CrossFit Discussion Board  

Go Back   CrossFit Discussion Board > CrossFit Forum > Fitness
CrossFit Home Forum Site Rules CrossFit FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Fitness Theory and Practice. CrossFit's rationale & foundations. Who is fit? What is fitness?

Old 08-30-2006, 09:38 AM   #1
Frank Menendez

Profile:
Two days ago after doing the SLDL I aggravated my injured back (which by the way was doing excellent since I started CF over 5 months ago!), i've also been getting some slight discomfort on the right shoulder, as well as an overall lack of energy and motivation.

I'm sure the fact that I started school, my meals are spaced a up to 6 hours apart depending on the day, and waking up at 6am v. 8am are factors in how I feel, so would you guys recommend some time off, or would it be more beneficial to push through it?

(Message edited by frankm007 on August 30, 2006)
Old 08-30-2006, 09:46 AM   #2
Ben Kaminski

Profile:
If you want to continue, then stick to exercises and workouts that don't aggravate your injuries in any way.

If it were me I would not want to take a week off, because personally, coming back from those can be more painful than it is worth.

Work out a sustainable schedule for yourself to incorporate your new classes and eating schedule. This might mean packing a lunch or something. This will help you get your energy back on track.
Old 08-30-2006, 11:40 AM   #3
Russ Greene

Profile:

Take a week off. Anything that you built up over 5 months will not disappear in a week, and you will come back fresh, healthy, and motivated. I find that when I don't allow my body time off, it takes it, by getting sick. I'd rather rest before injury/sickness/burnout than after.

(Message edited by sinai16 on August 30, 2006)
Old 08-30-2006, 11:49 AM   #4
Jim Glover

Profile:
I take a week off or do only very light training every 3 to 4 weeks.

This allows me to keep my intensity up through a 3 to 4 week cycle.

But the best thing once you've been training for an extended period of time is to listen to your body.

If your performance is suffering and tweaking your diet or sleep pattern doesn't help then I feel that time off is a great thing.
Old 08-30-2006, 12:34 PM   #5
Josh Brehm

Profile:
I hate taking a week off for recovery. Whenever I do I get out of the habit of working out daily, and the rest of my schedual often fall out of wack due to part of it missing, so what I do is I spend a week doing working with this type of format: light stretching and some light bodyweight movements for a warm up, and then work for 15-20 minutes on some light gymnastics/oly lifting/KB skills. Example, I might do 3x10 seconds on some lever or planche, and some handstand practice, then do 3x3 clean and jerk, with light easy weight to practice form, and then do my normal stretch routine. I just don't like to take an entire week off and do no organized workouts.
Old 08-31-2006, 12:23 PM   #6
Eva Twardokens

Profile:
TAKE THE WEEK OFF AND TAKE CARE OF YOURSELF! Please, you won't lose fitness in one week, it is more detrimental to do too much than too little. I have made the mistake before and it has cost me big time..like World Championship and World Cup results suffering from the "more is better" ideal....if you are healthy you will come back from your week off with PR's out the back end! I suggest one week off for every 6 weeks of training...it gives your body a chance to catch up. I have said it several times before on this site: the quality of your training is only as good as the quality of your rest!!
Old 08-31-2006, 01:02 PM   #7
Motion Macivor

Profile:
I agree with russ and eva 100%. I might go a bit further by suggesting that you pamper yourself a bit during your rest week. Lots of stretching, some time in the hot tub, a massage or two, good nutrition and lots of sleep. Think of yourself as a race horse. Dont run yourself into the ground. Work hard and then rest well to recover. Each time you do this you will come back stronger.

hope that helps
Old 08-31-2006, 01:07 PM   #8
Eva Twardokens

Profile:
Yes, pamper yourself, you probably deserve it, and need it. I second the "Motion." LOL!I love laughing at my own jokes..I am SUCH a DORK!
Old 08-31-2006, 01:09 PM   #9
Motion Macivor

Profile:
PS
It's almost imposible to fully recover when your dealing with high stress and little sleep (school). Finding time to take a 1/2 hour nap, or even 20min to close your eyes and rest your brain if you cant actually sleep, will make a huge difference.