CrossFit Discussion Board  

Go Back   CrossFit Discussion Board > CrossFit Forum > Fitness
CrossFit Home Forum Site Rules CrossFit FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Fitness Theory and Practice. CrossFit's rationale & foundations. Who is fit? What is fitness?

Old 01-02-2010, 07:47 AM   #1
Leigh Gant

Profile:
Mikko Salo - Sisu

Just watched the documentary on Journal, this guy is a monster.

However it seems he does nothing but eat, workout, work and help his dad.

I know it was only a snapshot of his day-to-day, but is this what the future of CrossFit Games is going to be? He is only a sponsor away from being a professional athlete.

It was an inspirational video and I think he is a perfect representation of CrossFit, but I was hoping to see that even the "fittest man on earth" has rest days, the odd beer, a girlfriend, you know...

I found it awesome seeing Carey Keplar having a beer and a laugh after the Games.
Old 01-02-2010, 01:10 PM   #2
Marcel Zwinger

Profile:
Re: Mikko Salo - Sisu

the truth is, the more dedicated you are, the better you get.

I'm not saying I am, just saying, there are people out there, that might sacrifice more of their life than others and I won't be suprised if they came out on top.
Old 01-02-2010, 07:25 PM   #3
Leigh Gant

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marcel Zwinger View Post
the truth is, the more dedicated you are, the better you get.

I'm not saying I am, just saying, there are people out there, that might sacrifice more of their life than others and I won't be suprised if they came out on top.
Yes, I realise this. However I know professional footballers and swimmers who have more of a life than this. Are the CrossFit games that demanding that you can do nothing but live and breath functional movements at high intensity?

I doubt it. Khalipa, Hackenbruck (spelling?) and Salo probably do have an off time, and that's what I want to see.

You can be dedicated without being a robot
Old 01-02-2010, 07:56 PM   #4
John Otterstedt

Profile:

I watched the video, and I figured that there was probably more to his life than what you saw there. For a while, I was wondering if he had a job. And then when they showed him at the fire house, I was wondering if he was only part-time since so much of the video showed him working out mid-day on weekdays. I figure that he is on a schedule similar to many American firemen (3 full days a week), which is probably why he got everyone in the firehouse into crossfit. They showed the fire house and the work he does with his father to show that there are other things in his life beside CrossFit. I doubt his life only consists of WOD's, as you might have concluded by watching the video.

The one thing that intrigued me was the frequency of his workouts. If I recall, he does 3 separate workouts on some days. Also, when there is a short metcon, he will add an additional metcon (even shorter) to the session. With that knowledge, my dreams of looking like Salo simply by doing the prescribed WOD went out the window, lol.
Old 01-02-2010, 07:56 PM   #5
William Valdez

Profile:

You people forget that he is a full time Fireman!
Old 01-02-2010, 08:50 PM   #6
Leigh Gant

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by William Valdez View Post
You people forget that he is a full time Fireman!
"Full time fire man"

They have a rotating roster and a gym in the fire house. So when he isn't out doing physical work like pulling a truck out of a ditch or diving in the water he can use the gym at work.

Hardly a job to get in the way of training. Moving furniture with his dad can hardly be called "off time". Where is the fun side? Is his only fun working out? Obviously there is more to him than the video, I am just using what's there as fodder for the discussion: is this where the CrossFit games are heading? Are we going to end up with full-time athletes at the games?

Mikko's day, just from the video, appears to be this:

0600: get up, coffee, run or row
0800: eat and go to work
middle of day somewhere: workout and eat (obviously doesn't do this everyday, but for arguments sake)
1700: finish work and go to gym then eat
2100: bed

Everything in his life is geared towards fitness. That is the definition of hardcore.

He is lucky that he has a lifestyle that can let him do this. I run a business that doesn't allow me to sleep from 9 or 10pm till 6am every night, nor does it allow me to have regular times to get to the box. Does that mean I am not dedicated? No, if I were a fireman in a small town in Finland then I would probably have more time to train, etc.

The other side of the coin is OPT and Khalipa. Both run boxes, so they must be up early and finish late-ish. I know that OPT has a family, so factor that in.

I guess you have to make tough sacrifices in order to become a champ.

You are an elite athlete 24/7

Last edited by Leigh Gant : 01-02-2010 at 08:55 PM.
Old 01-02-2010, 09:22 PM   #7
Daniel Wu

Profile:

Getting in a programmed workout at the fire house is a lot tougher than it seems... It's also not possible to go hard, you never know when you're gonna get a call. I'm sure one of the FT Firefighters can chime in on this topic.
Old 01-02-2010, 10:02 PM   #8
Travis Rask

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Daniel Wu View Post
Getting in a programmed workout at the fire house is a lot tougher than it seems... It's also not possible to go hard, you never know when you're gonna get a call. I'm sure one of the FT Firefighters can chime in on this topic.
If you work at a slower station it's very possible to go hard.

The guys at the department adjacent to us were some of the CrossFit pioneers in the fire service. I asked them about full intensity at work, they told me they'd "take an avid CrossFitter 5 minutes after Fran over your average FF any day of the week".

They didn't tell me of any issues with calls and WOD's.
Old 01-02-2010, 10:08 PM   #9
Shane Skowron

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Leigh Gant View Post
but I was hoping to see that even the "fittest man on earth" has rest days, the odd beer, a girlfriend, you know...
His Facebook page says so.

I admire the guy's dedication, a lot.
Old 01-02-2010, 10:29 PM   #10
Leigh Gant

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shane Skowron View Post
His Facebook page says so.

I admire the guy's dedication, a lot.
I admire his dedication too, don't get me wrong.

What I am trying to address is that he is very close to being a full time athlete, and is that where the CrossFit games are heading?