CrossFit Discussion Board  

Go Back   CrossFit Discussion Board > CrossFit Forum > Fitness
CrossFit Home Forum Site Rules CrossFit FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Fitness Theory and Practice. CrossFit's rationale & foundations. Who is fit? What is fitness?

Old 12-29-2006, 07:52 PM   #1
Josh Brehm

Profile:
I hurt my knee in some way (I think I stretched-or something- my quadricep tendon. i'll find out for sure on the 4th) a year ago, but for the most part since june it's been doing fine. it's only been a little stiff every now and then. then maybe a month ago, i took two weeks completely off from all fitness. my knee started aching again like crazy. I started up a strength program (bill starr's 5x5) m/w/f with cf workouts t/t/s. I followed this for a few weeks, but my knee was still killing me. so then this past week i went back to 3/1 WODS as posted and after this block (i call a set of 3days on and 1 day off a block) my knee is already feeling better. why is it that only crossfit type training seems to help restore my knee and other strength work seems to only aggrivate it?
Old 12-29-2006, 08:18 PM   #2
Garry Berryhill

Profile:
Sounds like you wanted too much too quickly. You had a painful tendon in your thigh and you started squatting 4-6 times a week with near max loading once every microcycle.

You were asking for reinjury.

Now you're backing off, using lighter loads and far less squat tonnage, doing frequent work to keep your mobility and your old injury is improving. I'm just a meathead (an injured, fat one to boot), but I can see a relationship there.