CrossFit Discussion Board  

Go Back   CrossFit Discussion Board > CrossFit Forum > Exercises
CrossFit Home Forum Site Rules CrossFit FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Exercises Movements, technique & proper execution

Old 10-14-2009, 09:14 PM   #1
Philip Bjorge

Profile:
Can't Power Clean - Need a Sport-Specific Sub

Howdy everyone,
I'm starting up with Starting Strength again in order to get big and strong ()and become a male cheerleader ().

All my lifts are progressing fine with the exception of my power cleans. Why are they not progressing fine? Early arm bend and not hitting triple extension.

When I'm in the presence of coaches (Rip, Burgener, and my crossfit affiliate), I seem to be able to manage them alright. But the second I'm on my own I go back to my old habits.

At the moment, I don't have access to a coach and need a sub for these lifts if I want to progress.

This is my goal - http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lhZ8RILDDbw You must indicate whether your links are Work and Family Safe(WFS)

Looking at the movement, it is a bit similar to the thruster.
I could definitely see linearly progressing on the thruster as possible. At least to a point. Last time I did a thruster I had a tough time putting up 65 for 5 reps. So I feel that I could definitely put another 30 possibly 50+ on it linearly.

Other possible subs include jump shrugs and high pulls. I don't have any experience with these lifts.

So... The options.

1. Thruster
2. Jump Shrug
3. High Pull
4. Follow the WF Novice Program which calls for pullups

Right now I'm leaning towards blackboxing it with the thruster and see what happens.

Do you guys have any thoughts on these lifts and possible sport transferability? Any unforseen issues? Most beneficial movement to incorporate?

Thanks

P.S. I realize most of you probably don't have experience with cheer. But seriously ANY thoughts would be helpful.

Last edited by Philip Bjorge : 10-14-2009 at 09:29 PM.
Old 10-14-2009, 10:44 PM   #2
Jonathan Cedolia

Profile:
Re: Can't Power Clean - Need a Sport-Specific Sub

You could do barbell rows which work the upper back much like the pc.
Old 10-14-2009, 10:59 PM   #3
Blair Robert Lowe

Profile:

Keep on working the power clean. Fortunately, it's a lot easier to learn than the snatch.

On either off days or before hitting the SS workout, work clean progressions.

Start off with jump shrugs, high pulls (shrug with a bent arm pull). Perhaps some cleans from the hang, even muscle cleans. You can find most of these, here:

http://performancemenu.com/exercises...on&sectionID=2 wfs

I have some experience with cheer. Mostly watching them fall on our floor, often smacking each other in the face or breaking things or nearly killing themselves. I know a couple of people big into sports or cheer acro so I've watched quite a bit of it but was never interested myself ( yeah, I know, c'mon holding and throwing cheerleaders in skirts! )

You can thruster 65lbs for 5 reps? So what's your front squat? 95lbs? What's your overhead press? What's your max power clean?

I think doing the cleans will help you more in the longrun if you want to be a spotter doing sports acro than mere pullups. Pullups are good, but learning how to clean and snatch things is good for spotting sports acro. It helps me move equipment in the gym and throw the kids into the pit.

Last edited by Blair Robert Lowe : 10-14-2009 at 11:01 PM.
Old 10-14-2009, 11:16 PM   #4
Philip Bjorge

Profile:

The issue I see with the barbell rows is that they lack the explosive component I'm looking for.

I'm not sure what my deal with thrusters were but my 1RM front squat is a little over 205 lbs (was testing at a globogym and didn't want to dump) and strict overhead press at about 115. Push press around 150. Perhaps I just had issues combining the movements. I'm also incredibly slow.

My power clean is stuck right now at 135 because of absolutely atrocious form - http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5gL_DvbKLRY (WFS). It is atrocious! A month in a half ago, I hang power cleaned 150 for a 1RM (This was with good form - A coach yelling at me).

Looking at the videos of my power cleans - My pulling mechanics off the floor are way off and I can't seem to shake the arm bend. Even with the hang power cleans.

With the snatch, I don't have the arm bend issue and although I've never video'd it, it feels relatively good. I'll video it and post it on Friday I think. Perhaps I should try and linearly progress those? Granted that wouldn't last near as long, but it would provide good overhead stability.

I am no doubt sold on the benefits of the clean. My issue is that right now I can't linearly progress it. You recommend hitting the clean progressions 2-3 times a week. What do you propose replacing the power clean with until I manage to get the movement working right?

Also specific to you Blair, I just got my back handspring and am going to begin work on my back tuck. Any excercises you recommend for improving a gymnasts jump height?

P.S. My Clean video might take a few minutes or hours to "process."

Last edited by Philip Bjorge : 10-14-2009 at 11:24 PM.
Old 10-15-2009, 12:05 AM   #5
William Jackson

Profile:

it doesnt look that terrible. weak transition from first to second pull. try 3-position cleans (floor, below knee, mid thigh). they did wonders for my snatch (it still sucks but...). the below knee position is very useful for teaching the transition IMO.
but if you are only moving cheerleaders, you probably dont need THAT much powere clean strength.
disclaimer: * i know nothing about cheerleading or training for such *
Old 10-15-2009, 12:13 AM   #6
Philip Bjorge

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by William Jackson View Post
it doesnt look that terrible. weak transition from first to second pull. try 3-position cleans (floor, below knee, mid thigh). they did wonders for my snatch (it still sucks but...). the below knee position is very useful for teaching the transition IMO.
but if you are only moving cheerleaders, you probably dont need THAT much powere clean strength.
disclaimer: * i know nothing about cheerleading or training for such *
I need more than 135
Old 10-15-2009, 02:59 AM   #7
Luke Hale

Profile:

May I suggest heavy sandbag shoulders?

...surely there couldn't be a more functional way to train lifting people up/throwing them around?

(apart from actually throwing people around!)
Old 10-15-2009, 07:59 AM   #8
Brian Degenaro

Profile:

Are you at UW traning right now?
Old 10-15-2009, 08:08 AM   #9
Jamie J. Skibicki

Profile:

Every thing you have a problem with in the clean you'll need to throw to hands. Work on it. Focus on full extension. Are you going to have a coach telling you what to do during a game?

Whats your overhead press?
Old 10-15-2009, 08:48 AM   #10
Philip Bjorge

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brian Degenaro View Post
Are you at UW traning right now?
I am at UW... You know someone?

Overhead press is not strong enough in my opinion and probably almost everyone elses. I'm working on it though. Currently, my work set is 100 for 5. Last year I was doing 115 for 5 so I expect to get up to their and then push past it. I noticed that my bench press moved back quite easily to my previous 5RM. I'm hoping the press is similar. (I've always been a bit upper-body challenged.)

I had anticipated working more on push presses, cleans/hang cleans, front squats, and snatches as I got closer to tryouts and exausted my linear gains. (I suppose I'll need to have the clean down by then )

I suppose drilling the clean over and over again will make me eventually learn it? Is that people's experience?