CrossFit Discussion Board  

Go Back   CrossFit Discussion Board > CrossFit Forum > Nutrition
CrossFit Home Forum Site Rules CrossFit FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Nutrition Diet, supplements, weightloss, health & longevity

Old 07-18-2013, 12:04 AM   #1
Dylan Forbes

Profile:
Carbs for breakfast

What do you guys have by way of carbs for breakfast?

The protein and fat columns are pretty easy for me to fill at breakfast time with eggs and the like, but I'm lost on carbs.

I want to avoid oats, purely because I include plenty of them in my snacks already (powered oat and protein powder shakes).

I dont follow paleo per se, but i do want it to be clean. I eat rice at dinner time but dont think I'd like it at breakfast time. I'll stay away from cereals due to the sugar content. Most veges have stuff all.

So options I think are
Fruit
Homemade sweet-potato hashbrowns
Others?
Old 07-18-2013, 12:10 AM   #2
Dare Vodusek

Profile:
Re: Carbs for breakfast

I believe fruit is a bad idea for breakfast.

if yer following paleo then why oats as snacks? oats have no place in paleo diet

you could try making some potato or beet chips, but thats really more of a snack idea. what I used to make, when I was still having breakfast, was to roast some veggies and then scramble them with eggs, something like mushrooms or leek works fine with eggs. Or just directly roast onions, they are high in carbs
Old 07-18-2013, 03:54 AM   #3
jeramy park

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dylan Forbes View Post

The protein and fat columns are pretty easy for me to fill at breakfast time with eggs and the like, but I'm lost on carbs.

I want to avoid oats, purely because I include plenty of them in my snacks already (powered oat and protein powder shakes).

I dont follow paleo per se, but i do want it to be clean. I eat rice at dinner time but dont think I'd like it at breakfast time. I'll stay away from cereals due to the sugar content. Most veges have stuff all.

So options I think are
Fruit
Others?
You want to eat clean but you take protein shakes? What is your definition of clean eating? How about some beans and rice for breakfast or even porridge? Fruit sounds good too or just chocolate.
Old 07-18-2013, 07:05 AM   #4
Todd R Bailey

Profile:

Quote:
I eat rice at dinner time but dont think I'd like it at breakfast time. I'll stay away from cereals due to the sugar content.
Fruits and tubers are going to be your best bets. But if you eat rice and are just looking for carbs, not all cereals have sugar and artificial ingredients. Look for "puffed rice" (not rice krispies) with rice as the only ingredient. No sugar, sodium, additives etc. It's pretty much bereft of micronutrients, but if you are just looking for a dose of carbs in the morning, it fits the bill.

Example: http://www.arrowheadmills.com/produc...ed-rice-cereal (wfs)
Old 07-18-2013, 07:13 AM   #5
Vincent Miceli

Profile:

Quote:

So options I think are
Fruit
Others?
I use two pieces of ezekiel toast dry with my morning meal. with 14g carbs and 7g protein per slice it does the job for me. A little pricey, but worth it in my opinion.
Old 07-18-2013, 07:18 AM   #6
Mark E. Wallace

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dare Vodusek View Post
I believe fruit is a bad idea for breakfast.
Why?

Quote:
if yer following paleo then why oats as snacks? oats have no place in paleo diet
He said he *wasn't* following paleo.

Dylan --- I get mine from fruits & veggies. Anything that I might take in as a carb during lunch or dinner is still fair game at breakfast; e.g. potatoes, fruits & veggies of any sort, rice or bread occasionally (but not often).

Don't limit your breakfast thoughts to just "things that we usually eat for breakfast." If it's a carb that you would consider eating for lunch or dinner, it should be an option for breakfast as well. My breakfasts quite often could be mistaken for a dinner plate.

- Mark
Old 07-18-2013, 12:23 PM   #7
Darryl Shaw

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dare Vodusek View Post
Or just directly roast onions, they are high in carbs
Are you sure about that? (wfs)
Old 07-18-2013, 12:54 PM   #8
Michael Pollak

Profile:

I usually bake 5-7 sweet potatoes at a time... (350 for 90 min and they get very rich and carmelly). They can be heated up or I love them cold.... Great for post workout snack and with breakfast....

Winter squash varieties done the same way are awesome too.. Great If you add cinnamon, allspice and a bit of coconut milk ( fake pumpkin pie). Top with some toasted almond and have along side protein and veg gets me going in the right direction ( I love left over green curry on top of that for breakfast)
Old 07-18-2013, 01:24 PM   #9
Dare Vodusek

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Darryl Shaw View Post
Compare to "other" vegetables, its quite high:

http://www.buzzle.com/articles/high-...egetables.html WFS
Old 07-18-2013, 01:29 PM   #10
Dare Vodusek

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mark E. Wallace View Post
Why?

- Mark
Something to do with fruit being simple carbs, sugar mostly, which enters blood fast and ships into fat, because, most likely, glicogen stores are full from last night meal and all we did was sleep before eating fruit.

Fruit is better right before, during or after a workout, if yer looking for a quick energy rush.

Sorry about misunderstood about paleo.