CrossFit Discussion Board  

Go Back   CrossFit Discussion Board > CrossFit Forum > Nutrition
CrossFit Home Forum Site Rules CrossFit FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Nutrition Diet, supplements, weightloss, health & longevity

Old 08-22-2013, 11:23 AM   #1
Jose Soriano

Profile:
Food/recipe and general fat loss help

Hey folks!

So, I'm crossfitting about 4 times a week, but am modifying to 3 times a week with 2-3 martial arts classes a week. I have been increasing my numbers pretty dramatically from when I started. These are from what Ive PR'd during normal WODs at the gym, so I don't know what my 1RM are, just my high end working weight, but I'd imagine it's pretty close to the below.

Deadlifts: 245
Front squat: about 185
Back squat: about 225
Snatch: about 125
Bench: not sure
Clean: about 145

I have some technique stuff I have to work on with pulling from the ground hurting my snatch and clean numbers a bit, and haven't benched in a while, so I'm not too sure about my upper body strength at the moment, but I can do about 5 handstand pushups with an ab mat, so I'm not completely weak.

What I don't have is endurance, so conditioning WODs are usually incomplete for me.

I've also seen noticeable muscle growth.

What I haven't seen is lower body fat %. I got calipers, and for the past 6 months or so, I seem to have remained at 22% body fat. I still have a stomach despite getting much stronger, growing muscle, and last I checked, I'd lost about 20lbs from 190 to about 170 in the past year (I'm 5'8, btw), and it's really starting to bother me.

I've been intermittent fasting, usually only having about 1-2 meals a day, and 1-2 protein shakes a day, totaling about 1700 calories a day. I'm also taking 1 VPX meltdown a day, and some fish oil (flameout) and training fasted, but the % doesn't seem to move.

I read that some nutrition and exercise programs are expecting .3-.4% body fat reduction weekly.

I figure a part of it is my poor endurance requiring more cardio, so I've started my martial arts back up, and am considering a weekly CF endurance session.

But I know my nutrition is poor, so I figured I'd lay out my life story and see if anyone has any suggestions for recipe collections, portions, cookbooks, premade meals, etc, that might help me improve my dietary habits with my goal of fat loss/recomposition?

Also, any other advice. Am I expecting too much? Too little? Going about it the wrong way? Not enough/too many calories given my activity level?

Thanks in advance.
Old 08-22-2013, 11:49 AM   #2
Darryl Shaw

Profile:
Re: Food/recipe and general fat loss help

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jose Soriano View Post
But I know my nutrition is poor, so I figured I'd lay out my life story and see if anyone has any suggestions for recipe collections, portions, cookbooks, premade meals, etc, that might help me improve my dietary habits with my goal of fat loss/recomposition?
Eat less, exercise more.

AIS Sports Nutrition Factsheet: Weight loss.

A Common Sense Approach To Sound Nutrition by Jeff Novick, MS RD.*

Maximizing Weight Loss: How To Fine Tune Calorie Density by Jeff Novick, MS RD.

Mediterranean Diet: User-Friendly Guide.

Mediterrasian.com

* Note: If you want to calculate the calorie density of meat or anything else not included in Jeff Novicks calorie density scale look it up in the USDA National Nutrient Database for Standard Reference then enter 4.54 in the box labelled value per 100g to calculate calories per pound.

Quote:
Also, any other advice.
Read these; they explain just about everything you need to know about sports nutrition.

Position of the American Dietetic Association, Dietitians of Canada, and the American College of Sports Medicine: Nutrition and Athletic Performance.

IOC Consensus Statement on Sports Nutrition 2010.

IOC Sportsoracle.com - Nutrition for Athletes.

IAAF - Nutrition for Athletics.

British Dietetic Association Food Fact Sheet: Sport.

Irish Nutrition and Dietetic Institute Factsheet: Food For Sport.

Report of a Joint FAO/WHO Expert Consultation: Carbohydrates in Human Nutrition - The Role of Carbohydrates in Exercise and Physical Performance.

*All links wfs*
Old 08-22-2013, 12:56 PM   #3
Phil Washlow

Profile:

We need more details than number of meals and approximate calories. What hours are you fasting for IF? What is your macro nutrient breakdown carbs/protein/fat? Are the shakes just post workout?

I don't understand how you can lose weight while gaining strength and not have a decrease in bf%.... please explain if possible.
Old 08-22-2013, 04:59 PM   #4
Todd Neal

Profile:

Jose, it seriously sounds like you're my doppelganger. I've got almost the same numbers across the board, and I too was having trouble losing body fat. A little over a week ago, someone introduced me to Peter Attia's website:
www.EatingAcademy.com (wfs)

So I've been eating a very low carb (keto) diet for the past week and a half and I've finally seen the scale drop (4 lbs, btw). I'm noticeably leaner. Whether or not I'll reach my goal bf%, I don't know yet, but it's been the only thing that I've done that has made me look better (aside from the bout of typhus I had last year when I didn't eat anything for 10 days). And it's a much easier plan to follow (in my opinion) than trying to eat less, or going paleo or zone.

Full disclosure, my performance has dropped a little. I've been experimenting with ways to get it back to where it was, but it's also my understanding that it takes about 3 weeks of being ketotic to get your workout energy back. I've yet to see if that's the case, but it does seem to be coming back slowly.
Old 08-22-2013, 05:01 PM   #5
Jose Soriano

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Phil Washlow View Post
We need more details than number of meals and approximate calories. What hours are you fasting for IF? What is your macro nutrient breakdown carbs/protein/fat? Are the shakes just post workout?

