CrossFit Discussion Board  

Go Back   CrossFit Discussion Board > CrossFit Forum > Fitness
CrossFit Home Forum Site Rules CrossFit FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Fitness Theory and Practice. CrossFit's rationale & foundations. Who is fit? What is fitness?

Old 07-17-2012, 06:50 PM   #1
Matt Thomas

Profile:
Belt placement?

So I've always read that belts should be worn generally around the middle of your stomach to "connect" the ribcage and hips. That's how I've always done it and it seems to work very well for squats. Lately, however, I've been watching a lot of O Lift videos and they seem to wear their belts quite a bit lower toward the pelvis. Is this just a difference between wearing it for power lifting and weightlifting? If so what is the reason behind the lower placement?
Old 07-18-2012, 12:53 AM   #2
Aushion Chatman

Profile:
Re: Belt placement?

I don't know the difference, but wearing it too low impedes the depth I can comfortably squat.
Old 07-18-2012, 05:40 AM   #3
James Hanley

Profile:

What belts have you seen people wear weightlifting? Like Crossfitters or weightlifters?

Most weightlifters still seem to wear the thin in the front, thick in the back belts that functionally do nothing at all really...
Old 07-18-2012, 06:20 AM   #4
Dana Rice

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by James Hanley View Post
What belts have you seen people wear weightlifting? Like Crossfitters or weightlifters?

Most weightlifters still seem to wear the thin in the front, thick in the back belts that functionally do nothing at all really...
Nope - those thin in front belts give your lower back and erectors a surface to push against, while allowing you to bend and get into the starting position comfortably.

However, most weightlifters I've seen these days wear the nylon/velcro Valeo/Harbinger style weight belt, it essentially does the same thing, but also gives you a surface in the front. You will see alot of guys deadlift with this style belt as well for the same reason.
Old 07-18-2012, 12:47 PM   #5
Preston Sprimont

Profile:

Quote:

I don't know if this is what Matt is referring to, but I have noticed that both Jon North and Kevin Cornell (weightlifters with MDUSA) wear weightlifting belts pretty low.
Old 07-19-2012, 08:40 AM   #6
Matt Thomas

Profile:

John North is one of the examples I was referring to, yes.
Old 07-23-2012, 05:04 PM   #7
James Hanley

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dana Rice View Post
Nope - those thin in front belts give your lower back and erectors a surface to push against, while allowing you to bend and get into the starting position comfortably.

However, most weightlifters I've seen these days wear the nylon/velcro Valeo/Harbinger style weight belt, it essentially does the same thing, but also gives you a surface in the front. You will see alot of guys deadlift with this style belt as well for the same reason.
How can your erectors "push against" something without something for your abs to push against too?

You should need a belt thin in the front to be able to get into position either.

Those thin in the front, fat in the back belts do nothing but give you a sense of false security.
Old 07-24-2012, 12:06 AM   #8
Bill M. Hesse

Profile:

Quote:
How can your erectors "push against" something without something for your abs to push against too?

You should need a belt thin in the front to be able to get into position either.

Those thin in the front, fat in the back belts do nothing but give you a sense of false security.
I disagree. I use one and notice a remarkable difference in my ability than without. Once I get to 80% or above it becomes clear if I am wearing a belt or not. I am sure a belt that is 4" in front makes even more of a difference but to say that a belt thin in the front does nothing is simply not correct.
Old 07-24-2012, 12:40 AM   #9
Ewen Roth

Profile:

Might those people be wearing their belt low in the front and a bit higher in the back? That's what I end up doing on most pulling lifts.

What matters is that it's not so uncomfortable that you can't to the lift properly. This will depend on the lift, the lifter (torso size, bodyfat, ...) and the belt (wide, narrow, thin, thick, soft, stiff).
Old 07-24-2012, 12:41 AM   #10
Ben Norris

Profile:

I have a 4 inch Lever action belt and it is the s**t.

If you are doing powerlifts I would recommond you buy a proper Power belt ASAP.

Dont use them for O"lifting as you will hit the lever with the bar!