CrossFit Discussion Board  

Go Back   CrossFit Discussion Board > CrossFit Forum > Exercises
CrossFit Home Forum Site Rules CrossFit FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Exercises Movements, technique & proper execution

Old 01-14-2010, 02:24 PM   #1
Brent Ramos

Profile:
Hand stands

Gonna hit the WOD for today in a bit, I'm going to have to sub the 100 ft hand walk with wall runs.

Just for future reference and practice, what's a good way to attain that hand walk? I've only ever done HSPU's, with a wall to lean my feet against.

I supposed I should try and do HSPU's without a wall, but I cannot even think of a way I would go about getting in a hand stand position without a wall, would it be a quick/fluid motion? Or a slow and deliberate one?

My goal is to complete the WOD's rx'ed, regardless of time so that I can build upon that. But it looks as if that won't be possible today

Thanks for any advice given guys.
Old 01-14-2010, 10:43 PM   #2
Andrew Chong

Profile:
Re: Hand stands

there's a video of someone teaching HSPUs on the main site. I can't remember what it's called though. Sorry.

Anyway, what i remember from it is that the person who was demonstrating did the HSPU in one quick motion, like against a wall, but with less power. I'm guessing a slow motion would be fine as well but would be more difficult.
Old 01-15-2010, 06:47 AM   #3
Roger Harrell

Profile:

To get to the handstand you will kick up, which is a dynamic movement. You can press into the handstand but that would deplete strength.

For free standing HSPU...

drillsandskills.com/19

Last edited by Lynne Pitts : 01-15-2010 at 07:30 AM. Reason: unqualified link
Old 01-15-2010, 08:21 AM   #4
Matt Haxmeier

Profile:

Does your head get used to being upside down if you do it more?
Old 01-15-2010, 09:47 AM   #5
Roger Harrell

Profile:

Yeah, you can get completely adapted to being upside down. The head feeling like it's going to explode thing goes away.

As for the article link...
http://www.drillsandskills.com/article/19 WFS

Sorry Lynne :-)
Old 01-15-2010, 09:49 AM   #6
Andrew H. Meador

Profile:

Yes, you get used to it.
Old 01-19-2010, 03:41 AM   #7
Blair Robert Lowe

Profile:

to note, did this workout last night (I had meant to do it on saturday or sunday and didn't get to) and it took 4:45s on the 3rd round. It was pretty ridiculous at that point since each HS walk was about at least 2 steps but no more than 5 aka lots of falling out. The first round was much better as it took about 5 attempts and the 2nd round maybe 7-10. Unfortunately, I didn't time the 1st and 2nd rounds for HS walking though the first round took 8:45, and I started the 3rd at 20m finishing just past 30m@ 30:25. I'm sure if I shaved off some time for resting on the static wall HS or got a few more steps in during HS walks it coulda been faster.

oh, I guess the time would actually be 30:25-6m=24;25. 1st round finishing in 6:45. I had hoped to be 15-20m. Oops, I did 20 box HeSPU instead of 15 HeSPU on the wall. I managed to do 5 the first round on the first round, followed by 2 negatives to my head, followed by 2 singles. I counted the wall HeSPU worth 2 box HeSPU and scaled it to that from there on (except doing 20 instead of 15).

some time later when rested I attempted 100 HS shoulder tappers/HS wall run. Each count was 1 rep per hand. That took 1:01. That 100 was very trying to near failure basically. Near failure as in just a few reps more, maybe. 200 probably coulda been done in under 3m with rest.

I had earlier figured it would be about 2 steps per foot given the size of my step during a HS walk so 200 HS shoulder tappers/HS wall run. If I had subbed that it would have been much faster, I think.

I also had to modify the HeSPU to doing them off the box with piked hips. At best I can do 5 HeSPU so 20 would have been pretty futile.

I did do some some small volume strength work before but nothing too much. Again, starting the 3rd round in a HS was a near disaster as it was up to HS, maybe 2-3 steps and fall down the 40' strip (2 trips and a half=100').

I've never done that much HS walking volume-EVER. Lately I've been including 100' sort of a finisher (20' to L, to R, backwards, 40' forwards).

my wrists were slightly sore after so I did some wrist prehab/rehab, did a pushup fine, assisted dip somewhat ez, dip slow, ring support just ok and ring dip trying and HeSPU on wall very hard. Just a guage.

More strength endurance than anything, well besides technique.

Last edited by Blair Robert Lowe : 01-19-2010 at 03:45 AM.