CrossFit Discussion Board  

Go Back   CrossFit Discussion Board > CrossFit Forum > Workout of the Day
CrossFit Home Forum Site Rules CrossFit FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Workout of the Day Questions & performance regarding CrossFit's WOD

Old 05-12-2008, 09:26 AM   #1
Don Reynolds

Profile:
MU Sub Advice Needed

Hey everyone. Today's WoD consists of 30 MU's or 120 dips/pull-ups. Problem is that I can barely get two pull-ups and zero dips on rings.

Would it be better to put a block under the rings to squat down on for assistance to help learn form for the MU's? Or should I use the same block, or even jumping for negatives, for the pull-up/dips?
Old 05-12-2008, 09:51 AM   #2
Tom Nolan

Profile:
Re: MU Sub Advice Needed

Quote:
Originally Posted by Don Reynolds View Post
Hey everyone. Today's WoD consists of 30 MU's or 120 dips/pull-ups. Problem is that I can barely get two pull-ups and zero dips on rings.

Would it be better to put a block under the rings to squat down on for assistance to help learn form for the MU's? Or should I use the same block, or even jumping for negatives, for the pull-up/dips?
One suggestion I have is to place a chair under/near the pull-up bar, seat facing away from you. Place a foot or two on the back of the chair. This will take weight off your lift thereby making it easier to do the pull ups. The pull-up becomes harder the farther the chair is from the bar.

First start with two legs, then as they get "easier," drop to one leg on the chair, then use one leg to get up, no legs to drop to the bottom(negatives). You should improve as you go. As you tire, you could also "add" legs to the chair.

For the dips you can do them from a bench. With you feet on the floor (back to the bench), and legs extended, you can complete the dips with less weight on your arms/shoulders. Once you get better, you can place your feet on a chair, then move to a dip station.

I hope this helps!
Old 05-12-2008, 11:21 AM   #3
Don Reynolds

Profile:

Hey Tom. That's mostly what I had in mind for assistance, but instead was going to use a block to stand on that puts me about eye level with my pull up bar. Some very nice suggestion for progression that should be useful.

I wasn't sure whether to focus on the dips/pull-ups, or to try muscle ups with something like the examples you listed, but then figured it made more sense to get strong on the basic elements before worrying about a MU.

Anyways, thanks for the suggestion.
Old 05-15-2008, 05:24 AM   #4
Tres O Johnson

Profile:

I had some questions regarding this workout as well.

I run one cycle behind the main site's WoD so I have this one coming up later this afternoon. Thing is I can't do a MU, though I've never tried but I have no rings or bar that is high enough upon which to test my theory, so I will be doing the substituted 120 pull-ups and dips. The problem there is that I suck at pull-ups. At the most I can do 6-8 pull-ups at 220# bodyweight, from there on out I will probably be forced to do singles . The dips (are these bar dips?) I'm not too bad at. I believe that I can complete the 120 given enough time. My question is this: If I'm doing the subbed workout what's the best way to complete the pull-ups? I have an assisted pull-up/dip station available to use at my GloboGym. Should I use that station and keep adding assist weight to complete the full 120 reps or do I select an assist weight and take as long as I need (while trying to maintain intensity) to complete the 120 pull-ups? This area is a weakness for me and I want/need to eliminate it asap!
Old 05-15-2008, 09:46 PM   #5
Alex Rosch

Profile:

You should try greasing the groove.
Do multiple set through the day, never to failure. So if you're getting 6-8, only do 4 reps per set. Gradually increase the reps over weeks...that is something like 1 rep per week (maybe more). Test max PUs and Dips every few weeks (at least 4). Search the boards...there is lots of stuff about gtg. Careful you don't burn out doing WoDs while gtg. If you have a heavy pull-up day, maybe back off the gtg...or take it easy on the pulls of the WoD. Make you rest at least once a week, which means no pull-ups!
Good luck. Work on kipping PUs while you're at it.
Once you can do a dozen or so PUs and dips you could try a MU.
Old 05-16-2008, 04:30 AM   #6
Tres O Johnson

Profile:

Thanks for the advice Alex. I'll implement all of your suggestions. I have a pull-up bar sitting in the basement that I have yet to mount.

Anyway, yesterday I opted for the 120 pull-ups (using an assisted pull-up station, -70#) and 120 dips (unassisted). The bar dips are never really a problem I know I can bust out at least 21 strict, unbroken reps. It's the pull-ups that will need some work. No doubt my current weight is a factor (220#, down from 237# since starting CrossFit a month ago). There was a time when I was 170# doing 8-10 pull-ups with 50# strapped to my waist, but that was three years and many meals ago!

I'll get there once more. I KNOW I will.
Old 05-16-2008, 05:05 AM   #7
Alex Rosch

Profile:

If you're getting 20+ bar-dips, get in some ring dips too. Watch the MU videos on the main page...helped me, anyway (only have a few).
Old 05-16-2008, 05:15 AM   #8
Camille Lore

Profile:  

You may want to check out www.brandxmartialarts.com (wfs) go under the forum, then CrossFit Workout of the Day. http://forum.brandxmartialarts.com/viewforum.php?f=16
For every workout, there is a scaling. May be helpful, esp. when you don't have the skill (or equipment) for the day.
Here's a link for progressions on the muscle up: http://media.crossfit.com/cf-video/M...ups-connor.wmv (WFS)
Old 05-16-2008, 09:55 AM   #9
Steven Low

Profile:

Trash the 120 dips and pullups.

Go for about +20% bodyweight on dips and pullups instead.