CrossFit Discussion Board  

Go Back   CrossFit Discussion Board > CrossFit Forum > Nutrition
CrossFit Home Forum Site Rules CrossFit FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Nutrition Diet, supplements, weightloss, health & longevity

Old 10-31-2007, 08:14 AM   #1
Joe Bernard

Profile:
Paleo convert

I just started the paleo way of life and i have to tell you i feel great. Even though i have to eat one sandwhich mon-fri because its the only food avaliable thats quick to get in between classes, i am as close as il get at college. I have broken through the plateau i was at, regarding my BF% (ive been just under 10 but wanted lower) as well as an increased energy level. I never knew that by just eliminating bread and including fruit to make up for the carbs that i would feel so good. I will have been eating without junk food for year come thanksgiving, but going paleo was the best choice by far. Has anyone else had impressive gains after switching to paleo?
Old 10-31-2007, 08:33 AM   #2
Steve Liberati

Profile:
Re: Paleo convert

Good to hear its working well for you Joe. You can always try turning it up a notch or two by skipping lunch and other meals here and there and going extended periods of time without food (intermittent fast of 15-20 hours). If you haven't already tried IF, I say give it a shot once or twice a week at first and see how you feel. From an evolutionary standpoint, IF makes perfect sense and fits nicely with the health and fitness model practiced by our ancestors.
Old 10-31-2007, 02:07 PM   #3
Timothy Ratte

Profile:

I was always a "clean" eater, avoiding processed foods, sugar and "bad" carbs. But two weeks ago, I embraced strict paleo eating. I cut out grains entirely, dairy (good bye, beloved cheese ).

I feel great! Maybe it's just placebo effect - or 'paleo-cebo,' in this case (sorry, I have no will power against committing bad puns). But either way, I feel great, and seem to have a more consistent energy level throughout the day.

Still, I have been in the process of trying to lose some excess body fat, and even with my regular CrossFit WODs and two weeks of paleo eating, I had not lost any fat. My weight remained constant for two weeks.

Then, on Monday, I started my first fasting day on a program of 24 hours on/24 hours off intermittent fasting. I felt even better. TONS of energy, and I'm pretty sure my workout did not suffer. Also, I have shed 4.5 lbs of fat.

I'm not sure I can attribute this sudden drop in fat to the fasting, but it's the only variable I've changed in my habits in two weeks.

Anyway, my point is, Steve's suggestion is a good one - I would give yourself a couple weeks on the paleo eating program, then once your body has settled into it, mess around with intermittent fasting.
Old 11-01-2007, 03:16 AM   #4
Derek Weaver

Profile:

Could you guys put out a little more information on intermittent fasting? I have read a fair amount of information on it and still don't know how I feel. I have heard that 30 minutes after a workout you should eat something (usually a liquid meal per the Zone guidelines as well as Paleo for Athletes if I remember right). How does that work with IF?

What about other issues associated with drops in blood sugar (ie, headaches, nausea-for me at least- etc.) Are these non existent or does IF take some tinkering and timing to work out?
Old 11-01-2007, 05:43 AM   #5
Jay Cohen

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Derek Weaver View Post
Could you guys put out a little more information on intermittent fasting? I have read a fair amount of information on it and still don't know how I feel. I have heard that 30 minutes after a workout you should eat something (usually a liquid meal per the Zone guidelines as well as Paleo for Athletes if I remember right). How does that work with IF?

What about other issues associated with drops in blood sugar (ie, headaches, nausea-for me at least- etc.) Are these non existent or does IF take some tinkering and timing to work out?
Derek;
Drop over to the Performance Menu boards, there is constant thread going, check out Rob Wolf's blog, Art DeVaney, many other solid sources along with Google. Try using search function on the CF boards.
Old 11-01-2007, 06:08 AM   #6
George Mounce

Profile:

Timothy, sad to say I had just the opposite feeling from IF consistent with Derek. I got excruciating headaches and had to stop. They would even last during my feeding time after the first fast.

I think I'd rather eat less (using Zone blocks), then not eat.
Old 11-01-2007, 06:10 AM   #7
Joe Bernard

Profile:

Good job Tim! keep it up! il look into IF after ive been on paleo for a bit. It sounds like a good thing to try.
Old 11-02-2007, 02:21 AM   #8
Timothy Ratte

Profile:

George - I ALWAYS get a headache after I work out. It usually only lasts ten to fifteen minutes after a workout, but it always happens. Were you experiencing your headaches right after your workouts, or did they occur at anytime during your fasting days?

Joe - I absolutely DREADED working out in a fasted state, but I set two new PRs in Wednesday's workout while 16 hours into a fast. I felt great. I may have hit this IF thing in a way that's right for ME, but I suspect that for some, there is some tinkering involved.

I also think I'm pretty good at listening to my body. Obviously, everybody is different, and there are many ways to structure intermittent fasts - if I had had George's experience, I would have looked into a different fast schedule, or stopped entirely, as apparently George did.

There is a ton of information out there on IF - I looked at all the sources Jay mentions in this thread before deciding on trying IF out. Just make sure you listen to your body to tailor something that works for you.

And please, keep us posted - You and I are only a couple weeks apart in this experiment. I would be interesting in seeing how our experiences compare.