CrossFit Discussion Board  

Go Back   CrossFit Discussion Board > Community > Stuff and Nonsense
CrossFit Home Forum Site Rules CrossFit FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Stuff and Nonsense For off-topic chatter. Keep it PG-13; no sex, politics or religion!

Old 12-19-2008, 04:19 PM   #1
Omar Omar

Profile:
what movies do YOu guys like

i personal love
"you got served"
"never back down"
and all similar titles.

how about YOu guys

Last edited by Lynne Pitts : 12-20-2008 at 11:03 AM. Reason: NO AOL-SPEAK!
Old 12-19-2008, 04:45 PM   #2
Jill Zimmerman

Profile:

Re: what movies do u guys like

Blood Simple, No Country for Old Men, River's Edge, Red rock West, The Departed, The Wild Bunch, Once Upon a Time in the West, Notorius
I like dark violent stuff, wonder what that says about me.

You won't catch me watching a chick flick.

...and thanks to one of my cronies on here, Secretary (rental guys eyebrows went up)- dark and sexy yeay a new great combo! Such a great movie.
Old 12-19-2008, 04:52 PM   #3
Jamie J. Skibicki

Profile:

Have you ever seen angle heart? thats a good flick
Old 12-19-2008, 06:37 PM   #4
Frank Dennis

Profile:

Ahh... movies. Some favorites, which I'd highly recommend to anyone who hasn't seen them:

"Young Frankenstein" (Best. Movie. Ever.)

"Clue" (Hilarious, brilliant cast, perfect comedic timing)

"The Last of Sheila" (ancestor of movies like "The Game", "Wild Things", etc... and better than all of them, you'll never ever figure it out before they tell you)

"The Changeling" (the 1980 one with George C. Scott)

"The Wicker Man" (The 1973 one with Christopher Lee, how the $!@# could they remake this movie!?! With Nicholas Cage!! Where's my gun...)

"Banlieue 13" (released as "District B-13" in the US, great French action flick w/ lots of parkour action and actors-do-their-own-stunts stunts. Hope you don't mind subtitles, 'cause the dubbing is not top notch...)

"Murder By Death" (another murder comedy, "Clue" borrows heavily from this, but "Clue" is, I think, a better flick. Still, this is great, especially if you read any sleuth-style mysteries)

"Tron" (Yeah, I know... but this and "The Last Starfighter", which is a terrible movie, are where CGI got their start. Simple story, visually stunning)

"Apt Pupil" (Awesome, dark, chilling in places... you can't go wrong with Sir Ian McKellan playing a Nazi)

"The Big Lebowski" (Have cream and vodka handy...)

"Hot Fuzz" (genius British cop action comedy)

"Shaun of the Dead" (same guys as above, genius British zombie action comedy)

That's about it for now, I'm sure I'll think of more later... these are my favorite favorites, though.
Old 12-19-2008, 06:41 PM   #5
Andrew Thompson

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jamie J. Skibicki View Post
Have you ever seen angle heart? thats a good flick
That's a sick flick. Watched it for the first time a very long time ago, and many scenes stayed with me for a long time.
Old 12-19-2008, 06:47 PM   #6
Darrell E. White

Profile:

Shawshank Redemption. 'Nuff said.
Old 12-19-2008, 08:24 PM   #7
Jill Zimmerman

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Frank Dennis View Post
Ahh... movies. Some favorites, which I'd highly recommend to anyone who hasn't seen them:

"Young Frankenstein" (Best. Movie. Ever.)

"Clue" (Hilarious, brilliant cast, perfect comedic timing)

"The Last of Sheila" (ancestor of movies like "The Game", "Wild Things", etc... and better than all of them, you'll never ever figure it out before they tell you)

"The Changeling" (the 1980 one with George C. Scott)

"The Wicker Man" (The 1973 one with Christopher Lee, how the $!@# could they remake this movie!?! With Nicholas Cage!! Where's my gun...)

"Banlieue 13" (released as "District B-13" in the US, great French action flick w/ lots of parkour action and actors-do-their-own-stunts stunts. Hope you don't mind subtitles, 'cause the dubbing is not top notch...)

"Murder By Death" (another murder comedy, "Clue" borrows heavily from this, but "Clue" is, I think, a better flick. Still, this is great, especially if you read any sleuth-style mysteries)

"Tron" (Yeah, I know... but this and "The Last Starfighter", which is a terrible movie, are where CGI got their start. Simple story, visually stunning)

"Apt Pupil" (Awesome, dark, chilling in places... you can't go wrong with Sir Ian McKellan playing a Nazi)

"The Big Lebowski" (Have cream and vodka handy...)

"Hot Fuzz" (genius British cop action comedy)

"Shaun of the Dead" (same guys as above, genius British zombie action comedy)

That's about it for now, I'm sure I'll think of more later... these are my favorite favorites, though.
Walk this way...
Yes I loved Young Frankenstein and Shaun of the Dead and Hot Fuzz (the foley work in this movie was awesome) were both just great.

I used to show movies in college. You should see Andy Warhol's Dracula three times in a row 5 7 and 9 PM with the college kid audience getting progressively drunker. This was when you could drink at 18. The audience's experience has quite the effect on your experience as well.
Old 12-19-2008, 08:35 PM   #8
Howard Wilcox

Profile:

I swear, as I get older I tend to like less and less put out by hollywood (with a few notable exceptions). I HATE CGI and shaky-cam. The first is rarely needed (exception for stuff like LOTR), the second is lazy choreography IMHO.

Thankfully, netflix and some searching can lead to really good stuff. Some random stuff from the last year:

The Lives of Others
Zodiac
Eastern Promises
Charlie Wilson's War
Gone Baby Gone
3:10 to Yuma
No Country for Old Men
The Last King of Scotland
Mr. Brooks
American Gangster
The Kite Runner
In Bruges
Atonement
Wall-E
Into the Wild
This is England
Transsiberian
The King of Kong

That's not all of course, but those were all pretty good, most were excellent (I left out bombs, which is rare, but does happen when experimenting). Some are hollywood but not really blockbusters. Many are foreign. Some will keep you up at night (Gone Baby Gone is very disturbing). Some should likely be owned by everyone to show their children for history's sake (The Lives of Others, The Last King of Scotland). Some are just a hoot (Charlie Wilson's War). Some show how good a real thriller can be (Zodiac, Transsiberian).

With notable exceptions like The Dark Knight (which I'll likely buy), I avoid most blockbuster-type stuff. I seem to be happier because of it.

howard

edit: I thought Hot Fuzz was a riot...thanks for mentioning it.

Last edited by Howard Wilcox : 12-19-2008 at 08:38 PM.
Old 12-19-2008, 08:47 PM   #9
Casey Raiford

Profile:

Heat
Spartan
Ronin
Last of the Mohicans

...and most of the movies in a similar vein listed above (3:10 to Yuma, No Country, etc).

Looking forward to The Road, form the Cormac Mcarthy novel.
Old 12-19-2008, 08:56 PM   #10
Howard Wilcox

Profile:

Agreed on Ronin for sure...and I think it has the best car-chase scenes of any movie out there (they seem way better done than the French Connection and Bullit, IMHO). Very well done. And lots of sigs, which is always a plus.

howard