CrossFit Discussion Board  

Go Back   CrossFit Discussion Board > Community > Community
CrossFit Home Forum Site Rules CrossFit FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Community Catch all category for CrossFit community discussion.

Old 06-16-2005, 09:44 AM   #1
Jason Millard

Profile:
Has anyone gotten out of a yearly membership from gym without wasting a lot of $$ or losing a limb?

It wasn't explained to me when I signed up for auto-withdrawel that I was actually signing a year long contract handled by an outside source.

The only way out is to move 25 miles away from the gym or prove I am physically incapable of working out. Neither apply to me. The OT at work is the main culprit. When you call the company, you are thrusted in to the David Spade/Capital One commercial - "no, cabo wab-no, marco pol-no, we can't help you - go away."

I guess it's my own fault for not reading the "contract". Just wondering if anyone ran into something like this and if you got out, how?

J
Old 06-16-2005, 09:52 AM   #2
Karl Steadman

Profile:
Got my mate at work to write a letter on company paper saying i was to be relocated with work. Got it cancelled straight away.

Happy days!
Old 06-16-2005, 10:15 AM   #3
John Walsh

Profile:
Jason,

Get creative there is always a way out of these things. Write a lot of letters and put a stop on your account with these clowns. Write a letter to them telling them you are not satified with their services, too many twits curling in the squat rack, and put a freeze on the EFT.There's not a whole lot they can do about it. These gym contracts are legally pretty flimsy.
Old 06-16-2005, 10:29 AM   #4
Ben Kaminski

Profile:
except that he signed it... I would go with the relocated at work letter. Refusing to pay would look bad for your credit if the gym pursues it.
Old 06-16-2005, 10:40 AM   #5
Ron Nelson

Profile:
The best way is to negotiate your way out.
If you just stop paying, you will be in breach and subject to a collection action or lawsuit. Probably both.
If the amount you still owe is under a statutory limit, you may end up in a small claims court where you will get to plea your case in front of a judge. You never know, the judge may agree with you and let you out of the contract. If the provision calling for a one-year membership wasn't spelled out clearly; it may be vague and you're in luck.
Best to get an attorney to take a look at the agreement and the circumstances of your entering into it and get a well informed opinion.
Nothing I said here shoudl be taken as fully informed as I am speculating based on what you've said. Besides, PA is a commonwealth state and I am not familiar with its laws.
[/end disclaimer]
Old 06-16-2005, 11:58 AM   #6
Daniel Overvoll

Profile:
I had the same problem 16 years ago when I was at Ft. Bragg. The REALLY HOT promotions/sales girl told me it was a three month trial and I could quit after that. I figured $60.00 for 3 months and I'd quit. After 3 months, I went to quit and the HOTTIE is nowhere to be seen, but it seems I've signed up for the 1 year contract. I should have been reading the small print instead of her sparkling eyes... Anyway, I just stopped paying and going.

3 years later the Gov. is doing my pre-employment background and they see I have a collection for $320.00 outstanding on my credit. I call and find out it is this gym thing. The gym is now gone, but the collection agency holds the debt. I negotiated with them and settled for $160.00 to have it taken off my credit report. I would have paid the whole $320.00 if I thought it would hold up my hiring process. Live and learn.

Jason - If reasoning with the managers doesn't work, you have to ask yourself if going to small claims/or an attorney is worth the cost as opposed to just paying, or negotiating a buy-out of your contract. I would STRONGLY advise you not to lie or fabricate a reason for terminating. I have to believe that your integrity is worth more than whatever you may lose by paying.

If all else fails, refer to the former CF Journal explaining how to get thrown out of your gym!! They may just let you go in peace if you make yourself enough of a pain.

Good luck,

DanO
Old 06-16-2005, 01:40 PM   #7
Jason Millard

Profile:
Thanks for the info guys. I'm actually not under contract with the gym, but with the financial company that handles the memberships. The gym could care less if I show up, I assume they already have their $$.

I called the company to find out what kind of proof I needed to get out - if I were to move, I would need a lease agreement, new utility bill, new driver's license, or a letter from an employer accompanied by a pay stub. The medical excuse would need to be on a Doc's letterhead with signature.

I don't know, I guess I may have to give up a tad bit of the OT or just stay at work later & cut into the mountain biking & vball. I can't see wasting the $315 for 9 more months of the membership or messing my credit report up because I apparently sold my soul to workout.

DanO, I have that journal and may have to review my options.
Old 06-16-2005, 01:54 PM   #8
Dan Silver

Profile:

Step-1: Leave a note in a conspicuous location that says something cryptic and creepy like "sex...kill...puppy...whiskey." Then, sign your name, barely legibly, at the bottom. When a staff member at gym approaches you with the note, go to step 2.

Step-2: State the following quote.

"Well, I gotta tell you: I'd be very, very careful who you talk to about that, because the person who wrote that... is dangerous. And this button-down, Oxford-cloth psycho might just snap, and then stalk from pec-deck to swiss-ball with an Armalite AR-10 carbine gas-powered semi-automatic weapon, pumping round after round into colleagues and gym-rats. This might be someone you've known for years. Someone very, very close to you."

Step-3: In a different tone of voice state "I'm gonna go ahead and cancel my membership. Thanks."

-D.
Old 06-16-2005, 02:49 PM   #9
Peter Galloway

Profile:

Step-4: Take evasive action before the mandatory "stacked" member of gym staff sits on your head...
Old 06-16-2005, 02:53 PM   #10
John Walsh

Profile:
Dan Silver that is way too funny.:rofl: