CrossFit Discussion Board  

Go Back   CrossFit Discussion Board > Community > Running a CrossFit Facility
CrossFit Home Forum Site Rules CrossFit FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Running a CrossFit Facility Tips and guidance on how to open and operate a CrossFit gym.

Old 07-18-2012, 10:36 AM   #1
Ruben Nunez

Profile:
To post or not to post (the daily WOD)

What are the pros and cons to posting your boxes' daily WOD on your website?

What about posting more than a day in advance?

Do you guys find that by doing that, your box members will be more OR less likely to attend certain days?
Old 07-18-2012, 11:23 AM   #2
Brian Strump

Profile:
Re: To post or not to post (the daily WOD)

We posted the morning of, usually just after our 6a class for our first year. Since then, we've decided to post the night before. To not post since some members won't come, IMO is dumb; and not the reason you opened an affiliate in the first place. If those people don't come, fine.

We decided to post by 9p the night before, allowing members to prepare however they need. Hopefully by looking up videos of the movements that they do not know how to do. We find that this saves some time prior to each class, it will surprise you how many people come more prepared to class.

In some cases however, when at WOD requires 2 barbells/person(hardly happens, but did 2 weeks ago). I posted the WOD to be the "burpee mile" in attempt to keep some from attending the classes so we'd have no problems with not enough barbells.....It worked.
Old 07-18-2012, 02:46 PM   #3
David Wisniewski

Profile:  

I've seen it done both ways. My box posts the night before. Some boxes don't post (the theory being, I guess, is that they want to "surprise" people and make sure that they show up. However, as we are all adults, I'm generally not in favor of being treated like a child.)
Old 07-18-2012, 03:24 PM   #4
Jason Peacock

Profile:

IMO, you should post the WODs online the day after. It's nice having a record of what you did available online (besides your logbook) and makes it easier to share with people.

Also, lots of ppl look at your WODs online to see if they want to stop by when visiting or changing gyms - you can get a feel for what a gym's focus is by looking through their WODs.

I don't like the idea of posting WODs before the workout. Too many people cherry pick, and when you're cherry picking you're not working your weaknesses. The whole point of CF is to be well rounded and prepared for the unexpected. You'll quickly find that some people never show up for the longer workouts, or FGB, or strength days, etc.

If they're going to act like kids and be picky about their workouts, then they should be treated like kids and not told what the workouts are. They're there to get fit or they're not.

What's the advantage of posting a WOD early? You should be teaching the movements anyway, so members don't need to watch videos. There's movements they can't do due to flexibility/injury? Then scale it/provide alternatives, that's easy to do on the fly.

You're either going to workout today today or not, it shouldn't hinge upon what the actual workout is.
Old 07-18-2012, 03:45 PM   #5
Brendan McNamar

Profile:

We post at 0:00 each morning. Of course we use a primary/secondary system so cherry picking is limited.

Your members are going to text each other anyways so the ones who are not close friends with other people get left out. When it is posted online everyone has access to the same information. I don't want anyone feeling left out.
Old 07-18-2012, 06:57 PM   #6
Brian Strump

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jason Peacock View Post

What's the advantage of posting a WOD early? You should be teaching the movements anyway, so members don't need to watch videos. There's movements they can't do due to flexibility/injury? Then scale it/provide alternatives, that's easy to do on the fly.
I don't run a babysitting ring, therefore, we'll treat the members like adults. We've got 150+ people to be concerned about. If some want to cherry pick, so be it. It's there loss, again, these are adults. If they don't follow the nutrition we discuss, I don't yell at them....It's their life! They are, again, adults.

Jason, I don't know if you train at an affiliate, but if you do, you should be well aware that there will always be people that are unfamiliar with some movements. The purpose of the videos(sometimes we'll put them in our WOD post) is to help those that are unsure. Regardless of how well trained YOU are, to others, this is afterall, just a means to an end with exercise. We will give instructions prior to the WOD, but the videos prior are helpful.

Olympic lifters watch videos of the only 2 movements they perform on a daily basis....They know the movements, but the videos are helpful to even the tops in the world.
Old 07-18-2012, 07:36 PM   #7
Jason Peacock

Profile:

I do train at an affiliate (but not a trainer myself). When the class size drops from an average of 20 to only 5 people because a hard WOD is scheduled and posted, then you start either not programming hard WODs or stop posting them

Our trainers do cover all the movements needed for the WOD at all skill levels at every class. There's no guarantee that anyone will have watched the videos, nor that they have done the movement before - new people are joining all the time. I agree that videos are useful, and we'll even review some in class if there's something specific they want to show us.

As you said, it's just a means to an end and I know many of the people at my gym want to get fit, but they aren't interested or don't have the time to nerd out watching videos - that's why we're paying the trainers to watch them for us
Old 07-18-2012, 09:34 PM   #8
Mauricio Leal

Profile:

I post the WODs on a google spreadsheet for all to see 1-2 weeks in advance. Haven't had any problems with it so far. It allows members to plan their outfits, shoes, tape, hair, socks, color coordination, etc. I think it's awesome that some members will actually research wods, watch videos, get excited. I wouldn't deny those ones that just because a few might get skittish. Program for your most valued members: the ones who care deeply about getting better.

If I notice major "attendance issues" at some point -- which I doubt -- I'd just try randomly switching the weeks WODs without notice on occasion. 3-2-1 Fran!
Old 07-18-2012, 11:10 PM   #9
Ewen Roth

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mauricio Leal View Post
I post the WODs on a google spreadsheet for all to see 1-2 weeks in advance. Haven't had any problems with it so far. It allows members to plan their outfits, shoes, tape, hair, socks, color coordination, etc. I think it's awesome that some members will actually research wods, watch videos, get excited. I wouldn't deny those ones that just because a few might get skittish. Program for your most valued members: the ones who care deeply about getting better.

If I notice major "attendance issues" at some point -- which I doubt -- I'd just try randomly switching the weeks WODs without notice on occasion. 3-2-1 Fran!
I'd like to point out that this is ideal for those who like to plan their training as well. Especially people who have specific goals and want to fit their own workouts around your box's programming rather than workout on their own all of the time.
Old 07-19-2012, 06:16 AM   #10
Jeffrey Crawford

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ewen Roth View Post
I'd like to point out that this is ideal for those who like to plan their training as well. Especially people who have specific goals and want to fit their own workouts around your box's programming rather than workout on their own all of the time.

Ding Ding Ding

Some off us are doing specific programming where cherry picking is needed. Post the night before, or in advance so members can plan.