CrossFit Discussion Board  

Go Back   CrossFit Discussion Board > CrossFit Forum > Starting
CrossFit Home Forum Site Rules CrossFit FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Starting For newcomers to the CrossFit methodology

Old 05-06-2009, 10:32 AM   #11
Mike Miner

Profile:
Re: Need opinions on joining an affiliate...

I had the same hesitancy as you man, and the cost was a big factor for me. i sucked it up and all i can say is you gotta Join one man. The workouts are better and more intense and you have a group of people to feed off of for energy its well worth it my man. try a couple classes and if it doesnt work thean youve lost nothing
Old 05-06-2009, 10:49 AM   #12
Mike Kerce

Profile:

thanks again to everyone! you all have got me pretty pumped up about trying it out now. i've loved doing CF on my own but now i'm realizing that it may have been for all the wrong reasons and I need to take it to the next (which is really the first) level and learn the proper techniques and how to push myself to the limits without getting injured. thanks to all!
Old 05-06-2009, 11:23 AM   #13
Stu Christensen

Profile:

Bottom line for me, is that I can not afford to join an affiliate. Period. I would love to be at a CF box, but I simply can not afford to go from $20 a month at my present gym to $125 a month at the local box.

This stuff is too expensive, IMO.
Old 05-06-2009, 11:33 AM   #14
Bryan Kemper

Profile:

Think of the added cost as working out with a group trainer. You will get good feedback on your form, tips to do things better/easier (kipping, etc). You will also create an awesome support structure to help get through the really tough WODs. There is really nothing like having the rest of the group cheer you through the last few reps of an intense WOD. I don't really see that happening at a globo gym.

Bryan
Old 05-06-2009, 03:49 PM   #15
Jason Peacock

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stu Christensen View Post
This stuff is too expensive, IMO.
This is one of the biggest sticking points when talking about Crossfit to my friends, and ends up being my biggest rant. My box is $160/mo for unlimited classes, I go 4-5x per week which is $10/class.

For $10/class you get small-group instruction from experienced and motivated coaches in an encouraging and enabling environment (all the needed equipment is there).

How much cheaper does it need to be???
Old 05-06-2009, 04:34 PM   #16
Brett Dartt

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jason Peacock View Post
This is one of the biggest sticking points when talking about Crossfit to my friends, and ends up being my biggest rant. My box is $160/mo for unlimited classes, I go 4-5x per week which is $10/class.

For $10/class you get small-group instruction from experienced and motivated coaches in an encouraging and enabling environment (all the needed equipment is there).

How much cheaper does it need to be???
jesus.. which box are you at? im glad im in tacoma

to OP i absolutely love my affiliate. i cant even explain how much i love being there and i think i will always try and come up with the money i pay. its totally worth it
Old 05-06-2009, 05:21 PM   #17
Eric Montgomery

Profile:

My response whenever someone brings up cost is to ask them how many people they know who pay $30 a month for Gold's/24 Hour/Bally's yet never see any results. I've never seen anyone go to a CF affiliate 3 times a week for a few months without seeing amazing progress. At a CF affiliate you're paying for quality coaching and the benefits of the community. $150 a month for great results and community >>> $30 a month for minimal results. It's all about priorities--if being healthy matters to you, you can find the time and money to work out and eat right. I could free up $130 a month just by cutting off my cable and internet. $100 used to be a standard weekend's worth of bar tabs for me. My priorities obviously changed.

Granted, you can obviously do CF at a Gold's or in your garage, but a beginner should at least consider a month or two at an affiliate to help get technique down solid, and intermediate-level CFers can push their performance to new levels with additional coaching.
Old 05-06-2009, 06:06 PM   #18
Chris Sanders

Profile:

I've been to Golds and other "Normal" gyms. I stumbled upon my affiliate by total accident. Let me tell you, it is worth every ounce of sweat, blood and tears. AND worth every penny I pay!!!!!!!!!!!!! I went from being 315lbs to 270 in 2 months. I don't think being at a big box gym would have done that for me. You are paying for a personal trainer, a workout partner and a lifestyle. How much is it worth to you to get in the best shape of your life and be a part of something cutting edge????? Join man, it'll be the best thing you ever do!
Chris S.
CrossFit Waco
Old 05-06-2009, 06:52 PM   #19
John Velandra

Profile:

Mike, it's been awhile since I've posted anything on the boards for quite some time due to being extremely swamped, but when I saw where you are at, I had to.

TJ, who owns CrossFit East (WFS: CrossFit East) is one of the great coaches that I met at my L1 three years ago in Boston. Amazing guy that I have kept in touch with through these years and can only say his affiliate is top notch. You would be hard pressed NOT to find value from them.

While it'll be a challenge, IT IS SCALABLE and worth every penny you INVEST in yourself with them (I'm sure any of them, but I can only vouch for TJ). Give it a try!
Old 05-07-2009, 07:16 AM   #20
Beau Blinder

Profile:

Join an affiliate. The support, camaraderie, and the “we’re all in this together” mentality produces better results, faster. You build friendships through suffering and, when you’re having an off day, there’s always someone there to get you to put out.