CrossFit Discussion Board  

Go Back   CrossFit Discussion Board > CrossFit Forum > Nutrition
CrossFit Home Forum Site Rules CrossFit FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Nutrition Diet, supplements, weightloss, health & longevity

Old 02-17-2009, 04:36 PM   #1
Harry Palley

Profile:
Carbohydrate choices

This queston definitely sounds like it can answered with just a few words, but I'm hoping to find an explanation on the why..

I'm hunkering down on my diet, and the last meal I'm working on is... breakfast. My question is... in regards to performance (bfast is meal prior to WOD), which carbohydate source is ideal? Have tinkered with steel cut oats, to sweet potatoes, to fruit in my 5 block breakfast.

Although I'm considerably strict with Paleo, my primary goal here is to perform better at the WOD's. If oats or sweet potatoes will provide a more effecient CHO source for the WOD, over fruit that is, then that's what I would go with.

I hate to be subjective like this, but when I have a dense CHO source in my body before a WOD, I *feel* like I have all this fuel to burn. It's a sensation of satiety that two apples doesn't match... hard to put my finger on it. I'm wondering if this is all in my head, or if there is some science behind it.

Simply put, I'm wondering how ideal fruit, fructose, is before a workout. How readily is the source used for exercise? How effecient is fructose before exercise in comparison to something like sweet potatoes or even oats?
Old 02-17-2009, 04:50 PM   #2
Christopher G. Woods

Profile:
Re: Carbohydrate choices

I have two basic breakfasts. One is scrambled eggs with kiwi, strawberries and blackberries. The other is an omelet made with red potatoes, spinach and onions.
Old 02-17-2009, 04:51 PM   #3
Joe Bernard

Profile:

Experiment to see which carb source works best for you, there is no one supreme carb source to eat pre-workout, although fruits/vegetables are always a good bet. I get what you mean by that feeling of being fuller, it may just be because you are eating a high GI carb source, but I dunno. I get the same feeling whenever I eat white potatoes or a banana, so I am hoping someone knowledgeable about this drops by.

Breakfast is also my pre-workout meal and my carb source varies depending on how I am feeling and if I am at home to steam veggies (no kitchen in a dorm room). Most of the time it's fruit in the form of either an apple, strawberries, or green grapes. When I am home, I sometimes have broccoli. Sometimes I don't even eat any carbs at all, but this is primarily when it's a strength day.

Some people on here eat sweet potatoes PWO due to them having a high GI and the ability of high GI food to replenish muscle glycogen quickly after a workout. But pre-workout, I have no idea if it would be better than fruit.
Old 02-17-2009, 04:57 PM   #4
Harry Palley

Profile:

Right on Joe, the topic of muscle glycogen was what actually prompted me to post this question. With fruit not (as) readily converting to muscle glycogen, I wonder if it would have an impact on how intra-WOD performance fares.

To be honest, I kind of feel the same during the actual WOD. But since it's breakfast, a meal that I will always have control of for the most part, I'm trying to nail it down so that I'm at my best every day, for the long term.

Chris - that omelette sounds damn good. I like that combination. If I wasn't so awful at making omelettes myself, I might make one right now. Do you notice anything different between your two breakfasts?
Old 02-17-2009, 04:57 PM   #5
Jason David

Profile:

My am workouts depend more on what I ate the night before than what I eat that morning. Steak, asparagus and Breyers seem to do the trick the night before.
Old 02-17-2009, 05:18 PM   #6
Gus Gallagher

Profile:

i've actually been doing more fasted workouts in the morning as i workout at 6am and don't really feel like eating prior. at first i felt slightly weaker but have now been getting used to it, even getting a deadlift 3 rep PR yesterday at 6am while fasted
Old 02-17-2009, 05:21 PM   #7
Katherine Derbyshire

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Harry Palley View Post
Chris - that omelette sounds damn good. I like that combination. If I wasn't so awful at making omelettes myself, I might make one right now. Do you notice anything different between your two breakfasts?
Secrets to successful omelets:
1. Non-stick skillet, melted butter, real eggs.
2. Speed. If cooking time is more than a minute or two, you're doing it wrong.
2. Self-acceptance. Until you master the flip, you can call it a skillet scramble instead. Still tastes fine.

Enjoy!

Katherine
Old 02-17-2009, 06:16 PM   #8
George Mounce

Profile:

Quote:
This queston definitely sounds like it can answered with just a few words, but I'm hoping to find an explanation on the why..

I'm hunkering down on my diet, and the last meal I'm working on is... breakfast. My question is... in regards to performance (bfast is meal prior to WOD), which carbohydate source is ideal? Have tinkered with steel cut oats, to sweet potatoes, to fruit in my 5 block breakfast.

Although I'm considerably strict with Paleo, my primary goal here is to perform better at the WOD's. If oats or sweet potatoes will provide a more effecient CHO source for the WOD, over fruit that is, then that's what I would go with.

I hate to be subjective like this, but when I have a dense CHO source in my body before a WOD, I *feel* like I have all this fuel to burn. It's a sensation of satiety that two apples doesn't match... hard to put my finger on it. I'm wondering if this is all in my head, or if there is some science behind it.

Simply put, I'm wondering how ideal fruit, fructose, is before a workout. How readily is the source used for exercise? How effecient is fructose before exercise in comparison to something like sweet potatoes or even oats?
You aren't strict paleo eating oats. Sorry. Drink a shot of espresso with a tsp of honey 30 min before a WOD. I bet you have a great effect and don't have to worry about the rest.
Old 02-17-2009, 07:21 PM   #9
Harry Palley

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by George Mounce View Post
You aren't strict paleo eating oats. Sorry. Drink a shot of espresso with a tsp of honey 30 min before a WOD. I bet you have a great effect and don't have to worry about the rest.
You must have missed the "considerably" right before that George... I prefer to hold to Paleo for the remainder of the day, but if breaking the diet pre-WOD yields better progression long-term, ie eating oats, I'm all for it. That has been my underlying question. Despite the espresso concoction sounding delicious, honey is roughly 40% fructose, roughly similiar to that of an apple.

Appreciate the input everyone - and thanks for the omelete tips Katherine. I'm nasty at "skillet scrambles".
Old 02-17-2009, 07:40 PM   #10
George Mounce

Profile:

Quote:
Despite the espresso concoction sounding delicious, honey is roughly 40% fructose, roughly similiar to that of an apple.
Well I give up. Eat what you want. I'll stick to honey.

And this (wfs) is pretty much why: http://www.fitnesssource1.com/honey_article/honey.html

There are plenty of other studies as well via Google-fu.