CrossFit Discussion Board  

Go Back   CrossFit Discussion Board > CrossFit Forum > Nutrition
CrossFit Home Forum Site Rules CrossFit FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Nutrition Diet, supplements, weightloss, health & longevity

Old 10-22-2013, 07:22 AM   #1
Matthew Wilkinson

Profile:
Cheating

Hey guys, I eat as clean as possible, but being a student this is not always easy, anyway I don't allow myself cheat days or anything but at times it's unavoidable that you have to eat something fatty or unhealthy, how do you guys deal with this? Should I always keep a lunch box on me or add in another workout or something on the days I eat badly? I am paranoid about gaining body fat. I appreciate any advice! Thanks
Old 10-22-2013, 07:37 AM   #2
Don Beam

Profile:
Re: Cheating

Quote:
Originally Posted by Matthew Wilkinson View Post
Hey guys, I eat as clean as possible, but being a student this is not always easy, anyway I don't allow myself cheat days or anything but at times it's unavoidable that you have to eat something fatty or unhealthy, how do you guys deal with this? Should I always keep a lunch box on me or add in another workout or something on the days I eat badly? I am paranoid about gaining body fat. I appreciate any advice! Thanks
Hey dude. Tupperware.

I'm the director of a treatment program for at-risk youth and constantly on the go; between staff meetings, training my employees, out of building, corporate stuff, etc, etc...you get the point. Every Sunday I food prep for the week, this way I avoid having to spend unnecessary $$ on food that is probably going to be crap. If you're not competing professionally or do not have any aspirations of going pro, I wouldnt sweat it dude. If you're working out 5-6 times a week, eating clean 90% of the time, and once or twice you eat something that isnt "completely healthy," I wouldnt beat myself up over it.
Old 10-22-2013, 07:43 AM   #3
John L. Mclaughlin

Profile:

As a college student myself, the food crisis can be difficult. It really does help to pack a lunch and a crap load of snacks. Try bringing an apple w/ peanut butter, beef jerky and cheese, nuts and seeds, etc. to supplement your main meal.
Old 10-22-2013, 08:35 AM   #4
Matthew Wilkinson

Profile:

Thanks for the advice guys!
Old 10-22-2013, 09:51 AM   #5
Derek McLaughlin

Profile:

Life is too short to beat yourself up over indulging from time to time, brother. I love eating clean, but I also love pizza, ice cream, beer, etc.
Old 10-22-2013, 04:18 PM   #6
Rob Darden

Profile:

Eat that shyt up! Then eat some more. No one ever got fat from eating one bad meal. And nobody is perfect. Do the best you can, live life and keep kicking ***!
Old 10-23-2013, 07:52 PM   #7
Luke Sirakos

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Derek McLaughlin View Post
Life is too short to beat yourself up over indulging from time to time, brother. I love eating clean, but I also love pizza, ice cream, beer, etc.
This. One meal/day of poor eating is not going to make an impact on your life. The only reason you should be that anal about your diet is if you are preparing for a bodybuilding competition or cutting weight for a sport, otherwise enjoy life every now and then.
Old 10-24-2013, 05:43 AM   #8
Matthew Wilkinson

Profile:

Thanks for all the advice guys
Old 10-24-2013, 08:30 AM   #9
Maggie Collister

Profile:

A lot depends on you, how much junk you can eat. It's easy to tell. I really can not have crap more than once a week and hope to lose weight.

If you want to eat clean, that really depends on you being prepared. Once a week, I plan out my meals, make a list, buy the needed groceries and then pre-cook anything I'm planning for lunches. I try and make sure I always have an easy emergency dinner on hand that I can prepare in under 10 minutes.

If I was like you- in school, I'd figure out a couple of reliable lunches and carry a lunch daily, plus a couple of decent snacks if you need them. I assume you can eat breakfast and dinner at home. I find that my worst decisions come at about 2pm when my lunch was too skimpy, and I have no healthy snacks, so roam out to get a snack, which usually is not good. A good snack, IMO, is not so delicious that you'll eat it even if you are not hungry (for me, an apple with almond butter is an example of that), but tastes OK and is filling (I like boiled eggs or a piece of chicken or something like that).

Also, don't buy crap at the store because you will eat it. I try and make damn sure junk food decisions don't linger around my house for a week.

The other thing, a simpler clean diet is easy to manage. Right now, I'm on a really strict diet, and it's very easy to stick to. Same meals every day. It's boring but I feel great, and its easy to prepare.
Old 10-24-2013, 08:52 AM   #10
Ryan Bracewell

Profile:

occasional cheat meals are always a good idea. it can help your performance and metabolism. Almost every diet I've seen for athletes includes at least one cheat meal every 1-2 weeks. Ive seen some diets with 1-3 cheat meals every week depending on the type of training. What you eat for a cheat meal is up to you but can be anything from Subway to Ice Cream.