CrossFit Discussion Board  

Go Back   CrossFit Discussion Board > CrossFit Forum > Nutrition
CrossFit Home Forum Site Rules CrossFit FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Nutrition Diet, supplements, weightloss, health & longevity

Old 05-06-2007, 01:35 PM   #1
Jonathan Plaud

Profile:
I wonder if protein shakes are a good thing, I asked my Mom while she was in WalMart and sure enough, there was nothing to be found. It must be a sign for me to look for a more natural supplement.

I have a lot of questions for this.

1) What foods should I concentrating on eating for now on?

2) What should I stay away from?

3) Is it good to eat before or after a work out? When is the best time after or before?

4) When should I start?

Forgive me for throwing all these questions out, but I am just trying to find a good reach in doing my own cross fitness regiment. My left side seems to be weaker by a little (MS flare up) and I am doing my best to stop it and prevent any more flare ups like this.
Old 05-06-2007, 02:36 PM   #2
Kevin McKay

Profile:
Here are some guidelines I put together
http://www.simplefit.org/nutrition.html
Old 05-07-2007, 05:36 AM   #3
Gorm Laursen

Profile:
No matter what you goals are (expect if your goal is to become fat) you wont miss a thing at all if you eat:

Lean meat, fish, fowl and eggs.
Vegetables of any kind (hold back on the potatoes).
Fruits of any kind (hold back on the ripe bananas).
Nuts
Fat in the form of olive oil and fish oil (obviously you wouldn't want to use fish oil for cooking, just eat the capsules).
Dairy: milk, cheese and yougurt (it's not a must, but if you like dairy and have no problems with them, I say eat 'em).

Avoid:
Sugar, candy, flour, bread etc. In other words avoid c r a p food and fast food. Learn to cook. You won't regret it.

Concentrate every meal around the meat, and supply with vegetables. Eat fruit and nuts for snacks.

Regarding eating before and after workouts, I personally perform best on an empty stomach while others just can't do without food. If you can't do without food, eat approx. 1 1/2 hour to 45 min. before. You CAN go for a protein shake after training if you want to enlarge the purse of the protein shake business owner. If you don't have that ambition, go for a regular meal with meat in it. Read: Go for real food.

And finally: always trust your body when it comes to food. Eat when your hungry, and when I say hungry, I mean a hunger that doesn't go away after 5 minutes. Also use the mirror alot. Do you like what you see? The more you like it, the more on right track you are ...
Old 05-07-2007, 07:56 PM   #4
Bo Riser

Profile:
Protein shakes can be beneficial but aren't always necessary. I was drinking a couple of protein shakes a day until I had a study of my diet at the University. I was getting more than enough protein in my diet without the shakes. I would rather eat it than drink it.