CrossFit Discussion Board  

Go Back   CrossFit Discussion Board > In Sickness and In Health > Injuries
CrossFit Home Forum Site Rules CrossFit FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Injuries Chronic & Acute

Old 09-17-2006, 04:07 AM   #1
Daan Smit

Profile:
Hello all,
Since about two days I have been experiencing a sharp pain in the left side of my upper back, just below the shoulder blade, next to my spine. It is a sharp momentary pain that I feel during specific movements, usually when I tense my core. I can feel it in situps, front levers, whenever I jump, even more in tuck jumps (and front flips, dive rolls). Also when I make specific arm movements with my left arm, and while coughing or sneezing or inhaling deeply. The pain lessens slightly if I warm up properly, but not entirely. I do not or hardly feel this pain doing pullups.

I have had this before several months ago. Back then I did not refrain from the APK WOD's, and the pain just lessened and stopped after several days or weeks.

On Navy SEALs.com I found someone with what I think is the same problem: http://www.navyseals.com/community/forums/discussions.cfm?forumid=32&topicid=140 965

Does anyone know what this might be, and if it's serious or not.

Thank you for reading this,
Daan Smit
Old 09-17-2006, 08:39 PM   #2
Steve Serrano

Profile:
You may have to back off using the area hard for a while if it is in such a common use area like the rhomboids: http://www.exrx.net/Muscles/Rhomboids.html.

Does that look like the affected area? Anti-inflammatories and ice post-WODs are usually a help. Either way you'll have to give it enough time to heal.
Old 09-18-2006, 07:14 AM   #3
Daan Smit

Profile:
Excellent, that's it! Thank you. This has cleared up a lot for me. I've been looking at diagrams in my biology book and they only showed the trapezius.
Old 09-18-2006, 08:03 AM   #4
Mike ODonnell

Profile:
I would also suggest rhomboid strengthening exercises, as with most people they are elongated (probably irritated) and weak. Try some shrugging exercises (like a row) but don't bend the arms. Use those rhomboids aka scapula retractors. You can probably google for more information and pictures but it's a common issue with people. Watch posture too...people with weak rhomboids tend to slouch forward (aka using a computer all day at a desk) to make it worse.
Old 09-19-2006, 08:42 AM   #5
Daan Smit

Profile:
I recognize the poor posture thing. I will work on it. Front levers should also work right? As I don't have access to any weights. It's a lot better now, I haven't stopped my activities but I get more sleep and that seems to work :-).
Old 09-19-2006, 10:19 AM   #6
Steven Low

Profile:
For rhomboids, do lots and lots of rows! Heck, for anything back you should just start rowing. C2 rowing probably wouldn't be your best bet as it works more endurance/power so go with something like bent over rows with heavy weight. Make sure to keep your back straight.
Old 09-19-2006, 10:28 AM   #7
Mike ODonnell

Profile:
Also do some stretching for the front delts, and chest...chances are those are tight...which aid in pulling the shoulders forward. For example get a stick and put it behind your neck on your shoulders with both hands holding on (palms facing forward that is)...and keep moving down till you feel that lovely painful stretch.

If you dont have any weights, you could just grab a hold of a pole...and shrug together your scapula pulling yourself towards it using your own bodyweight....or put a rope around the pole and do the same thing...leaning back until you get the right resistance level.