CrossFit Discussion Board  

Go Back   CrossFit Discussion Board > CrossFit Forum > Workout of the Day
CrossFit Home Forum Site Rules CrossFit FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Workout of the Day Questions & performance regarding CrossFit's WOD

Old 03-05-2007, 07:37 AM   #1
William Brownley

Profile:
I haven't tried to do this one because I was out of town, no internet and made up my own. However, I thought 30 BW BPs was a lot, but just attributed it to my own weakness. Then I was looking at some NFL combine scores. The top back in the whole combine (in this event, Brian Leonard, a fullback from Rutgers), worked for 6 plus weeks to get ready for 1 round of 225 pound BPs. His body fat was at 9.6%. His weight was 225. He managed 28 reps in one blow out set.
30 BPs at BW for three rounds seems a little steep, at least for those of us who are on the larger side. I know you can break things up--but still a lot of work. Not that I'm complaining--more impressed if there are actually CF ers who weigh more than 175 who can actually do this in a single set. Thanks, Bill
Old 03-05-2007, 11:21 AM   #2
Andy Shirley

Profile:
I think it was a challenge at some point, 30 reps single set at BW.

I can't do it now, but pre CF as a heavy bench guy, I got 32 reps at 225, 1RM at the time was 430 raw(PL style, with pause), at BW of 255. My elbow is all jacked up at the moment, so I haven't even lifted anything in three weeks(I can't even row, and running hurts it too). I think my best set on Lynne(BW bench for max reps) is 17 or 18.
Old 03-05-2007, 01:55 PM   #3
Darrell E. White

Profile:
William:

As with all strength-based WOD's I approach this one with a question: what is my goal today? Do I want maximum met-con benefit or is strength training my goal. I then chose the appropriate scale in order to get the most benefit.

Alternatively one could use the CFT as a benchmark for scaling in order to approximate the WOD experience of the elite CF'er. Check out the thread elsewhere on "Scaling the WOD" for a fun discussion on that.

Having said that, maybe this is just one WOD where Coach is interested in having even the elites break up their sets!!
Old 03-05-2007, 03:31 PM   #4
William Brownley

Profile:
Andy--you must be a stud assuming most props weigh at least 215. Or, you are a stud to play prop at less than 215. Darrell--thanks for the advice--I couldn't figure out if this one was MetCon or strength training--the volume and the run seemed metcon, the weight seemed strength training.
Old 03-05-2007, 05:09 PM   #5
Andy Shirley

Profile:
William,
You must have misread my post. I haven't weighed less than 220 since high school. Gotten close a few times, but am currently right around 240(diet has been awful lately). If I get too light, it has in the past adversely affected my scrummaging(and if you can't win the ball on your own put, you are pretty useless as a prop).

And there's not always a strict line drawn between strength and metcon.

Old 03-05-2007, 08:05 PM   #6
Darrell E. White

Profile:
I agree with Andy. My challenge is that I am often not strong enough to get BOTH a strength AND a met-con benefit from some of the WOD's. A good example is "Diane"...
Old 03-06-2007, 11:24 AM   #7
Matt DeMinico

Profile:
I'm no expert, but I think you can still get strength in a workout by lowering the weight and increasing the reps. I hadn't done bodyweight squats, pretty much ever (with the exception of like gym class), and ever since I started doing them, my overall leg strength has gone up. I think it's because if you work in one area for too long (muscle strength), you'll hit a plateau, but if you balance it with working on muscle endurance (or even muscle power, coordination, etc, all crossfit areas), you'll see that you'll soon break through to a higher muscle strength, much beyond the plateau you could've been stuck at.