CrossFit Discussion Board  

Go Back   CrossFit Discussion Board > CrossFit Forum > Nutrition
CrossFit Home Forum Site Rules CrossFit FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Nutrition Diet, supplements, weightloss, health & longevity

Reply
 
Thread Tools
Old 02-12-2009, 10:19 PM   #1
Patrick Brown
Member Patrick Brown is offline
 
Profile:
Join Date: Sep 2007
Location: San Angelo  TX
Posts: 45
Any non-diabetics test blood sugar to study diet?

I'm curious if anyone has ever tested their blood sugar on a regular basis to analyze the the composition of their diet? I'm talking about non-diabetics with a low glycemic diet goal.

I think it would be interesting to test ones blood sugar before and after meals to determine which foods, and food combos, raise their blood sugar beyond healthy levels. You might find a sensitivity to a food, or find another food doesn't affect you in the way you thought, i.e., a couple of eggs, some nuts, and a snickers (or a banana) for breakfast isn't as bad as you thought.

CrossFit is all about being measurable and repeatable. So following the prescription of low glycemic foods without testing your blood sugar is like doing a WOD without keeping time. Granted, regular testing would be expensive, and there are other reasons to avoid many high glycemic foods. Just food for thought.

Patrick

Last edited by Patrick Brown : 02-12-2009 at 10:21 PM. Reason: clarity
  Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2009, 08:24 AM   #2
Scott Allen Hanson
Member Scott Allen Hanson is offline
 
Profile:
Join Date: Sep 2006
Location: Idaho Falls  Idaho
Posts: 1,008
Re: Any non-diabetics test blood sugar to study diet?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Patrick Brown View Post
I'm curious if anyone has ever tested their blood sugar on a regular basis to analyze the the composition of their diet? I'm talking about non-diabetics with a low glycemic diet goal.

I think it would be interesting to test ones blood sugar before and after meals to determine which foods, and food combos, raise their blood sugar beyond healthy levels. You might find a sensitivity to a food, or find another food doesn't affect you in the way you thought, i.e., a couple of eggs, some nuts, and a snickers (or a banana) for breakfast isn't as bad as you thought.

CrossFit is all about being measurable and repeatable. So following the prescription of low glycemic foods without testing your blood sugar is like doing a WOD without keeping time. Granted, regular testing would be expensive, and there are other reasons to avoid many high glycemic foods. Just food for thought.

Patrick
If you know a diabetic person, the most cost-effective way to measure your blood sugar would be to use their gluco-meter and test it yourself. The cost is pretty low.

The glycemic index is basically what you'd be testing (retesting), but with the combined foods in real meals, something that the GI doesn't really tell you.
  Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2009, 11:35 AM   #3
Trevor Wallace
Member Trevor Wallace is offline
 
Trevor Wallace's Avatar
 
Profile:
Join Date: Oct 2007
Location: Medicine Hat  Alberta
Posts: 119
Re: Any non-diabetics test blood sugar to study diet?

I have a blood tester and some strips. I have been thinking about testing my blood to see where I sit throuout the day but I have never gotten around to it. I will try it out and let you know what I found out.
  Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2009, 06:48 PM   #4
Evan Hobbs
Member Evan Hobbs is offline
 
Evan Hobbs's Avatar
 
Profile:
Join Date: Dec 2008
Location: Portland  OR
Posts: 57
Re: Any non-diabetics test blood sugar to study diet?

I was testing my blood sugar at random intervals for about a week until I ran out of strips. I was wondering if I was having hypoglycemic periods...

In the end I couldn't find a real clear correlation between how I felt and what the reading was; it was always in the range of 75-110 mg/dl. Unless I was really hungry and then it might be 70. One thing that complicates it is I've heard that the testers are only accurate to like +/- 15 which is not a big deal if your blood sugar is at 250 since you know it's high but if it's 70 it might really be 55 or 80, i.e. low or just fine...
  Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2009, 07:17 PM   #5
George Mounce
Banned for Ethical and Integrity Violations George Mounce is offline
 
Profile:
Join Date: Mar 2007
Location: Steens  MS
Posts: 3,295
Re: Any non-diabetics test blood sugar to study diet?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Evan Hobbs View Post
I was testing my blood sugar at random intervals for about a week until I ran out of strips. I was wondering if I was having hypoglycemic periods...

