CrossFit Discussion Board  

Go Back   CrossFit Discussion Board > Community > Community
CrossFit Home Forum Site Rules CrossFit FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Community Catch all category for CrossFit community discussion.

Old 07-27-2011, 09:27 AM   #1
Mark Harris.

Profile:
Proper Steps to take?

Good morn all from steamy/dreadfully hot St. Louis Missouri! I have a inquiry about how I should go about becoming Crossfit/Crossfit Kids/Crossfit Football certified. Ive read the main site and the descriptions. "So why is he asking us?" I really don't plan on opening my own gym for profit. I'm entering my 15th year of Elementary PE teaching. I'm tired of the same ole, same ole. Even though the kids love playing the traditional things I think I should be putting more on the table. I work in a low income area of St Louis. We have a gang/drug issue. Kids walk to school eating a family size bag of Flaming Hot Cheetohs. They serve Pop Tarts for breakfast blah blah. Typical issues of any urban school district in the Bible Belt.

I have kids ages 5-12 twice per week for 50mins. I've dabbled in CF since 2003. By dabble I mean I've trained at the OG Crossfit HQ with Coach, Jason Highbarger etc. I've trained off and on here in St Louis at our local affiliate. I only stopped because of the price tag ($185 per month). But this summer I've really taken an interest in doing more in my district. Also, with all the cuts I need tobe more marketable for my district or other districts in case I'm cut.

Sooooooo, what's a time frame I should look at in order to renew my body to CF before getting Level 1 cert? Like train for x amount of months before attending a seminar? Sorry this is a long post but I'm sitting in a faculty meeting
Old 07-27-2011, 09:34 AM   #2
Lawrence "Bo" Boland III

Profile:
Re: Proper Steps to take?

Quote:
Originally Posted by MarkHarris View Post
Sooooooo, what's a time frame I should look at in order to renew my body to CF before getting Level 1 cert? Like train for x amount of months before attending a seminar? Sorry this is a long post but I'm sitting in a faculty meeting
In a CF Level 1 Cert, you're going to be doing Fran, lots of PVC Oly lifts, and probably some other group metcon over the course of 2 days. There is no requirement to actually be fit to go to these seminars. Even if you can't do Fran as RX'ed... don't worry about it.

FWIW, I cannot do Fran as RX'ed.... and all I did was take the day before the cert off from training.

I think it's really great that you're doing this to improve your kids' experience.
Old 07-27-2011, 09:43 AM   #3
Mark Harris.

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lawrence "Bo" Boland III View Post
In a CF Level 1 Cert, you're going to be doing Fran, lots of PVC Oly lifts, and probably some other group metcon over the course of 2 days. There is no requirement to actually be fit to go to these seminars. Even if you can't do Fran as RX'ed... don't worry about it.

FWIW, I cannot do Fran as RX'ed.... and all I did was take the day before the cert off from training.

I think it's really great that you're doing this to improve your kids' experience.
Ok thanks. I was thinking of just bucking up and paying the fee with my coaching pay this season and train up until Spring Break 2012. I get a week off in March and can fly somewhere for the Level 1 Cert. So that's about 8 months to get in shape before.

I coach 3 Sports, football, basketball and track so the fee wouldn't kill me. Not to mention I could possibly convince the school district to foot the Certification Fee out of our Wellness Grant.

Is 8 months enough?
Old 07-27-2011, 09:57 AM   #4
Rebecca Roth

Profile:

You shouldn't need to travel anywhere, we typically have 1-2 L1 certs a year here in STL (the last one I'm aware of was in Feb). You also don't need to train for it, its very typical that there will be people there who have never done CF (or any workout program) and have little or no intention of doing CF in the future, they are simply becoming certified in order to affiliate as they see the opportunity as business owners of doing so, you will be allowed to scale the workout to your level. The main key to getting the L1 training guide from the CFJ and studying the crap out of it, and understanding in depth the concepts presented there - your ability to train someone else is going to be alot more pertinent than your ability to work out.

Last edited by Rebecca Roth : 07-27-2011 at 09:59 AM.
Old 07-27-2011, 10:02 AM   #5
Mark Harris.

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rebecca Roth View Post
You shouldn't need to travel anywhere, we typically have 1-2 L1 certs a year here in STL (the last one I'm aware of was in Feb). You also don't need to train for it, its very typical that there will be people there who have never done CF (or any workout program) and have little or no intention of doing CF in the future, they are simply becoming certified in order to affiliate as they see the opportunity as business owners of doing so, you will be allowed to scale the workout to your level. The main key to getting the L1 training guide from the CFJ and studying the crap out of it, and understanding in depth the concepts presented there - your ability to train someone else is going to be alot more pertinent than your ability to work out.
Wow I had no idea there were Certs done here in STL!! Great. I understand that I don't have to be to work out as hard as the Crossfit Vets but as a teacher/coach I really reach my kids by Walking the Talk. Lol I just downloaded the training guide and whoa, it's like being a student all over.