CrossFit Discussion Board  

Go Back   CrossFit Discussion Board > CrossFit Forum > Starting
CrossFit Home Forum Site Rules CrossFit FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Starting For newcomers to the CrossFit methodology

Old 08-06-2007, 09:00 AM   #1
Ward Ault

Profile:
Hello all!
I am new to crossfit and just wanted to ask a couple of questions before I start using the program. My main question comes concerning the USMC PFT and TBS. Right now my main training goal is to prepared as well as possible for both of these. However, I really want to run a sub-18:00 minute on my 3 mile for the PFT so I can max it out. As I stand right now, I run about a 20:00. My question stands around the amount of running I can add to the normal WOD's without overtraining (I run 15-20 miles a week on average). I have read and searched on a lot of different topics, but I could not really find one that really focused on the PFT and TBS. I would like any suggestions that anyone has on what they think about this topic. I am going to be doing the WOD's and want to add in enough running so that I can go out and bang out an 18 minute 3 miler. Thanks for your help!
Old 08-06-2007, 10:09 AM   #2
Kevin McMillan

Profile:
i try and run an easy 2-3 mile each morning too, and havnet had any issues with over training. when a run comes up like a 3 mile or 6mile on the wod i run it at night but for time on top of my morning run.

welcome! and best of luck on the sub 18!
Old 08-06-2007, 09:34 PM   #3
Kevin McKay

Profile:
Another approach would be to try applying a tabata type protocol to running.

Effects of moderate-intensity endurance and high-intensity intermittent training on anaerobic capacity and VO2max.

Tabata I, Nishimura K, Kouzaki M, Hirai Y, Ogita F, Miyachi M, Yamamoto K.

Department of Physiology and Biomechanics, National Institute of Fitness and Sports, Kagoshima Prefecture, Japan.

This study consists of two training experiments using a mechanically braked cycle ergometer. First, the effect of 6 wk of moderate-intensity endurance training (intensity: 70% of maximal oxygen uptake (VO2max), 60 min.d-1, 5 d.wk-1) on the anaerobic capacity (the maximal accumulated oxygen deficit) and VO2max was evaluated. After the training, the anaerobic capacity did not increase significantly (P > 0.10), while VO2max increased from 53 +/- 5 ml.kg-1 min-1 to 58 +/- 3 ml.kg-1.min-1 (P < 0.01) (mean +/- SD). Second, to quantify the effect of high-intensity intermittent training on energy release, seven subjects performed an intermittent training exercise 5 d.wk-1 for 6 wk. The exhaustive intermittent training consisted of seven to eight sets of 20-s exercise at an intensity of about 170% of VO2max with a 10-s rest between each bout. After the training period, VO2max increased by 7 ml.kg-1.min-1, while the anaerobic capacity increased by 28%. In conclusion, this study showed that moderate-intensity aerobic training that improves the maximal aerobic power does not change anaerobic capacity and that adequate high-intensity intermittent training may improve both anaerobic and aerobic energy supplying systems significantly, probably through imposing intensive stimuli on both systems.
PMID: 8897392 [PubMed - indexed for MEDLINE]
Old 08-06-2007, 09:37 PM   #4
Kevin McKay

Profile:
This is adapted from a cosgrove program

Simple running program

The Routine:
Warm up for five minutes

Round: Perform 1 minute as fast as you can (a level 9 or 10 intensity on a scale of 1-10).
Recover at a moderate pace for two minutes (a level 6-7 intensity).
That's one "round" and it lasts three minutes
Cool down for five minutes

Weeks One to Four: Perform three rounds, three times per week.

The total cardio time will be 19 mins per workout including warm up
and cool down.

Weeks Five to Eight: Perform four rounds, four times per week.

The total cardio time will be 22 mins per workout including warm up
and cool down.

Weeks Nine to Twelve: Perform five rounds, four times per week.

The total cardio time will be 25 mins per workout including warm up
and cool down.

Weeks Thirteen to Sixteen: Perform six rounds, five times per week.

The total cardio time will be 28 mins per workout including warm up
and cool down.
Old 08-07-2007, 07:24 AM   #5
Lisa Quinn

Profile:
Welcome Ward and best to you at TBS and your sub 18 run. Our son is at TBS now.
Old 08-08-2007, 05:53 AM   #6
Ward Ault

Profile:
Thanks everyone! I appreciate your responses.
Old 08-08-2007, 03:35 PM   #7
Monique T. Ames

Profile:
My 2 cents: run anywhere from 400 meters up to 3 miles. Mix it up constantly but always run it timed at 100% effort. Sometimes do the run first sometimes do it last (relating to WOD). Also, vary your rest period. It'll bring it all together. Get plenty of rest, listen to your body, take fish oil pills and ice your knees after training.

And finally, semper fi
Old 08-08-2007, 06:26 PM   #8
Michael J. Mueller

Profile:
I appologize in advance for what might seem like a pedestrian question.
Is this program and the WOD the only workout you do for the day? I'm not discounting the intensity I'm just searching for answers.
I understand about the warm-up but just want to confirm that after that the WOD is the only actual lifting you do if you are following the posts.
Thanks.

Das
Old 08-08-2007, 07:29 PM   #9
Ward Ault

Profile:
I am now doing the WOD and a little added running as my workouts. Maybe a bike and swim here and there when I feel like it. I have been an avid lifter/PT'er and was very hesistant to start crossfit, but after just doing a couple of crossfit workouts and not even coming close to finishing...I can say that the WOD and a little cardio on my own when I feel up to it is more than enough (sorry for the run on sentence)
Old 08-09-2007, 06:05 PM   #10
David Wood

Profile:

Hi Michael, welcome to CrossFit!

The short answer is a resounding "sort of".

Many people combine the WOD with some form of sport-specific training (various kinds of martial arts are the most common).

Others regularly follow a variation of CrossFit known as the "ME Black Box", in which you take the middle day of each 3-day cycle and replace the WOD with a day of heavy lifting (ME stands for "Max Effort"), usually on one of the "big" lifts (squats, deadlift, clean & jerk, snatch). That day's lifting should be fairly heavy and involve at least some maximum efforts (not 3 sets of 8 reps for 9 body parts, more like 5 x 5 on the squat, with as much weight as you can handle).

This variation is popular among folks looking to get stronger, or who have invested a lot in their current size and strength and/or just like the heavy lifting.

But most of us just do the WOD as our primary form of general fitness, and spend any more time available for training either on working specific skills (gymnastics, parkour), or just plain old having fun (i.e., playing).

For those of us doing that, the motto is: If you feel like you could do more than the WOD, you didn't do it hard enough.