CrossFit Discussion Board  

Go Back   CrossFit Discussion Board > CrossFit Forum > Digital Coaching
CrossFit Home Forum Site Rules CrossFit FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Digital Coaching Post pictures or movies for critique and coaching

Old 02-18-2009, 05:43 PM   #1
Tristan Lang

Profile:
Butterfly Kip cycle time

I took the opportunity to record myself doing butterfly kips during today's death by pullups. One thing that I noticed is that my cycle time for kipping looks a lot slower than it feels when I'm doing them. However, it feels like I'm going as fast as possible.

I think if I try to go any faster my legs would start swinging below my body, turning my body into a pendulum, and I would lose speed overall. Any suggestions on how to increase cycle time while reducing lower body momentum? I feel like it has something to do with transferring the momentum from my legs to my upper body, but I'm at a loss...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qBVlOYHbwgI (wfs)
Old 02-18-2009, 06:10 PM   #2
Ned Ferguson

Profile:
Re: Butterfly Kip cycle time

I think your grip needs to be substantially wider. It looks like that thing you were pulling up on might be limiting the width. Hard to tell.
Old 02-18-2009, 06:55 PM   #3
George Mounce

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tristan Lang View Post
I took the opportunity to record myself doing butterfly kips during today's death by pullups. One thing that I noticed is that my cycle time for kipping looks a lot slower than it feels when I'm doing them. However, it feels like I'm going as fast as possible.

I think if I try to go any faster my legs would start swinging below my body, turning my body into a pendulum, and I would lose speed overall. Any suggestions on how to increase cycle time while reducing lower body momentum? I feel like it has something to do with transferring the momentum from my legs to my upper body, but I'm at a loss...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qBVlOYHbwgI (wfs)
You aren't at a loss, generate more power in your kip. Be more explosive.
Old 02-19-2009, 01:48 AM   #4
Blair Robert Lowe

Profile:

You are pausing for a moment at the bottom as you kick and that is what is slowing down your cycle time. This is probably killing your momentum and increasing your overall work since you aren't being efficient with transferring the momentum.

I've worked slowling down the cycle time to stay paced but we don't need that hitch in the cycle, imo unless there is a reason.

I prefer the BFK starting off with a wide arm pullup grip similar to the distance of finding snatch width ( scarecrow arms with elbows at 90 ). Still it can be done just wider than parallel but it's easier to hit CTB with the snatch grip.
Old 02-19-2009, 12:38 PM   #5
Joey Lajoie

Profile:

I've also noticed that you were slowing yourself quite a bit on the negative part of you pull ups. I find it's a lot faster to explode up and then let yourself drop back down in a circular motion. Let centrifugal force take over and you start right back up the other side of the circle. (That's why I like to call it Buzz-saw kipping when I get going really fast :P)