CrossFit Discussion Board  

Go Back   CrossFit Discussion Board > CrossFit Forum > Nutrition
CrossFit Home Forum Site Rules CrossFit FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Nutrition Diet, supplements, weightloss, health & longevity

Old 10-30-2007, 09:38 PM   #1
Kevin Kaeating

Profile:
help with zone fat tricks

i am needing alot of fat 5x to be exact and am curious of anybody using cooking tricks to help achieve this, ex. crushed almonds mixed with olive oil? etc. i just cant eat 75 almonds per sitting in the whole form. olive oil is quite expensive...any other ideas?canola oil is in my zone book under good fats but people tell me its bad so...suggestions?
Old 10-31-2007, 04:44 AM   #2
Darren Zega

Profile:  
Re: help with zone fat tricks

Kevin,

As far as olive oil goes - aside from virgin or extra virgin - it's all the same thing. 100% extra virgin oil tastes the same as every other extra virgin oil. You can usually buy a big metal can of it in a Sam's or Walmart dirt cheap and then just keep a smaller bottle of it with a pour spout out on the counter.

That said, just using tons of olive oil is a great way to add fat, but there's also other tricks too. Pan fry or stir fry your meats with lots of oil. Start soups with a mixture of olive oil, onions, and garlic simmering in the bottom of the pot before your add your stock. Also, if you use grill pans or eclectic grills, save the drippings and combine them with greens like chard, spinach, or collards for a tasty side dish. Also, high fat proteins like eggs, some cheeses, and certain cuts of beef can get you there as well.

If you're still at a loss, just take a teaspoonful of straight olive oil or eat some avocado with every meal and that can compensate. I like to make a big batch of a lot of high fat foods (baba ghannouj with tons of tahini and guacamole to name a couple) once a week and then just dip into them as time goes by to add fat.

Lastly, with snacks, always make your snacks fat blocks. It's a non-glycemic way to add fat and calories without having to worry about balancing protein and carbs.
Old 10-31-2007, 06:07 AM   #3
Brandon Oto

Profile:

Olive oil, nuts (macademias, cashews, Brazil nuts, almonds, etc.), nut butters (almond, macademia, peanut butter).

Fat's easy.
Old 10-31-2007, 06:29 AM   #4
George Mounce

Profile:

While I do cook with olive oil, I limit it to that for the sole reason other then a shot of omega-9s and calories (maybe some phytonutrients) there isn't much to it. Nuts on the other hand have fat, a little protein, fiber and a ton of minerals and vitamins. Almonds for instance are very high in Vitamin E, a great antioxidant. The problem with nuts usually is price, as I am lucky to live in the nut capital of the US so I don't have any issues. Try to find a place the sells in bulk, you can often get nuts for over $1 less per pound.

Eggs as Darren mentioned are one of the easiest and most bioavailable sources of protein and fat. Each egg is 1 to 1.5 fat blocks, and I go with the Omega-3 eggs. Cooks some eggs in olive oil and you have a fat bomb!

Another idea is flaxseed (most people know I'm a huge supporter of using flax). TONS of fat. TONS of fiber. Believe me you will want fiber in your diet because if you don't have any and its all oil, guess what is going to be coming out the other end....an oil spill.
Old 10-31-2007, 06:49 AM   #5
Matt DeMinico

Profile:

yeah eggs are great. Hard boil some and eat them with a salad, etc. Eat 'em for a quick breakfast, etc...

Oh, and get Christopher Eggs. They're about the best thing besides eggs from grassfed hens (it's like 95% of the way to grassfed based on the diet they feed them), and they only cost like $2.29 a dozen (instead of like $5 a dozen for purely grassfed).
Old 10-31-2007, 05:58 PM   #6
Ben Moskowitz

Profile:

I can't wait to get ripped... so I can go on a fat multiplier...

p.s. I cooked the strawberry version of your pancakes this morning George, and wow, quite good. I added a decent amount of water b/c I used 2 eggs, but very tasty. I guess maple syrup is out of the question, but is there a way to "dress" without killing the blocks?
Old 10-31-2007, 07:59 PM   #7
George Mounce

Profile:

Find the sugar-free sucralose syrup - if Splenda is ok with you (I prefer Vermont Sugar Free because they add vitamins). I don't avoid Splenda but I don't use it every day.

I use 2 whole eggs now instead of 1 egg and 4 egg whites, and I don't need to add any water, I just mix it well!
Old 11-01-2007, 08:08 AM   #8
Ben Moskowitz

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by George Mounce View Post
I use 2 whole eggs now instead of 1 egg and 4 egg whites, and I don't need to add any water, I just mix it well!
That's a good recommendation, along with not using 3x the amount of buckwheat flour in the recipe . The pancakes came out much better today.
Old 11-01-2007, 08:22 AM   #9
Brandon Oto

Profile:

George, what's your block measurement for flax?
Old 11-01-2007, 01:59 PM   #10
Joseph Lemos

Profile:

I love eggs, and, partly because they are so cheap, I was eating a lot of them for protein and fat. I cut them out after I read the Zone books because Sears specifically cites them as bad fat (the yolks). I don't remember the mechanism, but I believe Sears took the position that, through a somewhat complex chain of events, eggs would encourage fat storage. I'm curious, especially since my copy of the book was published some time ago, if that is still the accepted wisdom. I wouldn't worry about if I was eating a couple a week, but when I used them for blocks, I was eating around 4 a day.

I'm also curious what's bad about Canola oil. I currently use that as one of my primary fat sources.