CrossFit Discussion Board  

Go Back   CrossFit Discussion Board > CrossFit Forum > Nutrition
CrossFit Home Forum Site Rules CrossFit FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Nutrition Diet, supplements, weightloss, health & longevity

Old 10-18-2013, 07:17 AM   #11
Snir Golan

Profile:
Re: Putting on some muscle.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joseph Regan View Post
I personally like what you laid out. Anyone saying that you dont need that much protein, after looking at your stats, has never tried building a bunch of muscle. YOU NEED HIGH PROTEIN!!! I have done it both ways and if your protein isnt up there, as well as your carbs, you wont grow as well. This is from real world experience not bs internet talk. Make sure your carbs are mostly around your workouts.

For those that think im full of crap, i went from 200 lbs with 20% bf to 210lbs with 5% bf and the fastest way there was higher protein and carbs centered around my workouts.
did anyone here tell him not to go high on protein? we are saying that you don't need THAT much protein and its actually not that great to go to high on Protein since it can bring its own problems.

Last edited by Snir Golan : 10-18-2013 at 07:23 AM.
Old 10-18-2013, 07:22 AM   #12
Joseph Regan

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Snir Golan View Post
did anyone here tell him not to go high on protein? we are saying that you don't need THAT much protein and its actually not that great to go to high on Protein since it can bring its own problems.

and i do like how you just assume that all of us just do BS internet talk and nobody here has any real world experience, strong work there.
Yes several people did say to lower the protein. He is 5'11" and almost 200 lbs and wants to put on muscle. at those stats, 1 to 1 1/2 grams of protein is a minimum of 200 grams and upwards of 300 grams.

And where did i exactly point to anyone on here SPECIFICALLY saying they were the ones i was referring to???
Old 10-18-2013, 07:29 AM   #13
Snir Golan

Profile:

sorry, that line just rubbed me the wrong way. almost everybody here is talking from real life experience so saying that you speak from real experience and not internet BS is a bit offensive.

as for the Protein, i don't think he should go more than 1g per 1lbs even when trying to build muscle and gain in size, that should be more than enough.
Old 10-18-2013, 07:47 AM   #14
John L. Mclaughlin

Profile:

Here is the secret to building muscle: 0.7-1.0 grams of lean protein per pound of body weight; 2.5g of carbs per pound of body weight, 1.8-1.5 on rest days( carbs should be centered primarily pre/WO and post/WO; and about 0.6 grams of fat per pound of body weight.
What has been found is that having a quickly digestible carb source after a workout causes and insulin spike which increases the effectiveness of the anabolic state. Carbs pre/WO give you a shot of readily absorbed and burned glycogen so your body doesn't turn to muscle proteins and ATP.
Here's the thing. To lose weight and fat, you need to burn more than you eat. To gain weight, you need to eat more than you burn. In a mass building phase, little cardio should be done besides some maintenance work.
Trust me, in only a month and a half( roughly) I've put on 6-7 pounds of muscle. I learned to not listen to everything the muscle mags said, to listen to my own body, and to be open to input. I've had days where I've only had about 80g of protein and was recovered the next day, because building muscle is more than just eating protein. Your diet needs to be in balance, your stress and life needs to be in balance, and you need to get lots of sleep
'Nough said.
Old 10-21-2013, 06:24 AM   #15
Drew Cloutier

Profile:

I never understand why people spout that stuff of OMG thats to much protein for you, your insides will turn blue and you'll poo a yellow brick road, or you can't absorb more then 30g of protein at a time.

Paleo man used to gorge himself on meat when he had a big kill, you didn't see him keeling over because of TO MUCH protein.

the 1g per pound is usually what bodybuilding says is its MINIMUM.

Different people will have different recommendations also, I worked with a trainer who wanted me to be in the 300-400g range and I can honestly tell you I never gained better then on that diet, but others fair well on less protein and more carbs.

if you're 190 shooting for 200-250g of protein is just fine, just make sure its good protein from quality meat and/or protein powder.
Old 10-21-2013, 06:35 AM   #16
Snir Golan

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Drew Cloutier View Post
I never understand why people spout that stuff of OMG thats to much protein for you, your insides will turn blue and you'll poo a yellow brick road, or you can't absorb more then 30g of protein at a time.

Paleo man used to gorge himself on meat when he had a big kill, you didn't see him keeling over because of TO MUCH protein.

Different people will have different recommendations also, I worked with a trainer who wanted me to be in the 300-400g range and I can honestly tell you I never gained better then on that diet, but others fair well on less protein and more carbs.

if you're 190 shooting for 200-250g of protein is just fine, just make sure its good protein from quality meat and/or protein powder.

not to be nitpicky but Paleo man also went days without any Protein if it wasn't available either way, do whatever works for you.
Old 10-21-2013, 12:21 PM   #17
Joseph Regan

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Drew Cloutier View Post

AGREED
Old 10-24-2013, 09:15 AM   #18
Ryan Bracewell

Profile:

I skimmed through most of the comments but I didnt see anything that said what your ultimate goal is? obviously the short term is to put on more muscle but what is the long term? I ask because if your goal is to be better at crossfit then your "bulk" may be different than if you just want to be bigger.

In regards to protein intake you are on the right track. 200-300g would be ideal for gaining additional size and of course the more you can get from whole food the better. Personally I try not to get more than 1/3 of my protein from shakes each day.
Old 10-24-2013, 10:52 AM   #19
Rob Darden

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ryan Bracewell View Post
I skimmed through most of the comments but I didnt see anything that said what your ultimate goal is? obviously the short term is to put on more muscle but what is the long term? I ask because if your goal is to be better at crossfit then your "bulk" may be different than if you just want to be bigger.

In regards to protein intake you are on the right track. 200-300g would be ideal for gaining additional size and of course the more you can get from whole food the better. Personally I try not to get more than 1/3 of my protein from shakes each day.
Yes this is a short term goal. This has nothing to do with Crossfit. I Mostly strength train and push and pull sleds for conditioning besides riding BMX full time. I am looking to run this over winter and in to early spring. I usually follow a low carb diet so I wanted to switch things up and improve my strength and put on a little meat, then lean out.
Old 10-24-2013, 11:01 AM   #20
Ryan Bracewell

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rob Darden View Post
Yes this is a short term goal. This has nothing to do with Crossfit. I Mostly strength train and push and pull sleds for conditioning besides riding BMX full time. I am looking to run this over winter and in to early spring. I usually follow a low carb diet so I wanted to switch things up and improve my strength and put on a little meat, then lean out.
Your overall setup in the OP looked pretty good assuming 3000 cals is enough for your body to grow...everyones metabolism is different so only you would know if that enough. In my experience very few strength athletes have success on low carb diets. Many powerlifter and strongman will simply eat whatever they want for calories (pizza, fast food, etc.) but the ones that want to be healthy will stick to rice(all kinds), yams, potatoes, fruit, and carb powders. If you want to stay leaner while bulky I would look at designing each meal to either be high carb or high fat rather than having both together.