CrossFit Discussion Board  

Go Back   CrossFit Discussion Board > In Sickness and In Health > Injuries
CrossFit Home Forum Site Rules CrossFit FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Injuries Chronic & Acute

Old 11-09-2009, 06:53 AM   #1
Benjamin Goodale

Profile:
new Vibram Five Fingers + Filthy Fifty = possible stress fracture

so my ankle and leg have been really messed here,... here is how it all started:

about three weeks ago, i got my first bair of VFF KSO's. I wore them around the house for a few dys to get used to them. After I started to feel comfortable in them, i worn the to my affiliate to workout. we did the filthy fifty.

the box jumps were a little harder than usual. with the jumps being 24" rather than 20" like FGB and most other workouts, and with so much less cushion on the bottom of my feet. i had to work harder to rep them out. I am usually pretty good at box jumps and can bounce right back p woith out having to recoil or reben the legs excessively, but today i had to really reset for each jump.

i felt fine after the workout. later that day my right foot and ankle were a bit tender, but this was nothing new as this ankle is often a bit tender in the morning.

then i went out to my car that night and as i was getting in my car, I rolled my ankle off of the edge of a curb. it hurt, but it was not immediately evident that I had seriously injured it.

the next morning the foot/anle/lower leg is killing me! pretty much like a full on sprained ankle. swollen, could barely walk on it, but no brusing per se.

i of course RICE'd it and rested it for about two weeks.

As the ankle has been feeling better, i have been getting back to working out, still taking it easy of course. but now i am experiencing symptoms in my foot/ankle/lower leg that, from what i have read, could be a stress fracture. it usually feels fine while I am working out, but then afterwards the area is extremely sore and I get throbbing pains from what feels like the bones, not the tendons and ligaments. someimte i think it is the lower portionof the fib, other times I think maybe it is more of an issue of the ankle bones, maybe talus or navicular.

thinking back to when i turned my ankle on the curbs, i am sorting of thinking that maybe I had seriously messed up my ankle before slipping on the curb, that maybe I when I stepped on the curb, my ankle gave out because it was painful to step on it and that it is why I then lost control of the limb and rolled it. it all happened so fast it is hard to tell.

at any rate, i am pretty sure that i have stress fracture, or something in that vain. I am going to the doc this week to have it checked out. but in the meantime, trying not to use the ankle.

my questions:

is it possible that the VFF's + box jumps siginificantly contributed to or caused this?

if I do have a stress fracture, should I still be trying to gently stretch the ankle?

should I be doing rolling/massaging/trigger point on the area?
Old 11-09-2009, 07:39 AM   #2
Nick Cummings

Profile:

Re: new Vibram Five Fingers + Filthy Fifty = possible stress fracture

I suggest you seek medical care.
Old 11-09-2009, 08:55 AM   #3
Steven Low

Profile:

It's likely that the stabilizers in your feet were more tired than usual from using VFFs in workout for the first time. Thus when you went to do normal activity such as walking they were too fatigued to correct your improper movement and thus you rolled your ankle.

Sucks... but does happen with too much too fast. F50 is probably a bit too much to do your first workout with...

Getting it checked out by the doc and let us know how it goes.
Old 11-09-2009, 11:42 AM   #4
Benjamin Goodale

Profile:

thanks guys, i will defintiely be goign to the doc and will report any findings.

steven, what you said is preety much what i was guessing that happened. when the foot and ankle first ached a bit before rolling the ankle, it did start sort of at the top of my arch, and thenin the muscles and connective tissue on either side of the ankle.

definitely too much, too soon, another aggravating factor being that i continued wearing the VFF for the rest of the day after the workout, which also involved walking around on concrete floors.

one other noter about the concrete floor: that morning, the box was a bit chilly. the floor is all horse stall matts, directly over concrete slab on grade. i feel like the thermal mass of the cold concrete floor, in combination with having so little material between my feet and the floor, sort of sucked the heat out of my feet. i think maybe this contributed to the muscle fatigue in the foot and ankle.

i just feel so stupid when i get injured.