CrossFit Discussion Board  

Go Back   CrossFit Discussion Board > Community > Community
CrossFit Home Forum Site Rules CrossFit FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Community Catch all category for CrossFit community discussion.

Old 07-30-2005, 04:21 AM   #1
Graham Tidey

Profile:
Word to your grandmothers,

I have a great many non-equiptment WoDs in a doc, but find it hard to organise properly.

What I'm looking for is a little C or VB program, flash even, which stores each WoD either in seperate text files or as part of one whole file. Each of these would be assigned a number or identification code. Then when the user loads up the program, he clicks "go" and the randomly chosen WoD for that day is displayed.

Even better would be if each WoD had a "random code" which dictated how often it would be shown when the go button is pressed. Say from 1-3, one being just another WoD and 3 being heavy rotation.

Anyone feel up to the challenge? I've dabbled with VB and C so if the challenge is too too much how about giving me some pointers?

*takes wizard hat off*
Old 07-30-2005, 06:15 AM   #2
Troy Archie

Profile:
That's a great idea man. I used to be good with flash and actionscript, I also used to be fat too...
Old 07-30-2005, 06:56 AM   #3
Graham Hayes

Profile:
Easy peasy...if I have time at the end of the week I'll make it for ya. For the file of WODs you need a text file with a definate format. What I find best is one line for each piece of data e.g:

Workout number
Workout
Frequency

Then when running the program the text file would be loaded up and an array of struct's, objects or whatever of the same format would store the text file in those variables...then a/many random number generator(s) or some other kind of magic for selecting one at random.
Old 07-30-2005, 07:25 AM   #4
Chris Forbis

Profile:
I would just number all the different workouts sequentially. If you want one to occur more frequently, give it more numbers (ex. Fran is #1, 2, AND 3). You'll use all the numbers up through some number X. Get a random number generator (free online applet) to give you a number and multiply by X. Round your answer up (ex. 1.05 goes to 2). That is the workout that you do.

Now if you want something to extract all the past WODs automatically (or log them as they occur), I'd have to do some of that nasty programming.

But that is what I would do, because I dislike programming.
Old 07-30-2005, 10:51 AM   #5
Graham Tidey

Profile:
Ah the sly Mr Hayes. I was just wondering today where you'd got to. Long time no type.

Chris, good idea. Adding the frequency 1-3 thing to a random number generator would be hard. The old more than one instance is a v good idea. Maybe tot up all the Wods and make the ones I want in heavy rotation a certain percentage, like 25% by repeating them. If you're with me.

I mean the list is alright, but if we're going for the perfect workout programme then this would be it!
Old 08-03-2005, 02:42 PM   #6
Graham Hayes

Profile:
As promised:

The text file called "wods" is what you need to put your list in. One line for the workout and one line for the frequency it occurs (same as you specified above). If you put ! marks in the line of text for the workout then it will result in the text after the ! to be printed on a new line. The code is supplied, do what you like with it.
Attached Files
File Type: zip wodRandomiser.zip (5.4 KB, 129 views)
Old 08-03-2005, 02:57 PM   #7
Brendan Melville

Profile:
ew, java *shiver*

couldn't you use a real language? :-)