CrossFit Discussion Board  

Go Back   CrossFit Discussion Board > Community > Stuff and Nonsense
CrossFit Home Forum Site Rules CrossFit FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Stuff and Nonsense For off-topic chatter. Keep it PG-13; no sex, politics or religion!

Old 03-15-2009, 04:11 PM   #1
Jeb Smith

Profile:
The biggest waste of time and space ever.

http://www.fastexercise.com/?SID=45918 WFS
Old 03-15-2009, 06:30 PM   #2
Artem Sivak

Profile:
Re: The biggest waste of time and space ever.

Oh Maw Gawd! A real time machine!!! YES! WIN!
Old 03-15-2009, 06:51 PM   #3
David Wood

Profile:

Actually, it's merely very, very expensive.

It's basically a push-pull isokinetic device. Please don't knock it unless you've actually used it (I have).

It provides a very long-range pull (from a very full forward extension to a pull back behind the torso (farther than you can pull on a C2 rower)), followed by a push back in the opposite direction.

The leg action is a very deep stepping motion.

The resistance is of a form referred to as "isokinetic" or "accomodating resistance" . . . essentially, it's a heavy flywheel with a centrifugal brake. The harder you go, the more it resists (I've seen this done with electronics, as well, but this one is all mechanical).

IF (and this is a big if) you have the motivation to go very, very hard . . . it will give you a very, very good workout.

The basics for asserting you only need 4 minutes / day is the same basis that we can do a four-minute Fran (well, maybe you can . . . I've still not broken 6 minutes) and be done for the day. It's four minutes of hell.

Do you "need" to spend this kind of money to get a good workout? Of course not. But it's much more in the spirit of our daily bread and butter than most standard exercise routines. And it is a beautifully made, well engineered machine . . . will easily last the rest of your lifetime.

Please don't knock what you don't understand. If my gym had one of these, I would use it at least occasionally. If I were opening a gym, I would buy one of these before any "weightlifting" machine.
Old 03-15-2009, 07:26 PM   #4
Nancy Cohen

Profile:

Yep, I've tried that ROM machine too. A pilates studio in town has one and I got to demo it.

An intense 4 minutes! If I went to a gym that had one, I would use it!
Old 03-15-2009, 07:34 PM   #5
John Casey

Profile:

I've never used one, but I read an article on it in Popular Science (or was it Mechanics?). Compared to other machines, this certainly has a fine pedigree with the credentials to prove it. Practical application I can't vouch for.
Old 03-15-2009, 08:36 PM   #6
Giles Clarke

Profile:

Iíve seen these thing advertised in in-flight magazines. Iíve always wondered whether they worked or not. I heard that Anthony Robbins, the motivational speaker, has two of them. One that he keeps at home and one he takes on the road.
It seems like a solid concept, but is there any variety to the workout? We can compare it to Fran, but we donít do Fran every day. SOME CrossFit workouts will only take you a few minutes, others might take you 30-40. Itís in that variety that improvements are made. I have never tried a ROM so I donít know. Is it the same workout every time or are there multiple stations on it that you do on differing days?
Old 03-15-2009, 09:39 PM   #7
Jeff S Johnson

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeb Smith View Post

1997 called and it would like to have its proprietary web-design skillz back.

Seriously, hawking a $15,000 machine from a website that couldn't have cost more than $1,500 to have built?
Old 03-16-2009, 09:24 PM   #8
David Wood

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Giles Clarke View Post
Iíve seen these thing advertised in in-flight magazines. Iíve always wondered whether they worked or not. I heard that Anthony Robbins, the motivational speaker, has two of them. One that he keeps at home and one he takes on the road.
It seems like a solid concept, but is there any variety to the workout? We can compare it to Fran, but we donít do Fran every day. SOME CrossFit workouts will only take you a few minutes, others might take you 30-40. Itís in that variety that improvements are made. I have never tried a ROM so I donít know. Is it the same workout every time or are there multiple stations on it that you do on differing days?

Pretty much the same workout everytime, so that's a major drawback. Just a linear push-pull for the upper body, and a deep stepping action for the lower body. Although it's arguably a very long-range push and pull or step (good), the sameness of it and the fairly restricted linear path (there's a little freedom of motion, not much) would drive me crazy.

As an occasional thing, though, it's a blast. It give you a very fine workout. Has a clever interface that tracks your performance ("men will die for points") . . . you start with a high score and watch it ebb away as you tire.
Old 03-16-2009, 09:27 PM   #9
David Wood

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeff S Johnson View Post
1997 called and it would like to have its proprietary web-design skillz back.

Seriously, hawking a $15,000 machine from a website that couldn't have cost more than $1,500 to have built?
The guy's an architect and mechanical engineer, not a web designer (ok, he can hire that talent).

All the love and engineering has gone into the machine . . . it's monstrously overbuilt for home use (probably even for club use) . . . heavy steel, stainless when other stuff would have been cheaper, etc. Not much has gone into presenting it, for sure.
Old 03-17-2009, 09:43 AM   #10
Veronica Carpenter

Profile:

There is a small study in the next town that has a couple of these. I've never seen anyone in it. Seems to me to be a high fangled rower of sort. Maybe I'll go in one day for a complimentary session. Heck it'll only take 4 minutes!