CrossFit Discussion Board  

Go Back   CrossFit Discussion Board > CrossFit Forum > Starting
CrossFit Home Forum Site Rules CrossFit FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Starting For newcomers to the CrossFit methodology

Old 03-18-2008, 08:10 AM   #1
Michael Drew

Profile:
New to CF in Connecticut

I am new to this whole cross fit thing, I have been reading the FAQ (which is great btw) and the rest of the site for the past week and a half. I like the idea of addressing these 10 areas of fitness. I am in the process of getting some equipment to work with so I can try out some of these workouts.

I ordered the book Mastering the Zone to see what its all about.

Any advice you can get is much appreciated.
Drew
Old 03-18-2008, 08:40 AM   #2
Lisbeth Darsh

Profile:
Re: New to CF in Connecticut

Hi Michael,

Welcome to CF nation! You're not in my neck of the CT woods but you're welcome to take a stroll around our blog http://www.crossfitwatertown.com and gather more information there -- or even to come down and get some instruction from us. Tom Taylor (at CF Central CT) is closer to your town and he's a great guy -- I think you can even join his Sat workouts for free -- you might want to check out his website.

This site and the videos offer a wealth of information. Explore it all and enjoy!
Old 03-18-2008, 09:45 AM   #3
Michael Drew

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lisbeth Darsh View Post
Hi Michael,

Welcome to CF nation! You're not in my neck of the CT woods but you're welcome to take a stroll around our blog http://www.crossfitwatertown.com and gather more information there -- or even to come down and get some instruction from us. Tom Taylor (at CF Central CT) is closer to your town and he's a great guy -- I think you can even join his Sat workouts for free -- you might want to check out his website.

This site and the videos offer a wealth of information. Explore it all and enjoy!
Great, Thanks for your reply. Tom Taylor's place is pretty close to me. I saw the thread about google maps this morning and saw his site. I need to get more accustomed to you're lifts before I embarrass myself showing up in person.
Old 03-18-2008, 10:41 AM   #4
Tom Taylor

Profile:

Lis,

Thanks for the mention.

Drew,

Got your email the same time as I saw this so I will respond to both.

The best place to start would be with our free initial consultation, you can contact me to schedule a time. From there we can assess your current level of fitness and get a chance to meet in person. The Saturday workout is getting full and is basically open by invitation right now. During the week we run CrossFit classes mornings and evenings. Saturday is a team effort either a head to head challenge or a group effort to reach a goal.

The classes have people of all abilities, exercises and workouts are scaled based on each person's level of fitness and experience. You won't be expected to come in and run with the pack or execute moves you are unfamiliar with. You will be instructed, tested and then moved along based on how you perform.

The only real way to embarrass yourself would be to show up with a stability ball and a ThighMaster while wearing leg warmers and a singlet. No offense to anyone who happens to fit that description.

Get in touch and we can set up a time to get you started with us.

Take care,

Tom
Old 03-18-2008, 11:03 AM   #5
Lisbeth Darsh

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tom Taylor View Post
The only real way to embarrass yourself would be to show up with a stability ball and a ThighMaster while wearing leg warmers and a singlet. No offense to anyone who happens to fit that description.
None taken. (But did you need to let all of CF Nation know how I dress? I mean, I really liked the 80's.)
Old 03-18-2008, 06:00 PM   #6
David Wood

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lisbeth Darsh View Post
None taken. (But did you need to let all of CF Nation know how I dress? I mean, I really liked the 80's.)

Ah yes . . . the 80's. We were young, then.
Old 03-19-2008, 05:07 AM   #7
Lisbeth Darsh

Profile:

Do you want to borrow the ThighMaster? Or maybe just the leg warmers and a really skinny tie? And I have a killer Cyndi Lauper tape.

(Note: farce was used in this post by a trained professional. Don't attempt this at home, even with video coaching. You could really get hurt and suffer serious ThighMaster injury, curable only by bad haircuts and lots of music by The Cars. You've been warned.)
Old 05-06-2008, 05:59 AM   #8
Michael Drew

Profile:

Hello again. I recieved all of my equipment yesterday. I started doing a fairly strict Zone (getting a scale this week). I have been out of the gym for quite a while so I have very little strength. I am going to start out doing more of a SS type routine for a couple months to get my strength back up.
I am 6' 206lbs with 22% bf.
Goals:

1000 lb CFT
100 kg C & J (this shouldn't be too far away)
Weight 190 with low BF.
I will post before and after pictures once I am convinced I am not fat anymore.