CrossFit Discussion Board  

Go Back   CrossFit Discussion Board > In Sickness and In Health > Injuries
CrossFit Home Forum Site Rules CrossFit FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Injuries Chronic & Acute

Old 11-12-2006, 12:53 PM   #1
Mark Konen

Profile:
Shortly after doing Painstorm XIX last weekend, I got soreness and tightening in my upper right back, I believe, in the rhomboid muscle. It is impinging nerves and I can feel it in the top of my right forearm. The effects have been weakness of my right (dominant) arm in doing push-ups and when I dip, my body moves to the left, which also greatly limits how many I can do. I tried bench pressing today and that did not work so well as it seemed the muscles on the rights side do not fire off as fast as the left side and could not lift heavy. So far, other than advil, I have been using a foam roller a few times a day.

Hopefully this is enough information to elicit some tips that will help me get over this. (I also am dealing with a groin pull, so I am a bit battered!)

Thanks!
Old 11-12-2006, 01:26 PM   #2
Elliot Royce

Profile:
It sounds like a disc issue if you're getting referred muscle weakness. It could go away with a bit of time but I would see a doctor just to make sure it's nothing more serious. Muscle weakness is actually a pretty major symptom since it suggests that the nerve is being continuously irritated by the disc. Stretching and ibuprofen are a good start but if the weakness continues, you will need stronger measures.
Old 11-12-2006, 06:52 PM   #3
Mike ODonnell

Profile:
Sounds like you f'd up your scapula stabilizers, prob tight and you pulled them doing something stretching overhead...my guess.

Either way, you will experience weakness in any movement esp dips and bench, so don't do any of it. Let it heal. You are only as strong as your weakest muscle....and right now that muscle wants healing, so stay off it for a while.
Old 11-12-2006, 08:28 PM   #4
Mark Konen

Profile:
Thanks, Mike & Elliot. I don't know yet until I get it checked out whether it is a disk issue or scapula stabilizers or what, but what things do you guys think I should be able to do without aggravation? Back squats seem to be fine.
Old 11-13-2006, 09:11 AM   #5
Jason Carriveau

Profile:
maybe some trigger point massage coupled with ice/ibuprofen.
Old 11-13-2006, 12:10 PM   #6
Mike ODonnell

Profile:
Anything that doean't involve your shoulders obviously wouldn't be an issue.

But still...taking some time off all upper body work is the best idea, you can take a few weeks off now....or struggle for the next 6 months...your choice. Injury sucks....but it is going to happen in life, so use the down time to work on other things before hitting the weights again.
Old 11-13-2006, 12:21 PM   #7
Mark Konen

Profile:
Good advice, Mike. I am also training around a groin pull, and I have been hitting CF hard in my first 6 months doing it. The hard part for me is the backing off and resting, but that is what I will have to do. Thanks!
Old 11-16-2006, 06:29 PM   #8
Elliot Royce

Profile:
I think what you have to figure out is whether this weakness is abnormally pronounced. Mike's call is that it is a strain or overuse injury. Mine was more along the lines of something involving the nerves. Neither of us is a doctor (right Mike?) but my experience would be that a disk problem would involve pain and pronounced weakness (you mentioned not being able to hold yourself stable). A disk problem is also less likely to clear up from day to day. So if by now it's feeling better and the weakness is diminished, it's probably more of overuse.

But I've found that (at my age anyway) it pays to check with a good doctor since early intervention (usually PT and exercise modification) works best.
Old 11-16-2006, 06:37 PM   #9
Mike ODonnell

Profile:
Yep Dr Mike it is NOT....always smart to check with a Doctor to make sure it isnt serious.
Old 11-16-2006, 09:15 PM   #10
Scott Allen Hanson

Profile:
About a year and a half ago I had a similar problem. I was doing weighted pull-ups and I strained a muscle in my trapezius. I had severe pain for a couple of days in my neck/upper back, followed by numbness in a couple fingers and weakness in trying to bench or push-up as you describe. You should get checked, but my visit to the Dr. resulted in little enlightenment. He basically told me it was muscular and to rest it, get massage, take muscle relaxants and ibuprofen in high dosages. I don't want to sound discouraging, but I'm still not back to where I started in bench press 18 months later, although I'm close and I can do more dips and pull-ups than ever (started CF about six months after injury). The finger numbness disappeared after about 6-8 weeks. I'd recommend getting it checked for peace of mind, resting it, and working back slowly at first, not that you'll have much choice if your muscles aren't firing like they should. Hopefully your younger and more resilient than I am/was (46 at the time). It took me several months before I could really start doing much of any significant lifting or upper body resistance exercise. I also had problems squatting because of the weight of the bar on my shoulders. Despite the crimp in my weight training, I was able to compete in a 12 hour adventure race 5 days later involving paddling, bike riding, rappelling, and trail running. If your injury is similar to mine, you may have to focus on cardio activities for a while. Good Luck!