CrossFit Discussion Board  

Go Back   CrossFit Discussion Board > CrossFit Forum > Fitness
CrossFit Home Forum Site Rules CrossFit FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Fitness Theory and Practice. CrossFit's rationale & foundations. Who is fit? What is fitness?

Old 12-21-2009, 04:15 PM   #1
Sean J Hunter

Profile:
Linear Gains Cealing

So just out of interest around when should one see the end of weekly linear gains and having to move to a light periodized program. When does one TEND to stall out?

These are my current stats.
Weight = 164# @ 13%BF

LIFT - 1RM - %
BP - 185 - 113%
SP - 117.5 - 71%
DL - 285 - 174%
FS - 167.5 - 102%
BS - 215 - 132%
PC - 165 - 101%
OHS - 125 - 75%
TOTAL - 769%
CFT - 617.5 - 419%

So this puts me in general at around halfway between Novice and Intermediate on Ripps Scale and specifcally at Intermediate in the SP-FS-PC.

Interestingly enough...
...I stalled for the first time ever on my BP in my last cycle, although I possible attribute that to a particularly heavy upper body cycle and therefore possible over-training.
I gained 20 lbs on my BS in my last lift of my last cycle (although that was just frekish week - I was in the zone). I am always seeing atleast 5 lbs gains every lift so far.
...I'm currently on a down week

I'd appreciate any thoughts, advice, observations on my current stats as well... but mainly just wondering around what range does one tend to stall, I understand that there is alot involved (diet, stress, genetics, sleep) but there must be a range where it tends to happen?

If this keeps up I should be at an all round Intermediate level in around 4+ weeks (1 cycle).

How knew lifting heavy **** could be so much fun.

Cheers

Sean

Last edited by Sean J Hunter : 12-21-2009 at 04:21 PM.
Old 12-21-2009, 05:08 PM   #2
Brian Bedell

Profile:
Re: Linear Gains Cealing

I think Rip would say "read the book." THis is a highly personalized issue and what anyone says here will have little bearing on you. Not to mention this is cf and you are asking a non-cf question, maybe you should ask on ripp's forum? But I will give you a hint that you are confusing the definition of "intermediate." This has to do with your recovery ability, not your lift totals. Also, what program are you on? Weekly? Me too.
Old 12-21-2009, 05:10 PM   #3
Jamie J. Skibicki

Profile:

Brian is correct.

also

"So this puts me in general at around halfway between Novice and Intermediate on Ripps Scale and specifcally at Intermediate in the SP-FS-PC."

Means absolutely nothing
Old 12-21-2009, 05:22 PM   #4
Sean J Hunter

Profile:

Sorry fellas,

I should have been more clear. I am awear that the definiations of Beginner, Intermediate, Advanced are not based on BW% as much as adaptation response.

I guess what I'm after is an "around about". "Around about x? you should start stalling on a linear program".
Perhaps the variance is sooo great that there is no generalization.

Well if that's the case then I have an answer.

Quote:
Not to mention this is cf and you are asking a non-cf question.
Limit strength ability and Limit Strength training programming isn't CF? I may have misunderstood what you mean here?

Quote:
Also, what program are you on? Weekly? Me too.
Again not quite following you. Essentially
I do a 2-1-3-1 on/off days program with a cycle lasting 6 weeks 1 week off.
I pick 5 of the 10 core lifts and perform one each day of the workout week (alternating upper and lower of course)
I generally do 5 x 3 or 5 x 5 building up to a PB each lift always adding 5+ lbs to my PB
Kinda CFSB-esq I guess
I then generally do a short WOD after the lift with some running added in elsewhere. High Volume, but I'm handling it it seems.

Sean

Last edited by Sean J Hunter : 12-21-2009 at 05:30 PM.
Old 12-21-2009, 05:22 PM   #5
James Rios

Profile:

considering your BW and your lifts #s, im pretty sure you arent at your ceiling...
Old 12-21-2009, 05:30 PM   #6
Neil Bauersfeld

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sean J Hunter View Post

Perhaps the variance is sooo great that there is no generalization.

