CrossFit Discussion Board  

Go Back   CrossFit Discussion Board > CrossFit Forum > Exercises
CrossFit Home Forum Site Rules CrossFit FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Exercises Movements, technique & proper execution

Old 11-15-2010, 03:25 PM   #1
Matthew Reilly

Profile:
Squat Transferability

Does anyone have an opinion regarding high bar/low bar/front squat and their transferability to sport and GPP? Do you feel that one is more applicable to other areas of fitness than the others?
Old 11-15-2010, 04:51 PM   #2
Peter Nelson

Profile:
Re: Squat Transferability

whatever type you can do the heaviest with will potentially build the most muscle which transfers to sprinting top speed and jumping ability. Overhead squats aren't really a leg exercise but I still highly recommend them.
Old 11-15-2010, 05:06 PM   #3
Jon Gregory

Profile:

Front squat is obviously more applicable to Oly lifting than back squats. You can generally lift more in a back squat though so that has tranferrability too. Basically, squats are the best lift you can do for just about any sport.
Old 11-15-2010, 08:56 PM   #4
Chris Mason

Profile:

For sport application I recommend box squats for one primary reason - knee safety. Box squats greatly reduce the stress on the knees but build all of the musculature that a regular squat will build. Athletes don't need to harm their knees in the weight room.
Old 11-15-2010, 09:30 PM   #5
Thomas Green

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chris Mason View Post
For sport application I recommend box squats for one primary reason - knee safety. Box squats greatly reduce the stress on the knees but build all of the musculature that a regular squat will build. Athletes don't need to harm their knees in the weight room.
Besides knee safety, isn't Louie really adamant that the box squat and wide stance low bar squat with a focus on sitting back is far more transferable to GPP than any other style?
Old 11-15-2010, 10:22 PM   #6
Damon Stewart

Profile:

Having done them all I would rank them differently for GPP than for sport. For sport I would say:

Box squatting done properly is # 1 IMHO. Primarily because of the explosive power from the hips it develops and maximal loading it allows.

For GPP as in Crossfit I'd say the front squat transfers best to other movements but since it doesn't allow for maximal loading I mix it up with Olympic squatting. Low bar is a dead end. I don't know why anyone does it other than the fact that Rip is an entertaining writer & speaker. I did it and taught it for a long time before coming to that conclusion.
Old 11-16-2010, 05:15 AM   #7
Jay Rhodes

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Damon Stewart View Post
Having done them all I would rank them differently for GPP than for sport. For sport I would say:

Box squatting done properly is # 1 IMHO. Primarily because of the explosive power from the hips it develops and maximal loading it allows.

For GPP as in Crossfit I'd say the front squat transfers best to other movements but since it doesn't allow for maximal loading I mix it up with Olympic squatting. Low bar is a dead end. I don't know why anyone does it other than the fact that Rip is an entertaining writer & speaker. I did it and taught it for a long time before coming to that conclusion.
Can you elaborate a little bit about the low bar BS?
I'm with you on everything else. But how come low bar is a dead end vs. high bar?
Old 11-16-2010, 05:26 AM   #8
Tamara Cohen

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Damon Stewart View Post
Low bar is a dead end. I don't know why anyone does it other than the fact that Rip is an entertaining writer & speaker. I did it and taught it for a long time before coming to that conclusion.
I'd love to hear more on this. I switched from low bar to high bar when I screwed up my shoulder. Then, I stopped CFing and started O-lifting exclusively, so I've only been doing high bar anyway. I just did Rip's cert this weekend, and that was the first time I'd done low bar in months.

Regardless of the transferability of high bar to Oly lifts, I just need to get an eff ton stronger. Period. So, I need the best way to do that.
Old 11-16-2010, 10:59 AM   #9
Brian Degenaro

Profile:

All of them.

I watch D1 athletes train daily and I see every type of squat used: front, back, box, bottom-up/concentric, speed, low bar, high bar, half, full, jumping, etcetera. It depends on the cycle, the athlete, and the goal at the time. Regardless, the best athletes here are the strongest squatters too. One of my friends throws and he did 675x3 "low bar" the other week, and another runs 10.14 100m and he front squatted (full depth) 484x2 at his strongest. Now he just uses 300-400+ for speed.
Old 11-16-2010, 04:05 PM   #10
Thomas Green

Profile:

I think Dave Tate says it best - "the guy who's kicking your a$$ of the football field is usually the guy who's doing s*** for training"

Some people say the low bar transfers over better. Some say the high bar does. I think the real answer is that we just don't know.

Last edited by Thomas Green : 11-16-2010 at 04:08 PM.