I don't understand how you can lose weight while gaining strength and not have a decrease in bf%.... please explain if possible.
That's what I'm trying to figure out too, and possibly fix. What I mean is I've been using calipers every 2 weeks or so and it keeps coming up 22%. In the mirror, I've noticeably gained muscle on my arms, legs, traps and a little on my lats, and my face is leaner, but my gut remains the same, which is where the calipers measure. I know it's the hardest/last place to lose and all, but by now it should have taken some kind of hit.

I fast from 2am to about 8pm, I workout 6-7 just before making dinner. Workout days I have a Nitrean+ and results shake during the workout, and an Opticen+ shake post. Non-workout days, I only have the Nitrean. If I go more than a day without a workout I don't drink any shake. About 3 times a week I add some Greens+ berry flavor to the shakes.

A sample meal is a 6-8 ounce filet (teaspoon of olive oil, teaspoon of ghee, liberal pepper and garlic powder, two twists of sea salt grinder), with about the same amount side of mashed potatoes (potato, milk), and some kind of greens or salad. I'm not sure what the macros worked out to, but when I was tracking every calorie I was actually coming in way way low at about 1200 by the end of the day, so I tried adding here and there to get to about 1700 and then just stopped tracking, while keeping similar ratios.

Darryl - I actually just saw the calorie density thing like a day or two ago, which is why all this has been pin-balling around in my head.

That's why I'm trying to start fresh, and partly why I didn't mention my current diet as is (since I know it's broken), as I'm looking for a fresh start with some healthy meals that are CF and IF compatible.

CF because I love it and I'm getting stronger, faster and in better health and IF because it works really well with my schedule/time management among other things (health benefits, etc.).

I'm looking over the promoting healthy diet book, and the MediterrAsian site, which looks very promising. I just made a Chicken Tagine a couple of days ago which came out surprisingly good considering I was winging it. I really like Mediterranean and Asian food so this should be fun.

edit: I forgot to mention, the 2 meal days are usually Saturday and Sunday, and usually feature a lunch and dinner of approximately the same composition. At least one of those two days is a workout day, with both being workout days happening maybe 60% of the time.

Last edited by Jose Soriano : 08-22-2013 at 05:10 PM.
Old 08-22-2013, 05:07 PM   #6
Jose Soriano

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Todd Neal View Post
Jose, it seriously sounds like you're my doppelganger. I've got almost the same numbers across the board, and I too was having trouble losing body fat. A little over a week ago, someone introduced me to Peter Attia's website:
www.EatingAcademy.com (wfs)

So I've been eating a very low carb (keto) diet for the past week and a half and I've finally seen the scale drop (4 lbs, btw). I'm noticeably leaner. Whether or not I'll reach my goal bf%, I don't know yet, but it's been the only thing that I've done that has made me look better (aside from the bout of typhus I had last year when I didn't eat anything for 10 days). And it's a much easier plan to follow (in my opinion) than trying to eat less, or going paleo or zone.

Full disclosure, my performance has dropped a little. I've been experimenting with ways to get it back to where it was, but it's also my understanding that it takes about 3 weeks of being ketotic to get your workout energy back. I've yet to see if that's the case, but it does seem to be coming back slowly.
Awesome, thanks man. Glad to know you found something that worked for you.

I'll be honest, paleo bothers me on multiple levels, and while I can appreciate that it's worked for a number of people, it's always seemed, in my admittedly uneducated opinion, to be for reasons other than the diet itself, i.e. just learning to measure what you eat.

I was also looking into zone yesterday, but something I read on here turned me off although I can't for the life of me remember what it was. The conclusion I came to, tho, was that everyone is different, and fad diets are fad diets not long term plans, and I'd rather start from the ground up.

Anyway, I'm ok with taking a temporary hit to performance if its working. There's always a curve.
Old 08-22-2013, 07:05 PM   #7
Andrew N. Casey

Profile:

maybe you should stop worrying about losing weight since you are already underweight, and you should stop worrying about losing body fat. what you should be worried about is that you are not eating enough for a small female, you admit you have no endurance, and you are extremely weak. i would recommend that you forget about the weight on the scale and the bodyfat, get really strong, get in really good shape, and start eating like the beast you want to be. when all your strength numbers are doubled and your conditioning is top notch i am willing to bet you will be happy with the way you look.
Old 08-22-2013, 07:29 PM   #8
Michael Pollak

Profile:

You seriously need to eat more!!!

Just eat clean and natural whole real foods... Lots of lean protein, veggies,good fats , starchy veg and try to stay away from processed stuff like bread... You'll be hard pressed to get " fat" eating 5 meals a day like that

Your performance in endurance is telling you something.... If you feel that you haven't lost body fat, that's telling you something also.... If you are in starvation mode, your body is flooded with stress hormones and you will sacrifice muscle instead of shredding fat ( I bet your sleep hasn't been all that great? ). Go long enough and it spells Adrenal Fatigue = crash and burn hard.

Try eating much more for a month and see how it works for you
Old 08-22-2013, 07:42 PM   #9
Jose Soriano

Profile:

Well, I'll try it, but like I said, I've been feeling better, and actually sleeping better lately. My numbers aren't the highest ever obviously, but considering when I started I was having difficulty with the bar, the improvement's gotta count for something.

But if I have to eat more, then I'll try it.
Old 08-22-2013, 11:26 PM   #10
Michael Pollak

Profile:

We all go through peaks and valleys.... Most important thing is to find what works best for you...

The most important thing is your overall fitness and health... The numbers are meaningless, unless you are feeling great. Properly fueling yourself goes a long way

I look at it as " am what I'm putting ( or not putting) in my body making me more or less healthy???"