CrossFit Discussion Board  

Go Back   CrossFit Discussion Board > Community > Community
CrossFit Home Forum Site Rules CrossFit FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Community Catch all category for CrossFit community discussion.

Old 05-04-2005, 11:37 AM   #1
Kenneth Ritchie

Profile:

How many times have you heard the saying "well I cant do that because I am getting on a bit, so that rubber ring around my gut is ok"? It may seem a bit harsh to those who dont exercise and who do not have an interest in this field however to people like myself I have one answwer to those individuals. Many friends have argued with me over this however I do believe in sticking to my principles. I firmly believe that if a person is blessed with a normal healthy body with no genetic problems or medical then if they become fat later in life it is simply because they are LAZY. Like I said folks this might seem exteremly harsh but in my profession I have seen and heard that excuse too many times. Im not exactly a spring chicken myself now but I do still take care of myself and would not use the excuse Im older so I will just get fatter. For information on my routine you can visit my blog at http://fitken.blogspot.com/
Old 05-04-2005, 11:46 AM   #2
James R. Climer

Profile:
There's no denying to myself that it gets harder to stay in youthful form the older I get, but it's just to say I get out of shape faster and easier if I don't work at staying in shape as I age.

The older I get the more I'm convinced of the import that staying active has on the quality of life. Unfortunately it is a very powerful myth that tends to facilitate that laziness and allows people to rationalize their inactivity as a necessary part of aging.
Old 05-04-2005, 03:30 PM   #3
Roger Harrell

Profile:
The "age" factor has more to do with station in life issues that physical age. You get a full time job, have kids, yadda yadda it gets harder to find time to workout and have physical play. Then when your kids are old enough for them to help in your physical play you're now out of shape and lazy so it's harder to get started again. Bottom line, don't stop. If you do, get back into it asap. Actual cronological age does have an impact, but I've got many folks in their late 40s early 50s that will blast the stereotypes.
Old 05-04-2005, 04:24 PM   #4
James R. Climer

Profile:
We just suffer the stiff joints and travelling mystery pains that come and go on a daily basis in silence, so the whipper snapper's won't know.

Seriously, it is hard to get that daily hour to myself in the garage without feeling guilty that I'm stealing time from the kids.
Old 05-04-2005, 09:04 PM   #5
Pat Janes

Profile:

I've found that after what is about 9 months of CF now, I don't suffer from the "stiff-jointed" problem much any more; got it quite a lot prior to that.

My flexibility (lack of it) is the one remaining thing that continues to plague me, as I get older. I'm reasonably flexible in areas that I work specifically, eg squats, shoulders, hip flexors, but certainly no contortionist; and I have almost no flexibility in areas that aren't specifically trained, eg crappy straddle that is hindering my gymnastics.

I'm loving the fact that I'm more fit now than I ever have been; and I can't wait for 40, because I'll be even fitter. Although, by then, my kids will be 10, 13, 16 and 17, so I'll likely be old before my time.

I actually find that more of the young people I meet use age as an excuse not to look after themselves; they rely on their youthful metabolisms to keep their fat levels down. Unfortunately that doesn't work forever.
Old 05-04-2005, 09:05 PM   #6
Eugene R. Allen

Profile:
I arrange my life around my training. I just returned from a vacation south to California to visit my sister...and to do a half-Ironman tri at Wildflower. That's what I do on vacations. I swim 3x weekly with some SWAT buds, and do CrossFit with them another 3x a week. I train 3 women in my neighborhood from 2, 3 or 4x a week and work out with them occasionally as well. To all of that add another 2 or 3 runs and a like number of bike rides and you have a typical training week. You have likely seen my Gym Dandy post and how much time, effort and money I put into my home gym, other's put it into wide screen TVs and Barca Loungers.

I'm 49, and don't have the slightest shred of patience for the fat and lazy among us who use their age as an excuse. The lack of time excuse works only for those who work 60+ hours weekly, watch absolutely no television, work constantly around the house, are single parents and are going to school full time. Other than that I don't buy it. It's amazing how many people who don't have time to exercise know all about American Idol, have all the sports scores down pat, know how much Oprah is weighing, what Dr. Phil is talking about and where all the good restaurants are.

If a thing is important to you, time can be found to do it. Those that say they don't have time to exercise, don't make exercise a priority. They are the infomercial crowd who find value in Thigh Blasters and Tony Little. CrossFit is an oddity to them, something to deride as a fringe activity. They will all have hip replacements, die of heart attacks, and be representatives of the "I've fallen and can't get up crowd." Bugs on the windshield of life.

Gotta go, I'm late for my sensitivity encounter group.
Old 05-05-2005, 12:42 AM   #7
Veronica Carpenter

Profile:
We just suffer the stiff joints and travelling mystery pains that come and go on a daily basis in silence, so the whipper snapper's won't know.

Exactly!

Seriously, it is hard to get that daily hour to myself in the garage without feeling guilty that I'm stealing time from the kids.

I gladly steal a few hours for myself to preserve my sanity!:crazy: But I do try to do it when the kids are otherwise occupied. :happy:
Old 05-05-2005, 04:43 AM   #8
bill fox

Profile:

Eugene right on.

I can't tell you how many fatasses at work tell me how they can't work out then ask me, IN THE SAME SENTENCE,

Q "Did you see that game last night"
A "No you lazy pathetic lard *** I was woking out while you were watching other grown men play sports."

There's no way that working out 45 minutes a day 6 days a week to stay young "steals time" from anyone, wife, kids etc...you're giving them time.

Bill
Old 05-05-2005, 05:07 AM   #9
Larry Lindenman

Profile:
42 here and not slowing down. Recovery is a little diffrent than it was 10 years ago. Also a lot more responsibility, but fitness just enhances your abilities. I think the kids would rather have a fit, alive dad than an overweight dead one!
Old 05-05-2005, 05:55 AM   #10
Mike Ryan

Profile:
At 39, I exercise as much to keep up with my kids as I do for my own personal satisfaction. It will probobly happen eventually, but I want it to be a good long time before I can't keep up with them anymore. During the winter I worked out an hour or two after dinner. I have switched to 5:30am because I coach baseball in the afternoon and that ties up three days a week. If it's important, you make time.

Mike.