CrossFit Discussion Board  

Go Back   CrossFit Discussion Board > Community > Community
CrossFit Home Forum Site Rules CrossFit FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Community Catch all category for CrossFit community discussion.

Old 05-22-2006, 05:18 PM   #1
Andrew G. Greenberg

Profile:
does anybody know anything about these guys?
Old 05-22-2006, 05:38 PM   #2
John Velandra

Profile:
Yes... one of my traiers went through the process and started to find out things were misrepresented. I personally would steer clear of it.
Old 05-22-2006, 06:40 PM   #3
Andrew G. Greenberg

Profile:
can you say how things were misrepresented?
i'm looking at working there, not getting certified. my certification dollars are reserved for crossfit.
Old 05-22-2006, 06:50 PM   #4
Garrett Smith

Profile:
Their test was the strangest thing I've ever taken.

In all seriousness, it was like this. Here's a word (orange). Here's four answers (lemon, lime, cucumber, raspberry). Pick the one answer that is related to the first word and doesn't relate to the others. If it doesn't relate, explain why not.

I took the test (for free, thank goodness) to become a "trainer" and "test supervisor" of people who wish to take their tests. I've got my medical degree, a bachelor's in physiology, 12 years in the personal training biz, and have had exercise certifications from four different exercise organizations. I was several points shy of passing. It was the most bewildering experience of my life.

I wrote them and said maybe they might want to rework their exam a bit. Never heard back. Maybe the questions were too hard for me due to an overly-extensive background and an ability to draw connections between things that were not expected (thus making answering really hard oftentimes).

They sure seem to be always looking for new "trainers of trainers". I wonder why...:crazy:
Old 05-22-2006, 09:09 PM   #5
Andrew G. Greenberg

Profile:
so its like a diploma mill that fails everyone...
they pass off incomprehensibility as rigor?
Old 05-25-2006, 08:29 AM   #6
Andrew G. Greenberg

Profile:
just though i would share with the crossfit community my interview with scirion..

the interviewer asked me for my favorite three exercises that work the triceps.

my answer: "well, my favorites for triceps would be overhead squat, snatch, and clean and jerk."

Q: "those are leg exercises."
A: "i would argue they are total body exercises, including the triceps. i don't isolate muscle group in training.

Q: you don't isolate muscle groups?
A: in my own training, no. however, some clients prefer segmented training, so i try to accomodate the client.

Q: thanks, i'll get back to you. (paraphrased).

hope i didn't talk myself out of a job!
Old 05-25-2006, 09:03 AM   #7
Garrett Smith

Profile:
Andrew,
You may have done just that--talked yourself out of a job.

I remember that question, and I "sold out" on my answer--I believe I said "lying DB tricep extensions, dips, and rope cable pushdowns". Yuck. I feel so dirty.

C'est la vie.
Old 05-25-2006, 09:14 AM   #8
Andrew G. Greenberg

Profile:
yeah, i definitely had that one microsecond of indecision where i wasn't sure which way to go...
i am very bad at telling people what they want to hear, *especially* when it comes to exercise....a little too frank for my own good.

oh, well. out of my hands now!
Old 05-26-2006, 07:48 AM   #9
Jason Erickson

Profile:
Better to not sell out. In training my clients, I don't use ANY methods that I don't believe in.

Sure, some clients/potential clients still think they need those other things, but that's my job as a trainer: to educate them. If they refuse to listen or learn, I turn them away. Life is too short and there are plenty of other people in need.

I was asked to teach a class on core training. Tempted, I asked if I was free to teach it my way. I was informed that I'd need to use a number of stability ball exercises for the bulk of the class, but I could "add a few of your own things at the end." I turned this offer down. Why waste 50 minutes on ball crunch variations when I can spend 15 minutes and nail their entire core in one exercise with a progression for those unable to perform it immediately?

I also don't do isolation exercises, boot camps, random circuit training, ad nauseum. Each session I run is crafted to meet the specific needs of the athlete at that moment, with a clear picture of what we are attempting to accomplish, and I give them "homework" to practice for the next session, which helps keep them on track and speeds their progress.

The other trainers I work with openly admit they don't understand what I do, but they can see that it works. Stick to your principles in the immediate face of adversity. Adjust them privately as experience and wisdom dictate.

Garrett - you are WAY overqualified... obviously your knowledge and experience would impede success.:crazy:
Old 05-26-2006, 10:15 AM   #10
Andrew G. Greenberg

Profile:
yes, i agree with you to a great extent, however there is something to be said for putting food on the table. i am a grad student working on my thesis, and i should have thought about how much i needed the money. too late now.