. one of the easiest ways i've brought that out was playing catch with a dynamax ball. It can be done, it just takes time
Old 08-07-2008, 11:04 AM   #6
Greg Major

Profile:

Hey Matt, Good review. I'm curious in what way did the lack of intensity seem like a bootcamp? I'm a CrossFitter and I've been running a Bootcamp for 10 years. I'm not trying to pick a fight here, just curious what your thought process is on that. It always helps to know what peoples perceptions are. It can be a great way to improve your business.
Old 08-08-2008, 06:15 AM   #7
Melissa Urban

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Matthew Vassallo View Post
having done a good bit of personal training / helping 5 or 6 of my girlfriends lose weight, i can agree that they never want to express aggression, but they definitely have it in them. one of the easiest ways i've brought that out was playing catch with a dynamax ball. It can be done, it just takes time
Whoa - don't say "never". Some of us quite enjoy working our aggression out on heavy a** weights.

And it goes without saying that lots of people - women AND men - simply do not have it in them. And that's okay. But if we're talking about those people that do, but just don't quite know how to get there, I will agree with Jason. It IS hard to teach 'intensity', but that's not just a female thing. In general, most people just starting out with CrossFit probably don't fully grasp the concept right away. I doubt most of us can honestly say we gave our first month of CrossFit workouts an absolute 100% effort every single time. I can't, because I didn't realize when I first started how hard I really could push myself.

I've seen plenty of women dig right in and get dirty, sweaty and mean once they realize that's what the workouts call for. As a trainer, I think you have to try as many different ways as possible to bring that out in people, whether it's showing a client the "Nasty Girls" video, tough-loving them through another 10# on the bar or hucking a Dynamax at their head. But you also have to understand - that may happen quickly, or it may take six months of CrossFitting for the light to turn on. Don't discount the ladies working the routines faithfully, but without what you estimate as 100% intensity. All it takes is one "light bulb" moment before they're stomping their feet, shaking their pigtails and kicking your butt in Fight Gone Bad.

Melissa
Old 08-08-2008, 07:08 AM   #8
Eric Auciello

Profile:

Matt is a good guy/crossfitter and I appreciate him coming out to review my box...I dont think his intensity comment was a dig on women...I see it as constructive critisism...intended for me as a trainer. Feedback whether good or bad helps me be a better trainer...and I appreciate it. I need to push some of my clients a bit more...today I did The white board read "For Time: Means go as fast as possible! If you have time to chat, towel off, etc. you are not going fast enough." -MNGMNT

On the other hand if you read Rip's Practical Programing ...a novice trainee can improve their squat by simply riding a bike. Scalability is important for special populations (obese, elderly, heart patients etc.) ...intensity will come around eventually...30 years of poor living cant be remedied in a week.
Old 08-08-2008, 07:17 AM   #9
Melissa Urban

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eric Auciello View Post
The white board read "For Time: Means go as fast as possible! If you have time to chat, towel off, etc. you are not going fast enough." -MNGMNT
Nice! I love it, gets the point across nicely.

I really enjoy Matt's posts, and I definitely didn't take it as a dig. I really like to see CrossFit women get down and dirty with the WODs, and I bet as a trainer it's hard to figure out how to best get them there.

The next time I'm down in FL visiting my Dad, I'd love to drop in and check your place out.

Melissa
Old 08-08-2008, 09:39 AM   #10
Eric Auciello

Profile:

Melissa, you are always welcome I'll meet you in Manchester when I'm up there visiting my Mom thnx e