CrossFit Discussion Board  

Go Back   CrossFit Discussion Board > Community > Community
CrossFit Home Forum Site Rules CrossFit FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Community Catch all category for CrossFit community discussion.

Old 06-16-2008, 02:10 PM   #1
Robert D Taylor Jr

Profile:
CrossFit front page in Navy Times

There is a real good article in the Navy Times on CrossFit. It's got interviews from CF Coronado, and some Quantico Marine Os and pictures from CrossFit Va Beach. I can't wait to tell my unit that after June 29 they will have a guest CF level I trainer in their presence. Me until I retire.
Old 06-16-2008, 02:24 PM   #2
Kermit Partain

Profile:
Re: CrossFit front page in Navy Times

Good article, exposing even more military personnel to the wonders of CrossFit. It was in all the Defense Times publications ( Army, Navy, Air Force Times )
Old 06-17-2008, 06:10 AM   #3
Frank DiMeo

Profile:

That's great news! Have you got links on those articles?
Old 06-17-2008, 07:50 AM   #4
Dave Parmly

Profile:

http://www.armytimes.com/news/2008/0...rhaul_061408w/

Here's the AT version. This is GREAT news. The Lt. General quoted in the article, Ben Freakley, is a helluva warrior and a common-sense guy. I'm not surprised Ben's involved in this.
Old 06-17-2008, 08:57 AM   #5
Robert D Taylor Jr

Profile:

I'm not smart enough in computer stuff to do that.
Old 06-17-2008, 10:17 AM   #6
Dave Taylor

Profile:

Thats not the article from AT. That was last weeks AT, this week its in a side note on the front page and not on the AT website yet
Old 06-21-2008, 06:58 AM   #7
John Wood

Profile:

This was a really great article, and it couldn't have come at a better time. I'm the command fitness leader for a 500 person Navy command and have been incorporating CrossFit principles into our workouts for some time now There has been very little support from the base though. I was actually told by one of the MWR trainers that, "We HATE CrossFit". Of course, this is mostly due to the fact that they all got mail order certifications and know very little about fitness. I'm glad this article gives some legitimacy to what we're doing.

Since the article came out, I've been asked countless times about CrossFit and what it's all about. The Navy's outlook on fitness has always been a joke to me, so I was ecstatic to see them write about CrossFit in such a positive light.
Old 06-21-2008, 07:03 AM   #8
Jerry Hill

Profile:

Same article Made Marine Corp and Army Times!
Old 06-21-2008, 08:36 AM   #9
Casey Raiford

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by John Wood View Post
command fitness leader for a 500 person Navy command... There has been very little support from the base though...MWR trainers ...mail order certifications and know very little about fitness...
Navy's outlook on fitness has always been a joke to me, so I was ecstatic to see them write about CrossFit in such a positive light.

I feel ya John. I was the CFL at a 700 Sailor "A" school for a couple of years and have always despised the so-called culture of fitness. A lot of people call it the Three Mile a Year Club for good reason. The Navy's never really been serious about fitness, otherwise we'd do something other than situps, pushups and 1.5 mile run/walk every six months. Don't even get me started on FEP and ostensibly organized PT sessions.

No surprise that you get pushback from MWR. That particular mafia is also usually pretty high on my $hit list. If they can find a way to ban CF to keep their customer base they will in a heartbeat. I'd try to get some command endorsement of CF is possible, just to head them off.

Keep up the good work as CFL, that's generally right up there with UPC in terms of being a thankless job.

PS: At a guess, do you happen to get most of your PFA failures from young kids?
Old 06-21-2008, 10:25 AM   #10
Robert D Taylor Jr

Profile:

I've been a CFL on two occasions.
One was a "successful" I worked at an 800 person command and had measureable success because the BMCM who oversaw the program let me run wild. I wasn't doing CF at the time, but we were doing indian runs and cals in an intense manner. I was training for SWCC so it benefitted me too.

This time, I had measurable success too, but nobody noticed 'cause right before she retires a Chief in my program came ill of an MC who found every discrepancy in my paperwork but didn't notice that I helped every single other person come off FEP (using CFish methods) They wanted me to take the position 'cause I'm a good motivator, they're lying about converstaions that were had 32 years ago, and I'm ready to retire.