CrossFit Discussion Board  

Go Back   CrossFit Discussion Board > CrossFit Forum > Equipment
CrossFit Home Forum Site Rules CrossFit FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Equipment Outfitting a serious gym. Vendors & suppliers. Devices & equipment

Old 02-04-2008, 05:41 PM   #1
Jay Nel

Profile:
Wood plyo boxes, any covering for bottom edges?

I've built 2 plyo boxes from the designs posted on the forum. They came out great. One question though, does anyone put any type of rubber or any other material on the botton edges of the boxes so they don't breakdown? I plan on using them on grass, pavement etc. and was wondering if I should protect the edges that touch the ground. I have not applied any poly coats to the boxes if it matters.
Old 02-04-2008, 10:12 PM   #2
Chris Drewry

Profile:
Re: Wood plyo boxes, any covering for bottom edges?

Great Question.

Since you will be moving it around a lot, possibly a rubber moulding of some sort would help. Keep moisture from softening the wood and it chipping off slowly over time.
Old 02-05-2008, 08:32 AM   #3
Jay Nel

Profile:

I went to Home Depot and looked for a thin piece of 3/4" wide rubber to fit the bottom edges of the boxes but they didn't have anything. If you have any ideas or find something that would fit pleae post it.
Old 02-05-2008, 08:36 AM   #4
Tom Fetter

Profile:

Could be something useful in the various profiles of rubber used for weatherstripping. There is also self-adhesive rubber they make for lining the valleys in roofing, underneath shingles. I'd expect you could cut strips of that, though they might need to be tacked in place to stay put.
Old 02-05-2008, 09:31 AM   #5
Allan Luomala

Profile:

I used little screw in "feet" (like on the bottom of some types of furniture). These keep the boxes off the ground, enough so that if you store them in the garage and it's wet (like mine gets), it keeps the wood out of contact with the water.

If I get a chance, I will post a photo, or find a photo on the 'net and post it. Also might be a thought to use adjustable feet (move up or down) to make allowances for uneven ground. I just had a thought: depending on what type of ground you use them on (I use them indoors, or on a concrete sidewalk), you may want to go with the rubber stripping (on gravel or grass) or a combination of rubber and the "feet" to suit whatever surface you are using at the time.

AL
Old 02-05-2008, 09:57 AM   #6
Paul Findley

Profile:

One place to look in home depot is the area where they have their various joist hangers etc. Lots of various bits of sheet metal that can be wrapped aound plywood and screwed on. If you can find something for each corner that should be enough to keep it from grinding away on the street etc.
Old 02-05-2008, 01:38 PM   #7
Chris Jordan

Profile:

They will break down quickly only if they are constantly wet. Sand the bottom edge with 60, 100 then 200 grit sandpaper on a sanding block (cover a block of wood so you are sanding with a flat surface) then you could seal it with epoxy, poly, duct tape or whatever.

But....why? If they are ragged in 2 years cut an inch off the bottom. Then make a shoe for it to get your inch back. Or just make new boxes.

I made two out of 3/4" plywood more than 2 years ago. They have been everywhere and used heavily in all kinds of weather and still look new. No sanding, no finish.

I don't think I would use metal on the bottom edge. What a screech that would make as it scrapes concrete!

Last edited by Chris Jordan : 02-05-2008 at 01:39 PM. Reason: addition
Old 02-05-2008, 03:13 PM   #8
Hugh Gilmore

Profile:

You could try cutting rubber bicycle inner tube into strips then stick it on with windscreen sealant,

you need to get windscreen sealer from a mechanics shop but i use it all the time for fixing hurling sticks and ive never had a stick break in the same place after getting glued. strong stuff..