CrossFit Discussion Board  

Go Back   CrossFit Discussion Board > CrossFit Forum > Exercises
CrossFit Home Forum Site Rules CrossFit FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Exercises Movements, technique & proper execution

Old 08-29-2007, 10:54 PM   #1
Oleg Zhoglo

Profile:
tried overhead squatting today for the 1st time- advice?

I've always considered myself to be in pretty good shape- have a six pack (on the abs, not the fridge) can lift a decent amount and run/swim pretty well. Did my first WOD yesterday- the lunges, killed me in about 50m- took me 30minutes to complete. Today I try to do the overhead squatting warmup and i couldnt do even one! I can do the motion fine without any weight (just having my arms in the air) and with a broom, but as soon as I move to just the bar (standard 45lbs) I can't even do one. I keep losing my balance when I reach the part where you have to bend your legs and tilt forward. Any advice? Could it be just the extremely sore legs from yesterday's lunges? Thanks!
Old 08-30-2007, 01:00 AM   #2
Derek Maffett

Profile:
Re: tried overhead squatting today for the 1st time- advice?

If you are using no weight or a stick, you might not have the weight quite overhead correctly and not even realize it. If there is a flaw in your form, it is probably going to only punish you noticeably when you use the heavier bar.
Old 08-30-2007, 04:42 AM   #3
Ben Kaminski

Profile:

If you've never done an OHS before, it will take time and practice to develop the motor control and flexibility required.

Keep practicing with a broomstick, and use a mirror or a friend to correct your form. Definitely read the CFJ issues on the overhead squat as well, they have a lot of tips.
Old 08-30-2007, 09:27 AM   #4
John Seiler

Profile:

Make sure you're controlling your descent. You can't just plop down into a weighted OHS like you can with a dowel. This phenomenon becomes more pronounced as the weight gets heavier.
Old 08-31-2007, 05:09 PM   #5
Scott Allen Hanson

Profile:

As you lower into the bottom of an overhead squat (OHS), the dowel/bar needs to travel back to stay in the frontal plane (an imaginary line that divides your body front to back). If the weight does not stay in this plane, you will find that you are unbalanced to the front and tend to come up onto the balls of your feet.

1. Continue practicing with the dowel. Stop in the bottom of the squat, and slowly let the dowel travel forward to in front of you. Then reverse and draw the dowel back to behind your back. If this is difficult or impossible, widen your grip. Gradually narrow your grip to snatch width as your shoulder flexibility improves.

2. After this gets comfortable, try it at various intermediate positions between top and bottom.

3. Once this feels solid, add a light weight, such as a 2.5 or 5 lb plate placed over the dowel. Don't immediately jump to a 45# bar.

4. Continue to practice with the weighted dowel and gradually add weight in 2.5 to 5 lb increments until you feel ready for the bar. Make sure that your weight is centered over your feet to slightly favoring your heels. Make sure that you're maintaining back extension (lumbar arch in your back), especially at the bottom.
Old 08-31-2007, 05:30 PM   #6
Jay Cohen

Profile:

So much for the 6 pack.

Suggest you read the posts, check out the Vids, do the WOD everyday.

Enjoy the journey, BTW, your friends will shun you, get use to it.

Jay
Old 08-31-2007, 09:39 PM   #7
Zach Wright

Profile:

I had the same problem at first. I went to see the local Crossfit trainer (thanks Ben!) and he set me straight. My biggest problems were that I was not shrugging my shoulders all the way up. Its really hard to keep the bar directly overhead if your shoulders arent extended all the way up. It also helps to pull the bar apart. Literally try to pull it apart. And take it slow. Hope this helps!
Old 08-31-2007, 10:45 PM   #8
Boris Bachmann

Profile:

JV & Overhead SQs

Last edited by Lynne Pitts : 09-01-2007 at 03:50 AM. Reason: Removed unqualified link
Old 09-01-2007, 06:40 AM   #9
Craig Van De Walker

Profile:

Well you increased your load from about 1 lb to 45lbs, that was part of it. OHS will magnify any shortfall in form you have.

If you are like me and everyone else I have personally seen do the move for the first time you think the bar is overhead when you go down but when viewed from the side the weight is in front of your body. I talked to a really big strong guy (lean 6ft ~240) at a 24hr fitness and he told me he strained a trap trying to muscle through his first OHS workout with the empty bar.

Easy to manage with a stick but try to hold 45lbs out in front of you in that position and it seems like a lot more.

Important attributes:
good basic squat form
shoulder flexibility
active shoulder "in the ears" stretch the bar
hamstring flex
"core" strength and control - overhead pressing and farm work kind not the crunches and swiss ball kind
Old 09-01-2007, 06:44 AM   #10
Boris Bachmann

Profile:

I guess "unqualified link" means unexplained?...

This video has some instruction about OHSQ from about 2:10 in...
http://youtube.com/watch?v=60RPh2ueEds

I don't know that it has anything that hasn't been covered in other materials, but I thought I did an all right job with it.