CrossFit Discussion Board  

Go Back   CrossFit Discussion Board > CrossFit Forum > Starting
CrossFit Home Forum Site Rules CrossFit FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Starting For newcomers to the CrossFit methodology

Old 05-06-2009, 09:02 AM   #1
Mike Kerce

Profile:
Need opinions on joining an affiliate...

what is your opinion on how much more beneficial joining an affiliate is as opposed to training on your own (specifically at a globo?) i'm starting to see the downside of training at a gym that doesn't fully meet my CF needs and also of only "self" motivating and not having coaching on lifts, etc. my concerns about joining an affiliate are two things: cost and fitness level. i know that the word is that affiliates are for all fitness levels, but being someone on a very low tier of fitness, i'm worried that i'm not ready for the intensity, just being honest. the cost part is more about value for me...it's alot - so i need to know it's fully worth it, because right now i'm working out at a work gym that is free. i suppose what i'm really asking is a: will joining an affiliate be significantly more beneficial than training on my own, as a person at a low level of fitness? this may be a ridiculous question but i'm really just trying to gather as much information as possible before making a decsion. big thanks to anyone who can help.
Old 05-06-2009, 09:19 AM   #2
Katherine Derbyshire

Profile:
Re: Need opinions on joining an affiliate...

I would say that "as a person with a lower level of fitness," joining an affiliate will be *more* beneficial to you than to someone with a more solid base. You get good coaching on the fundamentals, a blocked-out time in your schedule, and people to cheer you on and hold you accountable.

Katherine
Old 05-06-2009, 09:19 AM   #3
Departed

Profile:  

As a person with a low level of fitness it will be more beneficial to you. The fitter you get the harder you have to work to get fitter. Make sense? As a person with a low fitness level you will make huge gains for awhile. You don't have to have a 3 minute Fran or a 2X BW DL to be able to join an affiliate. The trainer will see your weaknesses and work with you on them. I can't speak for all affiliates but the one I used to be a member of ran Beginner and Advanced classes. Some affiliates do boot camp style things. The beauty of CrossFit is, say it with me, UNIVERSAL SCALABILITY. ANY WOD can be scaled to meet your fitness level. It is well worth the money. The gains you'll see if you hit the WODs with intensity, eat right, and get good rest will be astronomical. Good luck!!
Old 05-06-2009, 09:22 AM   #4
Departed

Profile:  

Quote:
Originally Posted by Katherine Derbyshire View Post
I would say that "as a person with a lower level of fitness," joining an affiliate will be *more* beneficial to you than to someone with a more solid base. You get good coaching on the fundamentals, a blocked-out time in your schedule, and people to cheer you on and hold you accountable.

Katherine
Oh sure. I get all excited about being the first to reply and while I'm hunting and pecking over here you come flying in with your fancy typing skills and steal my thunder.
Old 05-06-2009, 09:24 AM   #5
Amy Tompkins

Profile:

My experience with working out at an affiliate was beyond all possible expectations.

You can definately benefit from training with an affiliate if you are new and still at a low level of fitness. The trainers will scale to your fitness level, but will also push the limits of what they know you can achieve. They will also stop you from making mistakes and causing injury to yourself.

I found the weight lifting instruction alone worth the cost of membership. With a qualified coach standing over your shoulder you can add more weight to your lifts and know that there's a professional there to pull it off you if you fail or tell you if you are rounding your back.

For the metcons and endurance workouts your coaches will yell at you to hurry and cheer you on all at the same time, along with other people from your group. You'll make friends, you'll engage in friendly competition, and you'll get big ego-boosts when ten people that are fitter than you tell you how impressed they are by your efforts.

Also, I love your sig.
Old 05-06-2009, 09:29 AM   #6
Mike Kerce

Profile:

this is all great info...i appreciate it. i've been CFing for just under 2 months now so i'm definitely still new at it. my gains have been pretty good on my own - but i'm really starting to doubt they'll go much higher without coaching, extra motivation and proper equipment. so it sounds like i have my answer! thanks as well to all for being kind - i'm sure these kinds of questions get really old quick.
Old 05-06-2009, 09:41 AM   #7
Robert Newman

Profile:

If you can afford it, it's probably worth it. If you've only been doing CF for 2 months, you more than likely need help with skill development. The less skilled you are, the more you'll get out of it, i think. I'm somewhat reluctant to join because I enjoy doing my own programming for my needs (more strength base), and I've had a very disappointing experience with the affiliate I joined for a month. Go in, talk to the trainers, see if they have a free Saturday class or a 1 week trial rate or something like that. If they take a general interest in working with you because you're a beginner they're probably good.

"UNFORGING ELITE FATNESS" - brilliant
Old 05-06-2009, 09:55 AM   #8
Ken DaSilva

Profile:

Two words:

Join.
Old 05-06-2009, 10:01 AM   #9
Frank Dennis

Profile:

What everyone else said: if you can join an affiliate, join. It is hugely, hugely beneficial. I also started basically at zero, and I don't think I'd have made half the progress I have without fantastic coaching and awesome peeps to train with.
Old 05-06-2009, 10:11 AM   #10
Ken DaSilva

Profile:

Seriously, though... I know that some affiliates "look" like they are only for the hardcore. You know the ones: Logo of a overly muscular bear gnashing it's teeth and breaking an oly bar in half. Every picture on the site is of a shirtless fire-breather. Etc. (Sorry to any affiliate that resemble these remarks - not saying it's bad, just saying that it can be intimidating to some beginners.)

I put off CF for some time because I really thought it was going to be filled with uber-athletes. At that time, being in the worst shape of my life, I figured I'd simply embarrass myself. That was not the case. For me joining an affiliate was (and is) the best thing I could have done for myself.

The community part is hard to visualize when you are on the outside looking in. But once in, the community, camaraderie, and simply the presence of having someone else suffering along side of you (not to mention someone looking over you) are all motivators.