In the end I couldn't find a real clear correlation between how I felt and what the reading was; it was always in the range of 75-110 mg/dl. Unless I was really hungry and then it might be 70. One thing that complicates it is I've heard that the testers are only accurate to like +/- 15 which is not a big deal if your blood sugar is at 250 since you know it's high but if it's 70 it might really be 55 or 80, i.e. low or just fine...
Amazing how the pancreas works!

If you have a tester that is +/- 15 get a better one, that is horrid.

The best testers today are integrated into insulin pumps and give realtime information for the user as well as alerting if levels drop too low.
  Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2009, 10:28 AM   #6
JoAnn Vinson
Member JoAnn Vinson is offline
 
Profile:
Join Date: Mar 2008
Location: new orleans  LA
Posts: 16
Re: Any non-diabetics test blood sugar to study diet?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Evan Hobbs View Post
One thing that complicates it is I've heard that the testers are only accurate to like +/- 15 which is not a big deal if your blood sugar is at 250 since you know it's high but if it's 70 it might really be 55 or 80, i.e. low or just fine...
I've tested mine with a strip tester, I can't recall the brand and/or make, to compare it with my mom who is a type II diabetic. Mine stayed the same within a point over the course of a day. Her blood sugar varied wildly. Until I did this I had thought about asking for one of her old testers to keep at my house so I could monitor it on a regular basis. But it seemed pointless. I don't remember what I was doing with my diet then, I wasn't keeping a log at that point, probably paleo. I was too afraid to test it when I was really fat and my diet was terrible. Now I wish I had so I'd have something to compare it to.
  Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2009, 08:51 AM   #7
Matthew Green
Member Matthew Green is offline
 
Matthew Green's Avatar
 
Profile:
Join Date: Apr 2008
Location: Liverpool  England
Posts: 1,681
Re: Any non-diabetics test blood sugar to study diet?

I test my HbA1c almost daily and i'm not diabetic, it doesn't change........ it shouldn't change.
__________________
'Going Green' 6'2" 194lbs
  Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2009, 04:15 PM   #8
Ari Kestler
Member Ari Kestler is offline
 
Profile:
Join Date: Nov 2006
Location: Baltimore  MD
Posts: 104
Re: Any non-diabetics test blood sugar to study diet?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Matthew Green View Post
I test my HbA1c almost daily and i'm not diabetic, it doesn't change........ it shouldn't change.
You realize this makes no sense right? RBCs have an average life-span of 2-3 months.
  Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2009, 01:57 AM   #9
Matthew Green
Member Matthew Green is offline
 
Matthew Green's Avatar
 
Profile:
Join Date: Apr 2008
Location: Liverpool  England
Posts: 1,681
Re: Any non-diabetics test blood sugar to study diet?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ari Kestler View Post
You realize this makes no sense right? RBCs have an average life-span of 2-3 months.
Indeed, I have to test fresh blood (generally my own) as part of my job. I even (stupidly) tried to keep a completely clean diet for 2 months to see if it would have any effect. HBA1c generally indicates blood glucose over the previous 10-12 weeks but I didn't think that in depth about it before starting. We also have acess to better blood glucose tests but they don't get used very often.
__________________
'Going Green' 6'2" 194lbs
  Reply With Quote
Reply


Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

vB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is Off
HTML code is Off
Forum Jump

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Low blood sugar problems Alistair Stevenson Nutrition 12 07-25-2008 12:50 AM
New Study: Low carb diet with exercise cures Type 2 Diabetes Christian Oggel Nutrition 4 06-14-2008 11:54 AM
High-fat Atkins diet damages blood vessels: study Fred Fialco Nutrition 10 11-07-2007 04:39 PM
Low-Fat Diet Does Not Cut Health Risks, Study Finds David Wood Nutrition 4 02-10-2006 07:46 AM
Chronic low blood sugar...? Scott Parker Nutrition 9 03-08-2004 11:08 AM


All times are GMT -7. The time now is 07:47 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.6.8
Copyright ©2000 - 2020, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
CrossFit is a registered trademark of CrossFit Inc.