CrossFit Discussion Board  

Go Back   CrossFit Discussion Board > CrossFit Forum > Workout of the Day
CrossFit Home Forum Site Rules CrossFit FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Workout of the Day Questions & performance regarding CrossFit's WOD

Old 12-17-2007, 09:16 PM   #1
Josh Yates

Profile:
To workout or not... ?

I've only been doing crossfit for a couple of weeks and had a question that will probably keep bothering me if I don't ask it. I've of course been sore in one area or another since I started but after that 400 meter walking lunge yesterday my quads and glutes are destroyed. I can barely even bend my legs when I walk. Anyway so I was just wondering if it would hurt to do those thrusters in fran tommorrow. I guess I'm coming from the usual standard "gymer" background where you wait for one muscle group to completely recover before working it out again. I'm sure I could get through the workout if I scaled it but I just didn't want to do more harm than good. Thanks in advance for the enlightening answers.
Old 12-17-2007, 10:50 PM   #2
Justin Andrew Joiner

Profile:
Re: To workout or not... ?

Personally, i would scale it down to 45 pnd thrusters if i was that sore. remember you have 2 more days before the next rest day. ive paid the piper for trying to Ranger through when i shouldn't have. that being said, is it better to miss tomorrow and do the next 2 days? or do fran and miss 2 in a row? ill go with the first choice.

or do 45 lb thrusters and weighted pullups...

i mean whats the worst that could happen? barbara?

Old 12-17-2007, 11:25 PM   #3
Steven Low

Profile:

If you're pretty new to relatively high intensity work you should've been scaling from the start. Excessive soreness is not good to have because it hinders workout and subsequent performance. What you probably should've done and still can do is scale now so that you can start doing the workouts without too much soreness and then subsequently increase the intensity each week. Yes, it does take a blow to the ego but being constantly sore where you can't do workouts in a row isn't going to help you much either.

The 3/1 CF schedule is based around an optimal diet, sleep schedule and having a high work capacity thus getting barely sore if any soreness at all. High frequency on muscle groups is the key to getting very quick muscle adaption and strength gains as you can see with how olympians train but you need to have that work capacity to train that way first. This is why you should work into CF slowly and most of us have had to because we didn't come from a background that has metabolic conditioning as a main component of our conditioning.
Old 12-18-2007, 03:23 AM   #4
Alex Rosch

Profile:

I find if I have DOMS (Delayed Onset Muscle Soreness) and I actually go about doing something, it seems to help...
but, if you're not doing sub 10min Frans to begin with, scale way back...I have a 6min something Fran PR and I'd still scale it back given some huge DOMS...better than missing a WO...or, if you don't want to scale, do something else (30 MU for time) that pampers the effected area, and hit Fran the next day. I always like to keep Fran 'pure' so that I have a clear measure of my progress in the met-con area.
I'm still at 071211, so I have yet to experience the pain you are in...and I look forward to feeling those muscles that you didn't know existed
Old 12-18-2007, 05:07 AM   #5
Steve Liberati

Profile:

I'm having a hard time walking today too. In addition to lots of glutamine (to aid in recovery), I'm scaling "Fran" today. Also plan to run a few times around the block afterwards just to relieve some of the tightness. A deep tissue massage would be nice right aboout now
Old 12-18-2007, 06:37 AM   #6
Michael Thornton

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Josh Yates View Post
(snip) my quads and glutes are destroyed. I can barely even bend my legs when I walk. (snip)
As everybody has already suggested, you need to scale Fran. I would suggest scaling drastically. If you are so sore you "can barely even bend", then you need to step back a bit. Otherwise you are going to either hurt yourself or get burnt out. Doing a light workout to get the sore muscles moving and some blood flow always helps me recover. In an extreme case such as what you describe, I would do Fran, but drop the weight and just do plain air squats. I would also do them slow and focus on form, not speed. Pull-ups you can do as normal.

Remember, pushing yourself to injury or incapacitation wins you no medals. All it will do it knock you out of doing future workouts. The good thing is that in a few weeks you will be better equipped to know how to push your self to the absolute limit without crossing the barrier into damaging yourself.

Also, when very sore, I find drinking lots of water helps.
Old 12-18-2007, 08:35 AM   #7
Josh Yates

Profile:

Thanks for the advice. I think I'll probably try and do fran with the weight scaled wayy back as suggested. I have been scaling most workouts to some degree already. I guess I went a bit too all out with the walking lunges the other day. A buddy and I usually work out together and tend to push each other, probably a bit too hard sometimes. What would be the best way to scale a workout like the 400 m lunges? I guess just doing a shorter distance? Haha, it sounded easy enough at the time... And the scaling down issue raises another question to me, which may be better posted in another thread but since I'm already typing. What exactly should you be aiming for when scaling? Of course most anyone could eventually get through most any WOD though it may take them hours in some cases, but that of course isn't the point. If I were to attempt fran as rx'ed it would probably take me 15 min. to get through. I guess what I'm trying to ask is how do you know what to aim for as far as time or rounds in a given workout to get the most benefit from it and how to scale appropriately to reach those goals. I know I should probably read around the boards to find these answers and I will. I just got carried away. Thanks for any thoughts on this.
Old 12-18-2007, 08:41 AM   #8
Lenora Galitz-Pfeffer

Profile:

As a one month newbie, I have DOMS, and take a day off between even my scaled workouts. I take homeopathic arnica 30X sublingually to help recover from the workout. OK. I should have posted that one the recovery thread.
Old 12-18-2007, 09:54 AM   #9
Mitch Hamm

Profile:

I am right with you on this one. I have been CF'ing for over 5 months and had done the 400m lunges before, but this is the worst sore I've ever been. I can't walk down steps, can barely rise from a seated position and every now and then one quad will just give way and nearly dump me when I'm limping along.

My Fran time is normally in the low 7 min range, but I think I might give her a miss today and try the rower instead. The perils of old age...

Mitch
Old 12-18-2007, 10:40 AM   #10
Gant Grimes

Profile:

If you've been doing this for 2 weeks and you did 400m lunges yesterday, I don't think you should even consider Fran, scaled or otherwise. Get an easy 2K row, stretch for 15-20 minutes, and see if you can get through a CF warm-up. If you can't do a warm-up, pull a weighted sled.