CrossFit Discussion Board  

Go Back   CrossFit Discussion Board > CrossFit Forum > Fitness
CrossFit Home Forum Site Rules CrossFit FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Fitness Theory and Practice. CrossFit's rationale & foundations. Who is fit? What is fitness?

Old 09-16-2004, 05:23 PM   #1
Barry Cooper

Profile:
I get in these weird states sometimes during the WOD where my heartrate is 180+ but my mind is as clear as a bell. In any event, today, after about rep 14 or so of the deadlifts, it occurred to me that if I were a 700 pound deadlifter, the deadlifts would be easier. Duh.

However, I like to reverse patterns, so I wondered: if I do this workout enough to get good at it, shouldn't that likewise move me towards doing it like a 700 pound deadlifter?

Specifically, a single at that weight is taxing on the musculoskeletal structure, obviously, but also on the "system": the will, the lungs and heart, blood vessels etc. So the difference is one of degree between a single at 700 and 45 reps with 225 mixed with 45 HSPU.

Each approach hits the "System" from a number of different angles, but what we're doing is maximizing the "system" part of it, and deemphasizing the strictly musculoskeletal part of it, without neglecting it (as my back is informing me).

I haven't completely figured out what I'm saying, but the analogy I'm thinking of is between Dynamic and Maximal strength training. There's are relationship between a max weight lifted relatively slowly, and a submaximal weight lifted quickly , which creates a roughly equivalent amount of work in a different way.

Maybe what I'm thinking is there is an equivalent relationship between musculoskeletal work and neuroendocrine work. Both are related and cannot be separated, but maybe could be seen as poles on a continuum, which benefit each other.

We often talk about how the goal of CrossFit is maximal neuro-endocrine response, but we do workouts where it's just a maximal weight lifted for singles.

So perhaps it could be argued that while we embrace "traditional" training, where we differ is in explicitly including AS WELL exercises designed largely to create systemic hormonal and neurological changes, in an analogous way to how Louie Simmons made his name by not JUST doing max singles.

Does that make sense to anybody?
Old 09-16-2004, 06:15 PM   #2
Josh Wade

Profile:  
I was going to make this a seperate post but it is kinda of, in a weird sort of way, what your trying to say (I think) but from the opposit end of the spectrum.

I just finished running a 5k. I didn't time it because when I went outside I was just going to walk so my legs would recover quicker from yesterdays Max Effort squat day fun. But since I was out there said what the heck and ran.

And the oddest thing happened. I had no problem finishing it (which I've never done without walking after mile 2) and it was actually really easy.

THe reason why this is odd is because I haven't ran for 2-3 months and when I did it was pathetic.
For the last 2 1/2 months I've taken a break from the WOD and have trained strictly Westside style. All recovery workouts were pretty much light weights no sled.

I am not surprised that the WOD's carryover to running is tremendous, but I am surprised that heavy lifting coupled with speed work at 50-60% max weights improved my running that much. My running never improved that much when I was just running.

Starting at the end of this 3 week cycle I am going to slowly introduce the WOD as my extra workouts. It will take a while to adapt at that workload and I won't rush it. I am really curious to see how much they complement each other.
I don't think there are to many competing powerlifters incorporating Crossfit.

I'll keep everyone posted once I start.

I hope that made sense.:happy:

Old 09-17-2004, 06:55 AM   #3
Robert Wolf

Profile:
Keep us posted Josh, this will be interesting indeed.
Robb
Old 09-17-2004, 07:31 AM   #4
Mike Yukish

Profile:
Josh wrote:
I am surprised that heavy lifting coupled with speed work at 50-60% max weights improved my running that much. My running never improved that much when I was just running.

Check my post in the Testimonials section. You echo my experience exactly.

http://www.crossfit.com/discus/messages/29/5382.html
Old 09-17-2004, 08:51 AM   #5
Josh Wade

Profile:  
Will do Robb.

MIke,

I think you hit the nail on the head with the leg strength. Living in WV, of the 5k only 800m at best were even close to flat. Before when I ran the hills it would just kill my legs causing me to lose my rythem. The heavy squating and DL'ing helped my strength while the speed work helped with acceleration thereby making the hills a lot easier. I was able to keep the same pace regardless of the incline.