Well if that's the case then I have an answer.

Cheers

Sean
Bingo, you got it. An around about, even if it were known, would be meaningless for your training.

Last edited by Neil Bauersfeld : 12-21-2009 at 05:35 PM. Reason: reading comprehension failure
Old 12-21-2009, 05:42 PM   #7
Jared Ashley

Profile:

Hard to say if there's even a range where one will "tend" to stall. I can give you my limited experience.

The only lifts I've ever truly stalled on are the press and weighted pullups. Bodyweight 135, Press PR is 125, and a 78 lb weighted pullup. I've done a 105x5 for a press, but never got more than 2 reps at 110. Same deal with weighted pullups, I've done 50 lbs for 5, but never more than 2 or 3 with 55.

I've never truly stalled on the squat and deadlift, but I've felt like I've been close. The squat I've done 270 and 235x5, but then I kind of wussed out and never attempted 240x5... same with the dead, I've pulled 315, and twice I've pulled 285x5, but again never attempted 290x5. On both lifts I felt I'd probably get another 5 lbs, maaaaybe 10 lbs, but beyond that didn't seem likely.

On the lifts I did stall, I never reset the way you're supped to either.

Other factors affecting my numbers: from my bodyweight it should be obvious that I'm a bit of a hard-gainer, and my goals aren't in line with putting on a lot of mass, so I never ate to do so. A person with a different body type who eats to gain would get further (probably a lot further)... on the other hand I'm 5'7" and have short legs and arms for my height (my 5'3" wife has the same inseam as me), which gives me an advantage over most.

I do think I can say with authority that you shouldn't be stalling for awhile yet, especially on your FS, BS, and DL... I'd think you should get to BS near 300 and DL around 350-400 before that happens.
Old 12-21-2009, 05:43 PM   #8
Andrew Roden

Profile:

Don't get greedy and neglect smaller linear increments... use doubled up collars for 1lb increments... etc...
Old 12-21-2009, 05:51 PM   #9
Nathan Kulas

Profile:

I find it interesting that two people have been able to qualitatively say "judging by your current weight and scores you should be able to continue linear gains" but that the overall consensus seems that an estimate is not quantifiable.

If it helps at all - here is a link to some strength standards:
http://www.exrx.net/Testing/WeightLi...hStandards.htm (WFS) - this site includes the SP, BP, SQ, DL & CL.

http://www.tmuscle.com/free_online_a...ngth_standards (men in speedos - pseduo WFS) - this has a chart toward the bottom on some strength standards.

In most cases, an intermediate will stop seeing linear gains - which appears to be a "decent" on the second link.

There are a lot of variations though - people have a tendency to have either more slow twitch or more fast twitch muscles. Fast twitch muscles = bigger lifts; slow twitch = better endurance. You can test your tendency (I forget the formulas - search the brianmac website - www.brianmac.co.uk (WFS) ), which will allow you to scale what your personal intermediate is.

I would say that for now though that you can just keep plugging away at the WODs - it has helped me with strength. Also incorporate skill work - getting better form on the lifts will make them easier - especially when you get tired in metcons; but also incorporate hand stand push-ups, hand stands in general and other gymnastic skills which will round you out (especially in the overhead press area).
27/m/68"/185# - 300 BP, 435 DL, 435 BS, 205 Clean, 100# wtd pull-up, 3:23 Fran, 22:50 Angie, 25 Cindy rds, 20:17 5K Row, 7:31 2K Row, 5:43 1 mile run
Old 12-21-2009, 06:47 PM   #10
Brad Davis

Profile:

If you went over to Rip's board, the first thing he'd say is that your linear gains are limited because you're not eating enough as evidenced by you being 168 and knowing your BF% so precisely. Something to think about.