CrossFit Discussion Board  

Go Back   CrossFit Discussion Board > CrossFit Forum > Starting
CrossFit Home Forum Site Rules CrossFit FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Starting For newcomers to the CrossFit methodology

Old 04-22-2006, 07:57 AM   #1
Erik Preston

Profile:
Has this happened to anyone? Now that you've spent some time Crossfitting in your garage gym, or at a bare bones, highly functional Crossfit Affiliate "gym", and you want to make the best of your membership at your regular gym, but don't know how to go about doing it? I walked into my gym today, knowing that split routines, periodization, and isolation movements are a thing of the past. So I just moved into tabata squats next to the rack, followed by deadlifts, high pulls to clean push presses, running over to the pull up bar, etc. I saw the funny looks out of the corner of my eye, --so I guess my question is, how does one make the best out of their local gym, with a Crossfit Mindset?
Old 04-22-2006, 10:51 AM   #2
Philippe Deslandes

Profile:
Hello Erik,

I have been Crossfitting since january. The only comments I had at my workplace (mining site up north Quebec, Canada) is that we (me and three disciples) seem to work very hard. But in my hometown gym wich is mostly specialized in rehab and athlete conditionning I felt the same thing as you.

My advice to you is do your things and adapt the training if the equipment is not available. Often I will do rowing instead of threadmill and DB press instead of bench. It works fine and guess what, the gym's owner spoke to my girlfriend when I wasn't there (I was at my work site) and seemed interested in what they were doing (her and sister).

Regards,

Phil
Old 04-22-2006, 12:31 PM   #3
Laura Rucker

Profile:
I know most people have a bit more of an expense with their gym memberships, but I have one through my office and it's only about 18 bucks a month. About 1 or two times a week I go in and do a CrossFit workout. Usually the ones that don't involve rope climbs :happy:. I'll adapt with aerobic steps for box jump, use gravitron for pull ups, rower for runs, etc.

So far I have several acquaintances and friends express interests in CrossFit. And I like to have it as an option when I am not able to get to a CrossFit class. That way I won't have to wait until 10pm to do my workout at home. heh.
Old 04-22-2006, 02:15 PM   #4
David Sailor

Profile:
I do the same as Laura. The gym is literally across the street from me and I will go there 1 or 2 times a week with the wod that makes the most sense there. I would much rather do the work out at home but that means either early am which is not a prime time for me of the end of the day which usually conflicts with running our kids to and from soccer or track practice. My membership is not expensive enough to get rid of it and I feel that by doing some of the workouts there, I will generate some interest in Crossfit.

David

(Message edited by sailorcrew on April 22, 2006)
Old 04-22-2006, 02:20 PM   #5
Darrell E. White

Profile:
Erik:

i've been CF'ing since 1/1/06 in a rather hight end fitness and tennis club. Two huge advantages for me that seem to not be the case with other gym members here on the board are that the weight area is deserted at noon when I often work out, and that the two lead dog trainers are both way into olympic lifts and have researched CF. I was chatting with one of the tennis pros (Idon't play...life long golfer (=; ) anddescribing how cool it was to do "three bars of death" and have absolutely no one in the way. My advice would be to recon the flow in the weight area and find the lowest usage time that's convenient for you, and then basically ignore everyone while you fly through the WOD! You never know if a trainer or owner may take an interest in your workout and acquire KB's or other cool stuff.
Old 04-22-2006, 03:33 PM   #6
Erik Preston

Profile:
Dr. White and all: great advice. I do notice the "what's he doing that I should be doing?" kind of looks, and with utter humility, I am looking forward to the chance opportunity to intelligently share Crossfit to others, without sounding pompous or Messianic.
Old 04-24-2006, 05:25 AM   #7
Jason Billows

Profile:
Erik,

I keep my big box gym membership because it is close to work and good for lunchtime workouts when I can't get it done at home.

I have found it helpful to create a number of alternate workouts. When the WOD is difficult to do at the gym I just pull out one of these workouts. I have organized these workouts in ways that give me a great workout, but work with the layout of equipment at my gym. For example, the rowers are far away from the pull up bar, so my gym workouts can't combine these exercises easily.
Old 04-24-2006, 06:05 AM   #8
Craig Van De Walker

Profile:
I keep my big box @ 24-hr cause it's only $99 a year, I can use any-one of the chain when I travel and there are three within 6 miles of my house. I signed up for one of those "specials" where I paid up front for a guaranteed ongoing "low rate" I am sure they had an actuary figure out what the odds of someone continuing to work out after the initial two year membership was up. (but I am an outlier)

I train about half the time at the gym and just ignore the gawking. Some people ask questions, but I am hardly ever interrupted mid set when it is obvious I can't breathe enough to answer. I have had a few people ask for advice on specific things but no-one has actually followed through and started crossfit as far as I know. The big stares usually come when I am doing MU on the squat rack especially when I ask if I can work in (when someone is squatting and jump up to knock em out).

The regular gym is nice variety for me.
Old 04-24-2006, 09:51 AM   #9
Erik Preston

Profile:
Good advice-- Does anyone have any couplets that are Big Gym Friendly that they would like to share? I was thinking that commandeering the cage seems like the place where I can do Crossfit best. But of course, the Crossfit Maxim is "varied, if not random," so I wouldn't want to get comfortable with this route. I would greatly appreciate your thoughts. I came up with something--what are your thoughts? Hang Clean to Push Press to Front Squat to Thruster as a functional movement? Oh yeah, how do you do MU on the squat rack? Modified from the rings, just on one bar?

Old 04-24-2006, 02:39 PM   #10
Jason Billows

Profile:
I like to mix in rowing. Try a 500m row followed by dumbbell thrusters or push presses, sit ups and push ups. Do that 4 or 5 times for time and you'll have a great workout.